Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/22/2014 6:44:38 PM EDT
If you have manliness issues, don't read. You'll feel like a pussy.

And for that, he got the equivalent of a Silver Star.
Now, the Silver Star is in no way a wimpy award, not in the slightest, and I know, it isn't done for the awards, but come on...
I think the dude got ripped off.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Story says he received the Military Cross for Bravery.  I'm not a veteran so I don't know how that compares to the awards given here, but I didn't see anything mentioned about a silver star.

What is the procedure and who decides what awards are given to American veterans?

My grandfather had 13 brothers and sisters including himself.  I was amazed to listen to him, his brothers, and his sisters husbands at the family reunion talk about their time in the military.  Nearly all of them served in the late 40's to mid 50's time frame.  They don't talk to me about it, but I was able to sit at their table and listen as they talked among each other that day.  None of them think I'm a wimp, but they don't share their stories with me either.  I've seen some bronze stars
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks to me more like the equivalent of a Distinguished Service Cross.  You have to remember that the British have more "layers"  of extreme high end awards than we do in the U.S..  He probably go the highest award that he could possibly get without being the Duke of Somethingorother.. he wasn't an Officer, he was a noncom, and Brits do place a lot more value on a person's title as it relates to their actions.. however that is something that has caught on somewhat in the US Military.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The Brits are historically  a lot tighter on medals than we are.  And they don't have near the number of different ones we have.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Story says he received the Military Cross for Bravery.  I'm not a veteran so I don't know how that compares to the awards given here, but I didn't see anything mentioned about a silver star.

What is the procedure and who decides what awards are given to American veterans?

My grandfather had 13 brothers and sisters including himself.  I was amazed to listen to him, his brothers, and his sisters husbands at the family reunion talk about their time in the military.  Nearly all of them served in the late 40's to mid 50's time frame.  They don't talk to me about it, but I was able to sit at their table and listen as they talked among each other that day.  None of them think I'm a wimp, but they don't share their stories with me either.  I've seen some bronze stars
View Quote

The Military Cross seems to be the third highest award for valor the Brits give Silver Star being the 3rd highest the US gives.
I appears that they have different medals and orders and whatnot so there might be some that are equivalent to others but given to different people as mentioned.
Only one person has been awarded the Victoria Cross, their highest, for actions in the War on Terror; the guy the article mentioned as having been rescued by Wood.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
It's good to know that there are still men like that in this day and age.  I sometimes wonder from seeing today's version of "men" in public.

From the same website is the story of another badass from another age in history, Samuel Whittemore.  One of my favorite stories of all time.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top