Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/3/2014 4:28:57 PM EDT
I have read a lot of info on this ARF and links from ARF, but I was curious what the Iowa HTF crowd as to say good, bad or indifferent about other AR calibers.  I have a lower ready to go, but have been waffling about what to build for the upper.  It is not set up as a precision lower, but has a good set of components.  

Since I know most of you active posters, that gives you a bit more credibility (or not) over what others I have posted.  If you want to get specific over what gas lengths, twist rates or barrel lengths you think would work best with which calibers, that would help in the purchasing phase of this operation.

I will hold back what caliber I am favoring at the moment, so as not to sway the discussion.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
While I prefer the 5.56, a good secondary is the 300 AAC Blackout. If you build an upper in that caliber, it's easy to switch from one to the other as they use the same mags & bolt. Plus you can use it to hunt deer as well!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I just finished a 5.45 and it will probably be the only one I build.  It was fun a caliber to build and it took me quite a lot of thinking and research to get to the decision of a 5.45.  The 300 BO is a good caliber too.  But the barrel length is limited as it was a round designed for sbr's.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Naw! The 300 AAC works great on a 16" platform! You can't go longer, but considering it's range capabilities, you don't really need a longer barrel anyway. The 5.45 looks interesting, but you can't legally deer hunt with it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just finished a 5.45 and it will probably be the only one I build.  It was fun a caliber to build and it took me quite a lot of thinking and research to get to the decision of a 5.45.  The 300 BO is a good caliber too.  But the barrel length is limited as it was a round designed for sbr's.  Just my $.02
View Quote

It wasnt designed for an SBR length.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a few 5.45 guns.   I think they are cool the ammo deal blows.

I want to build a 6.5 grendal some day.   I will probably build a 300 when we can have cans.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny cause every piece of information I have ever read on the 300BO says it was designed for a barrel less than 16". Even when you look at barrel manufacturers ,a very limited number even make a 16" barrel.  Take BA for instance.    Out of all the barrels Kyle makes for the 300 only one is 14.5 which is also the longest he turns. The rest are all 8", 9" 10" etc.

I probably mis spoke when I said it was designed for sbr's. It really is an optimal round for shorter barrels due to the ballistics of the round.  Definately not a long range round.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
What I would love to see is a AR10 based 7.62x54R upper.  I played with a 9mm upper, but sold it. My HiPoint carbine does that for cheaper.  I'm thinking of going with a .50 Beowulf short sbr upper on my AR pistol.  This would be great for gun season deer hunting if the recoil isn't too much for the sig pistol brace.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

While I prefer the 5.56, a good secondary is the 300 AAC Blackout. If you build an upper in that caliber, it's easy to switch from one to the other as they use the same mags & bolt. Plus you can use it to hunt deer as well!

View Quote
I should have mentioned that I already have a rock solid 5.56 carbine, that I have taken through 2 CCA classes, and a 5.56 pistol with a 7.5" barrel.  It is quite the blaster.  

The next build will be more is for a Iowa deer legal caliber, but more for a rifle that can put a bigger punch on target of a heavier round on a AR platform.  I have even taken a look at the 450 bushmaster and 458 Socom rounds.  They seem to be pretty pricey and I am not a reloader at this point.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What I would love to see is a AR10 based 7.62x54R upper.  I played with a 9mm upper, but sold it. My HiPoint carbine does that for cheaper.  I'm thinking of going with a .50 Beowulf short sbr upper on my AR pistol.  This would be great for gun season deer hunting if the recoil isn't too much for the sig pistol brace.
View Quote

7.62x54R won't fit through the mag well..
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I should have mentioned that I already have a rock solid 5.56 carbine, that I have taken through 2 CCA classes, and a 5.56 pistol with a 7.5" barrel.  It is quite the blaster.  

The next build will be more is for a Iowa deer legal caliber, but more for a rifle that can put a bigger punch on target of a heavier round on a AR platform.  I have even taken a look at the 450 bushmaster and 458 Socom rounds.  They seem to be pretty pricey and I am not a reloader at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ryan aka rbhooves aka sir vision guy ( get it they call knights sir and its night vision?) anyway he is building a 458.  You could too then when you shoot the store bought rounds you could give him the brass for free.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks...
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That sucks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks...

6.5 creedmoor does though
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I could be wrong, but I thought that hunting deer with a rifle was only allowed during January antlerless season in the lower 2 tiers of counties?  The DNR site for the hunting seasons says there is no January antlerless season this year.  Just thought I would mention that if anyone was purchasing a specific caliber just for hunting deer.

