Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/7/2014 8:36:04 PM EDT
My wife moved to the country 6 months ago and we have been waiting on all the immigration paperwork to be able to get her driver's license.  We have that now and are going to try to get her license this week.

She is worried and nervous that she will have to take the driving test, and she hasn't driven in the 6 months she has been here though I am confident she would not have any issues..  I have never known anyone who had to take it, but reading on their site it sounds like it is by appointment.  My assumption is that if she does have to take it they will make an appointment at some point in the future, and not make her take it that very day.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
we used to get foreign interns in to help on the farm from the Ukraine.  They would have to take the written and driving test in order to get a license in Iowa.  Most of the time they would pass the driving test with out issue, but the written test was usually the problem just because of the language barrier.  When I would take them in for their driving test, it was just a basic drive around a few blocks and park a couple different ways (parallel and straight in parking).

Back when I first got my permit and license, I never had to do a driving test.  I guess i was one of the lucky ones.  The only time i had to do a driving test was when I got my class A cdl.  Even when I did that test it was a breeze.

Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank God Kansas didn't make parallel parking part of their test. I doubt I'd pass the test if I had to do that.

When I moved to Iowa, they just gave me the DL when I surrendered my KS DL.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure the vehicle you bring to the DOT to take your test is 100% functional... lights all working, signals working, mirrors in place, horn working, etc. The DOT will check prior to the test.  The actual driving test is not hard for most people.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I did.  In 1969.  I did it with a 3/4 ton International pickup.  

kwg
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure the vehicle you bring to the DOT to take your test is 100% functional... lights all working, signals working, mirrors in place, horn working, etc. The DOT will check prior to the test.  The actual driving test is not hard for most people.
View Quote

This... I had to take it a long time ago and they do go over the vehicle. Just drive a few blocks, park and drive back, Test isn't too hard. Make sure to signal for everything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's she from? My wife took the driving test a few years ago in Iowa.  She drove on a permit for 2 years before someone noticed that it wasn't a full-blown licence. Opps!

I'll ask her tonight and post then

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I did passed on the first try
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the great responses everyone!

She is from Mexico, and I don't expect her to have any problems passing other than being nervous.  She has a brand new car so passing the inspection shouldn't be an issue hopefully, but I'll give it a double check.

My main reason for wanting to know if she will have to do it the day she goes or when she goes to apply is to know if I need to take her car or my car.  She doesn't feel comfortable driving my car, and I dislike driving hers.  Big problems right :).

I'm going to try to see if I can get a hold of them tomorrow and see what they say.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had to drive twice.
'Cuz b*tch failed me; said I wasn't downshifting the truck right.
I didn't have a load, residential streets up to all of 20 mph... who downshifts?
I went back a week later and got the same examiner; I cranked the rpms WAY up and made it OBVIOUS I knew how to downshift.
We went all of a block or so and she said "Alright, I get it, let's go back."
Damn skippy.

When we turned 16 it was a random thing as to whether or not you drove; of my 6 or 7 best friends, all of them drove, I didn't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife took the written test and waiting for a few hours for the driving test when a appointment time opened up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I gave them a call today and we'll see how well it works out tomorrow.  

Basically she has to drive.  Once she passes the written test, fingers crossed, they typically will make an appointment for her to come do the driving test.  They said it was unlikely she could do it the same day unless someone cancelled.

The good news is it sounds like she can get a permit to at least drive with me to practice a little bit.

I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Have her watch the Fast and Furious movies before she goes in and tell her that's how it's done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Ha ha!

Well she passed the written test.  The soonest she can take the driving test is September 20th which I wasn't too thrilled about, but what can you do.

She was supposed to get her permit to practice with me, but we continue to have issues with immigration confirming her information so we have another wait for that.

Fun fun.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I had to take the drive test...
Instructor told me I took too wide of turns... If I have the room I'm taking it.

I didn't have to when I was 17 though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have class B CDL so I had to take a driving test in a bus, do an obstacle course, and do an inspection...

It was a, bump a curb you fail, type of deal...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had to take the drive test...
Instructor told me I took too wide of turns... If I have the room I'm taking it.

I didn't have to when I was 17 though.
View Quote

And somehow you're allowed to drive delivery trucks...

I fear for the less tested drivers on the road.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Failed the test several times in Mason City, very picky examiners who couldn't seem to make up their minds, and I'd be failed for doing what I was told to do the previous time. Example, going through uncontrolled intersections(first time I took it). I didn't slow down in case someone was coming through the intersection(going slow enough to safely stop if necessary due to right of way). The following week I failed it because I did slow down a bit in the uncontrolled intersections.

Took it in New Hampton, passed without issue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Well just got back from a business trip, but she didn't pass last weekend. :(

The lady giving the exam said her driving portion was all fine, but how she handled her manual transmission coming into stops was not acceptable. My wife doesn't down shift coming into stop signs, she clutches, puts it in neutral, and brakes.  I don't have a lot of experience there either, but my take away was they wanted her to down shift, never be in neutral. Something along those lines.

We try again next Tuesday.  Trying to talk her into using my car with an automatic, but she doesn't want to.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top