Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/15/2014 11:55:26 PM EDT
I'm just curious if any one else here use a century link Internet service? I currently have their service but it keeps dropping out and it is going to be two weeks before someone can come and fix it it is to the point where I am fed up and I would like to call and cancel. I really dislike mediacom but at least when I had them my service to not cut in and out and stop working for days on end does anyone else have any other options for a Internet provider located in the Des Moines area? I really dislike using my phone from my Internet services

Also I really dislike pressing one for English only to be transferred to India to speak to someone who really does not speak even crappy. And I keep getting ( no problems on our end)
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm...we have century link internet and have had it for a couple years.  About a month ago we had our first problem.  We lost our connection on a Friday and it was fixed on Saturday.  They said there was a line cut in our area.  We got a week taken off our bill and we got upgraded to high speed for free.  I have better luck letting the misses call customer service because by the time I get a real person on the line I've already lost my patience.  I will say that we had media com prior to this and their customer service was the worst I've ever experienced.  Normal wait time for customer service with media com was 45 minutes plus to get a person and I'm not exaggerating.  With Century link she had a person in about 5 minutes.

I really think females are more successful when dealing with customer service in general.  They just always seem to be more willing to help a female regardless of what service they provide.  Much to her displeasure she gets to make ALL of the customer service calls...lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here.  Century link has been A Ok for the most part.  Fast enough that we can use the internet, watch netflix and a kid can play xbox without lag for the most part.

I know mediacom is faster in Des Moines, however not sure it's fast enough for double the price
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I guess the only reason why I am upset is it is taking 2 weeks to get someone to fix my service I don't download movies or play games the extent of my downloads are Arfcom and YouTube other than that it's surfing the net I don't even own a computer I have my phone and a tablet the gf uses a computer but she needs it for work to research meds and side effects and such just very frustrating
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I had CenturyLink for several years with no problems. Last April  I let Mediacom talk me into switching to their service. They were claiming blazing internet speeds, far faster than what I had at the time.   It was like going back to dial up. Sometimes thirty seconds to load a page. When it becomes economically feasible to break my contract I am going back to CenturyLink and NEVER coming back to Mediacom.

There does that help?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had it for about eight months now.  It ha  been working quite well.  And fuck mediacom.  They were a fucking nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Had Mediacom for a few years, fuck that shit, netflix wouldn't come in for shit.  Century link for the last 10 months, it's miles beyond Media Com bullshit service.  eta:  In des moines century link is around three times faster IME.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had Centurylink for a while.  No problems until a few months ago when I started getting intermittent loss of signal.  The losses were fairly short, usually less than a couple of minutes, but it can be a little aggravating at times.  Supposedly getting a DSL upgrade at the end of the month.  We'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
You are going to find completely random stories / anecdotes from every person depending on exactly where the person is located. This is because different speeds are available from each company in different areas, which is an effect of how old and how well built their infrastructure is in that exact area.
Depending on where, and what services are available there, you could literally have speeds as low as 150kBps, or as high as 500,000 kBps. This can also be further hindered or enhanced by the number of people in their neighborhood (network node) that are using the internet at that exact time, and how much data they are collectively trying to pull.

In short: get both, if they have a 1-month refund guarantee, and then cancel the one you like less.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had them since I moved to Ankeny 5 years ago.  I can count on one hand, the number of times it has crapped out on me.  That is not, counting a possum chewing through the cable going into my house.  They did quote me about two weeks to come out and fix it, I didn't want to wait for them so I took care of it myself.  I know in some of the newer areas they have some good speeds.  I am getting 50 down 5 up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had CenturyLink for about two years now, haven't had a single issue. I absolutely hate Mediacom and won't ever do business with them again. They are terribly spotty and slow to fix issues.

I also prefer DirecTV. Not sure if it's appropriate here, but I just received two of those $10off/month referral vouchers if anyone is looking for new service.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top