Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/28/2014 5:00:24 PM EDT
I live in and Iowa and wanted to sell my Galil to a friend in Minnesota. Is it legal to even sell across state lines and if so does it require a permit to purchase from Minnesota? I have looked in several areas and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated fellas!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an FFL but have researched this quite a bit.
Take it as the free advise it is....

Personal transfer is NOT legal, however, Iowans can buy long guns in Minnesota and Minnesotans can buy long guns in Iowa as the states border one another.
Note, it is legal but FFLs may choose not to sell to out of state residents as a "Cover Your Ass" measure as they have to be sure the sale is legal in both states.

You can take the rifle to a dealer in either state and have them transfer it to your friend for a fee.
As I understand, they will need to fill out a 4473 and have any permits that may be required.

If you are near Mason City, Hart Brothers started in Minnesota and then opened a store in Mason so they are quite familiar with laws in both states.

Handguns are a whole other issue.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
it crosses state line.  ffl xfer period.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#3]
What caliber Galil are you looking at getting rid of?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What caliber Galil are you looking at getting rid of?
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to CliveAlive......I just saw your Avatar Picture.......such greatness has destroyed my keyboard
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top