Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/17/2014 4:35:00 PM EDT
I've been doing some searching to find extreme long distance shooting ranges in the Midwest.  I've found some good options so I thought I would share since there isn't much here in Iowa to support long range precision shooting.  If any of you know of other options in the Midwest post them up.  I would like to hit a couple of these spots next year with my goal being to hit a mile with my 260.

Nice shot shooting range near Peoria Illinois.  The website lists it as 1280 yards, but I've read other sources that say it's capable of 1700 yards.  I haven't contacted them yet, but plan to do so soon.  The big positive about this is it is by reservation only so you will have the range to yourself.
Nice shot shooting range

Spearpoint Ranch in Kansas
Spear point ranch
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have friends in the 1000 yard game.  I believe there is a range in western Illinois that has matches, the  name escapes me.  Van Meter can do 800 as I recall (its been awhile since I was there),  Doesn't the Brownells range go out a ways?

It's tough in the Midwest.  Ground is just to valuable to turn into a shooting range.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownells range is very nice, but only goes to 500 yards.  It's very close to me also I've been there before and it is a nice place to test loads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That looks like a nice option.  I read the rules and it looks like you have to be prequalified to use the tower and the 1600 yard range.  Do you have any information on prequalification?  Is it just a demonstration of skill or do you have to be friends with someone to get in?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I just saw it when I was working in the middle of nebraska. I almost drove out to it when they had a public shoot, but it was a bit too far.

I bet the people living by it don't know how lucky they are.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If you do go I'd like to tag along and watch I think it would be a blast after the NV shoot I have the itch for some long range shooting
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you do go I'd like to tag along and watch I think it would be a blast after the NV shoot I have the itch for some long range shooting
View Quote

It's not a matter of if, but when  I'm thinking about making more than one trip.  At least one trip we are making a family deal with momma and my boy.  I'm leaning towards the range near Peoria for that trip because of the ability to have the range to our selves.  We are currently looking at buying a budget camera that will be capable of videoing some of my long range shoots to take with us.  

I'd like to go sometime in late winter/early spring and again in the middle of summer.  I would be open to making a trip with a group of arfcom guys to one of these locations sometime next summer though for sure.

I'm glad the NV shoot helped get you interested in long range shooting.  It's really not as hard as some people think you just have to do your homework and put in the time.  Once you understand what is going on and get practice with wind calls it's just a matter of testing in as many different conditions and ranges as possible to really get it dialed.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#8]
There were 2 popular ones in Indiana. One outside of Wabash, Indiana (bassandbucks.com) and another outside of Fort Wayne.

I think both of them had steel out to 1,000-1,200yds. I never went to one while I lived out there because I was about as broke as the US Government at the time.

Bit far to drive for us Hawkeyes too, but it's an option.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have friends in the 1000 yard game.  I believe there is a range in western Illinois that has matches, the  name escapes me.  Van Meter can do 800 as I recall (its been awhile since I was there),  Doesn't the Brownells range go out a ways?

It's tough in the Midwest.  Ground is just to valuable to turn into a shooting range.
View Quote

brownells is 500.  van meter is 600.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you talking about Rivoli Rifle Club?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a place to shoot to 900 in the winter and spring time. During waterfowl season it is closed due to hunting. We have a nice small building set up for almost 500 yds all the time when we can shoot. If we take a table or feel like laying in the dirt, we can get to 900+. We have a bunch of ar500 plates to shoot at.

The shack is the grey one next to the barn. This was when we were shooting at 900+ at a 24" plate.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anybody know about the range near 3 mile lake and Afton? I heard it might be around 500 yards and is about 2 years old and still growing. Plus cheap memberships.

Looks promising.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to check out the range today. It's on the north side of 3 Mile lake in Afton.

It has berms out to 500 yards. As well as some pistol bays and trap. Membership is $45 per year.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Any links?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does anybody know about the range near 3 mile lake and Afton? I heard it might be around 500 yards and is about 2 years old and still growing. Plus cheap memberships.

Looks promising.

http://www.crestonnews.com/_internal/cimg!0/61stef4dw9oum212wkwmlchtf874ex9
View Quote

1577 Creamery Rd Afton, IA 50830
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks promising.

That address turned out to be wrong. It was a mile north and 2 miles west of there.   http://maps.google.com/?q=41.113164,-94.238850&hl=en&gl=us

They have contact info on a bulletin board but not website or anything I've found.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That address turned out to be wrong. It was a mile north and 2 miles west of there.   http://maps.google.com/?q=41.113164,-94.238850&hl=en&gl=us

They have contact info on a bulletin board but not website or anything I've found.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks promising.

Thanks for the corrected info.  

I'm down in SW Iowa a lot and remember seeing the planning stages for that range a few years ago.
Joe
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top