Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/26/2014 6:54:22 PM EDT
Yesterday a coworkers 17 y/o daughter awoken to an intruder in her bedroom the rest of the family had already left for work just lucky he bailed could have been bad.He apparently was looking for shit to steal. This was in Burlington.  Sounds like he came through a window left open.

Freaked me out just hearing her tell the story.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Up here in Monona there have been a number of robberies where the thieves have broken in or simply opened un-locked doors and gone into homes. They walked into my MIL home as she was asleep upstairs. The basement door had been left unlocked. She's 83 years old. They have hit a lot of homes and business in town. Going in even when homeowners are asleep.

Someone will probably get shot before this is over.

That won't be good.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm from the area, and yeah it's been getting worse here.  A couple shootings this year already, which ten years ago would have been completely out of place.  People are actually starting to carry again (at least the people I know); I know I've been carrying since I moved back this year.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm from the area, and yeah it's been getting worse here.  A couple shootings this year already, which ten years ago would have been completely out of place.  People are actually starting to carry again (at least the people I know); I know I've been carrying since I moved back this year.
View Quote

Did you read the story about them wanting to censure a councilman for mearly speaking the truth? Anyone from the area will know what Im talking about.

ETA if you go to walmart after dark you better be carrying
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Burlington, the one time I thought CCW was going to come out. Shopko parking lot...3 of the "Chicago youths" approached me wanting to know "what time it was?" ...all had cell phones so I said look on your phone and get away from us. They left, but were up to no good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
QUICK, ban the open carry of Nerf Guns!!!
For the chilruns.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did you read the story about them wanting to censure a councilman for mearly speaking the truth? Anyone from the area will know what Im talking about.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems as if everyone just wants to live with their heads in the sand.  My family/wife always give me crap for carrying a weapon wherever I go, they always say "this is burlington, not chicago, you don't need to carry that thing here" and yet I keep hearing these types of stories everywhere.  I always remind them that criminals have cars to, and can and will go anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It seems as if everyone just wants to live with their heads in the sand.  My family/wife always give me crap for carrying a weapon wherever I go, they always say "this is burlington, not chicago, you don't need to carry that thing here" and yet I keep hearing these types of stories everywhere.  I always remind them that criminals have cars to, and can and will go anywhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive heard it called little Chicago and when my friend had to call the cops on a bravo mike beating the shit out of a female behind his house in New London then his car was burglarized we started calling New London Little Burlington.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Growing up I'd always heard Ft. Dodge called "lil Chicago".  Then in college I heard Ottumwa called "lil Chicago".

I guess any town with a couple of tough guys causing trouble gets that moniker.

Chicago must be very proud!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]
A few years back in pella a national fugitive slid under a garage door that was left up a foot. Now I guess they have it in the towns rules u can't leave your door open.  Glad no one was hurt
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Growing up I'd always heard Ft. Dodge called "lil Chicago".  Then in college I heard Ottumwa called "lil Chicago".

I guess any town with a couple of tough guys causing trouble gets that moniker.

Chicago must be very proud!
View Quote

Iowa is one of the many dumping grounds for the low level thugs that just can't hack it in Chicago. They run to another AO, puff out their chest and proclaim they are king shit because they hail from the windy city.

To them Iowa, MN, and WI are like the gold rush. Easy going folks that don't live behind windows with bars on them. Stores that have items on the shelves customers pick up versus stacked behind the counter with the employee behind bullet proof glass.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems like every wanna be thug in Waterloo came from Chicago.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#13]
And there was a shooting in burlington on the 29th suspect is still on the loose

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seems like every wanna be thug in Waterloo came from Chicago.
View Quote

Isn't that the truth?!  It's getting about like it was in the 80s.  
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top