Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/18/2014 5:40:40 AM EDT
Had my debit card # stolen on vacation last week went in to my  bank this week to straighten it out and found out the d bags ran 2 credit checks on me. So know what the hell do I do?

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you filed a police report you can try contacting the credit agencies and giving them the details.... I am not sure they can just remove a check but it's worth asking. You can try asking without a police report, but in my experience the credit reporting agencies are full of dbags themselves that really don't give a crap about anyone but their cash flow.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Contact the three credit agencies and have a fraud alert put on your file. This is basically a check on the file that need to be cleared/verified prior to issuing any credit in your name. This is not an issue when you want to take out credit as you can confirm password or identity.

Next spring for a credit monitoring service. Pick a company you trust, many larger banks and even credit unions offer this service or can recommend someone they work with.

Check all your current accounts for any suspect issues such as inquiries or transactions.

The credit agencies will generally make note of the ID theft issue and with some pushing will remove any negative impact the credit check my have caused to your score. You have to have police involvment in the form of a case # etc for them to do this, sadly your word alone will not suffice.

Lastly contact your local post office. This one gets missed but you would be suprised the number of times a change of address is put in for you with out you knowing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice I'll do all the above first thing monday. Cant figure out how the bastards got my info but damn am I pissed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice I'll do all the above first thing monday. Cant figure out how the bastards got my info but damn am I pissed.
View Quote

Couple of months ago I got a call out of the blue asking if I'd purchased a tent at Wal-Mart online.
Nope.
Went to the bank the next day and there was another charge from Lowes online.
We canceled everything immediately and I had no problems with either Wal-Mart or Lowes, they just needed a police report.
Actually, Wal-Mart credited back the money no questions asked what-so-ever.

Good luck with getting it all straightened out and hopefully you don't lose any money over it.

Rat bastard thieves.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
They only charged 3 one dollar purchases then got stopped when they tried for $250 in Washington state what has me worried is identity theft after finding out they ran 2 credit reports
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They only charged 3 one dollar purchases then got stopped when they tried for $250 in Washington state what has me worried is identity theft after finding out they ran 2 credit reports
View Quote

Depending on what they got I wouldn't jump to identity theft immediately. At least not FULL identity theft. You have to remember that most places never ask to see your card even if you buy a $500 item. They may just have your card, and once it's cancelled they will trash it and move along to the next victim. Same thing happened to my wife. They cleared our entire bank account out from $250 purchases in 5 different states across the US. Once cancelled there hasn't been an issue on credit or otherwise. Still, make sure you check all those different things out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The $3 in purchases is like a "ping" on your account. I forget how it works exactly but it is a form of them testing it. If you have other open credit lines that you don't use then I would cancel those as well. My wife had a old dept. store card she dint even know she still had.

Just to add my $.02 cents of bitching here, I think the CC industry could make things a lot more secure if they wanted too. The numbers on the back of cards, merchants not asking for ID, only using data strips is all pathetic. I guess the companies are making so much money that they are willing to cover the fraud charges.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea not checking for id is stupid my card has my pic on it. Do know someone who had their card stolen the thief walked in to a jewelry store picked out 5k worth of shit in a few minutes and they just rang it up never asked for id.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
They charged just under $400 on mine, but the orders got cancelled so they didn't get anything, and I got credited back all of it.
Just wish they had gotten arrested, but guessing the money was too little for police to bother.
My cousin's daughter got hit about the same time for like $5600.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top