2014 Deer hunting seasons

I personally like to keep my number of calibers to a minimum.  Less different types of ammo to stock up on.  All my AR15's are 223/5.56, all my handguns are 9mm, my shotgun is 12 gauge and if I bought another one it would be 12 gauge also, my bolt action is 260 Remington.  I could see eventually owning a larger caliber bolt action as well like a 300 win mag or 338 lapua.  

In order to justify another caliber for myself personally it must serve a completely different purpose than anything I currently own.  So in an AR15 or AR10 type platform the only thing I would consider would be something in the 6.5 variety like a 6.5 creedmoor or a 260 Remington.  Since I'm already set up for reloading 260 and like to keep my calibers to a minimum that would be the only other semi auto caliber I would be interested in.  The 260 does create some issues in a semi auto, but I believe it can be tuned to work.  The 6.5 Grendel doesn't offer enough improvement in external ballistics to be worth it in my opinion.  I routinely shoot 223 out to 800 yards in reasonable winds and have made hits at 1000 yards on an idpa target with my 223 in a 7 mph wind from my 10 o'clock.  The Grendel would make that easier, but it isn't enough improvement to be worth getting into reloading another caliber.  If I need something better than the 223 for long range the 260 has that covered.

If you are wanting a larger round for close quarters home defense type scenerios then over penetration becomes more of an issue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Does your caliber count matter to you? I hate stocking all the various calibers but I just can't bring myself to let the firearms go.

If it does perhaps build this one out as your percision 5.56 rifle. Put a quality 18 or 20" barrel on it with quality glass.

If not the sky is the limit. If you want bigger holes look at 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf or any of the other oversized rounds that fit in the AR15 magwell. If you do get into these and don't have deep pockets I would highly recommend getting a single stage press and dies. In a caliber such as 458 SOCOM the cost per round goes way down when you roll your own.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I am not too worried about adding a caliber, it would initially be a low volume entry.  I am standardized on .22, .40, 5.56 and 12 gauge right now. The Iowa Jan. rifle season does play into this, but also more filling the gap for larger game, I would love to go get some hogs.  

I think reloading could be in my future, and this new round would probably be the tipping point for me to get in elbows deep.  

At this point I think I am stuck between 6.8 and the .458/450.    This is also going to be a slow evolution acquiring pieces as deals are encountered.   If I do go 6.8 route, I plan on getting a whole 2nd make of mags, right now I am 100% Magpul, so next would probably GI or Lancer, so there is lesser chance and confusion.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#16]
9mm, 6.5G, 6.5C, 5.56/.223 Wylde

7.5", 10.5", Several 14.5", 18", 19.5"

Variety is the spice of life.

I let the 6.8 go, kept the 6.5G.  Next build will either be a 6.5G pistol upper or a .50 beo/.458 Hog gun. We smacked them with 77gr. HPBT's last year and they took several to get down.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
you guys know we build a ton of this stuff...  the most popular is the 556 of course.  

the other two we do the most are 300BO and 6.5Grendel.  we do a handful of 204s, 17remingtons, 6.8SPC, the occasional 5.45x39, 50Beowulf, 458SOCOM, and those that are similar...

i preached for years, with no way to back it up other than street talk and volume coupled with market perception, that the 6.5G was here to stay.  i believe we're seeing that.  i think it is safe to say the 6.5G has edged out the 6.8SPC.  i was never a fan of the SPC, but for the purpose it was intended, it does fine.  it simply can't do what the 6.5 can and is less versatile.  i think the 300BO may have some staying power too.  yes, it was intended for subsonic and suppressed use, but it does have some medium range attributes that are pretty good in 16" sticks.  like BRob said, you can try to stretch it way out there, but that isn't what it was designed for, so keep in mind how specialized your equipment and load will be if you head down that road.

people are boo hoo'ing about the 5.45.  that ammo will simply come from another supply route, so keep your pants on...  204 is nice, but pretty limited to varmints and paper punching.  the bigger cals like 50 and 458 are fine, but they thump a little bit and people skip them for high volume shooting.  that leads me back to 6.5G and 300BO.  i saw bill alexander was selling steel cased wolf 6.5G for $118 for 500 rounds the other day.  that's very reasonable shooting.  the BO is costly at the moment, but it'll come down as more folks jump in.

those two would be my recommendations...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Another thing that no one is mentioning, is that the 300 BO uses the same mags, and pretty much everything. except the barrel, is the same. Add to that, the brass is easily made from 5.56/223 brass, and most of the 30 cal bullets for reloading aren't hard to come by either!

No big dollar expenditure to go with the 300 AAC BO!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Up north here we have seen little to none 300BO ammo.  Even the lgs can't get it or gets very little of it.  And what they get of it they get top dollar for.  I would
Love to build a 300BO but would also like a reasonable and accessible supply of ammo to go with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Reloading the 300 BO is the only way to go! The EE has lots of brass for sale, and the rest of the components are out there at most places. Load data is easy to find as well.............

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Up north here we have seen little to none 300BO ammo.  Even the lgs can't get it or gets very little of it.  And what they get of it they get top dollar for.  I would
Love to build a 300BO but would also like a reasonable and accessible supply of ammo to go with it.
View Quote

If you are relying on local shops in Iowa to provide your ammo and call it accessible there is a problem.  I buy almost no ammo locally.  Where in the 'north' are you?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
7.62x40 WT?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
6.8 is on my radar if I ever get to live my wet dream of hunting hogs in texas
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you believe All Gore's global warming shit then those hogs should be moving in to Iowa soon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you believe All Gore's global warming shit then those hogs should be moving in to Iowa soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some douche released some here thankfully thay were wiped out. Id rather hunt them in someone elses state.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I went on a hunt last year and am getting ready for a hunt next I can't wait I used 300blk last year it fit my needs but I want something new

300blk I liked because same 223 bolt and mags
But I need a suppressor to go with it
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

ready when you are...
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ready when you are...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ready when you are...

As soon as Johnny law says we can have them it's done!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ready when you are...

You should come hang put in 2-3 months:)
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ready when you are...

Let me know!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I built a 6.8spc for the exact reason you stated.  I used a Bison Armory 16" barrel and it shoots very well.  The reason I went for the 6.8 is there are a lot more choices right now off the shelf for ammo.  Cost wise, until the wolf 6.5 came out ammo was a lot cheaper.  S&B can be had for $12.79 for 20 rounds with small rifle primers.  Good way to get brass for reloading. Just used a basic free float tube and a Zeiss 4-14 scope.    But just for grins I put a 6.5 gen together too and it shoots well too but I still lean to the 6.8.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a 25WSSM upper from a guy in Minnesota, company called DTech, about 10 years ago. He makes several custom caliber uppers. This gun is hell on deer out to 400 easy.  I realize it's a niche caliber, but you can find factory ammo at the big sports stores.
One year on the last day of hunting for our group, 10 deer ran across an open bottomland in a long line about 200yds out. I normally wouldn't have tried them on the move like that, but we had been skunked for 3 days and were looking at 4 guys going home with no meat. It took 3 shots to get lead and holdover, then I dumped two, did a mag change and got three more.  The last one was pushing 400yds and she dropped on the spot same as the rest. This was before AR's were popular modern sporting arms, but the old guys in the group changed their tune that day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I think the 300 Blk is going to be it for me.  Just need to decide on length and gas system.  

Thanks for the conversation.

Now to keep an eye out for sales on the upper components.  It is going to be a slow acquisition and assembly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#34]
The price on barrels (which is the only different part) are way down now from what they were last year! Also remember if you go shorter than the 16" barrel, that there are legality issues unless it's on a pistol, and you don't already own an AR rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Cargo, make your way up to certain shop and I'll show you some options and run you through the stuff you need to know about 300. If you remind me, I'll grab some brass.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Cargo, make your way up to certain shop and I'll show you some options and run you through the stuff you need to know about 300. If you remind me, I'll grab some brass.
View Quote
Sounds like a plan.  I will let you know when I head back up the the area.  You gonna have those two old grumpy guys with you again.  They make me laugh with their senile antics.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sounds like a plan.  I will let you know when I head back up the the area.  You gonna have those two old grumpy guys with you again.  They make me laugh with their senile antics.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise let me know I'll let you shoot my 300 all u want
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Naw! The 300 AAC works great on a 16" platform! You can't go longer, but considering it's range capabilities, you don't really need a longer barrel anyway. The 5.45 looks interesting, but you can't legally deer hunt with it!
View Quote

Deer hunting opportunities in this state are severely limited with .300 blackout too. Two rows of counties, antlerless only.

I'll stick to .45-70 out of a 12" barrel for "rifle" caliber deer hunting(it's on the list of approved handgun calibers, even though it's not a true straight wall round).

As a rifle "just to have"? The one I want is unavailable. .500 Phantom.  I have one round that I bought from the designer, and I don't expect to see another one. Looks like a .300 blackout on steroids, especially when comparing similar bullet types.

ETA-the new .45 Raptor looks impressive too. AR10 setup, .460SW performance out of a semiauto? I want.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Unfortunately, the antlerless season is cancelled this year. No rifles for us.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey Mike, whats your back log like.  Say for building an upper?  Sorry about the hijack.  Another vote for 6.5G.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hey Mike, whats your back log like.  Say for building an upper?  Sorry about the hijack.  Another vote for 6.5G.
View Quote

give me a holler.  we'll get you fixed up quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thumbs up.  Will do.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top