Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/12/2014 8:29:41 AM EDT
The area where I normally do my long range shooting is full of tall weeds this time of year.  I've been using target stands with cardboard idpa targets.  I'm in pretty good shape, but damn it sucks doing that much walking checking targets for poi and then trying to settle my heart rate down to shoot again.  Even though it's been good practice for high heart rate conditions it sucks dealing with the weeds and setting up targets.  Last time I was out I had to shoot from standing position while using my bipod setup on the cargo carrier on the back of my suv to get clearance above the weeds.

I'm considering setting up some shepherds hooks around 7 to 8 feet long with a couple feet in the ground with a bit of concrete.  My idea is to use 2 shepherds hooks concreted in close together to hold a gong type target of 12" diameter circle.  I haven't purchased either yet because I'm not sure if they will support the weight without bending.

Anyone have experience hanging steel targets in this method?

Targets would be 12" diameter and smaller with the 2 "ears" for mounting I would either hang them directly to the hooks or use short chains to hang them from.  They would be 3/8" steel.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Rerod is cheaper and will hold the weight.  I've used 3/8 inch rerod bent in a "staple" shape to support railroad plate sized/weighted targets 4 feet off of the ground.  A couple of days ago I was making trapping stakes and bought a 20 foot rerod section for $4.49 at Menards.  (A 10 foot section costs $4.29, so take along a set of bolt cutters and cut it to length in the parking lot.)

I don't know how much the 1/2 inch rerod costs, but you may want to go that route for taller targets.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Can people join you for longer range shoot?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can people join you for longer range shoot?
View Quote

It's not my land, but I did send you a pm with info.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the target I got from accurate.  You can use a 2x4 as tall as you want.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I really like the target I got from accurate.  You can use a 2x4 as tall as you want.
View Quote

Indeed, just use some treated 2x4's and leave them in place. You could even dig a hole a couple of feet deep and stick a piece of PVC pipe in the ground to stick the 2x4 in to instead of using a stand.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of a 2 X 4 setup for my second option so it sounds like a better plan than the shepherds hooks.  I'm definitely looking for a setup that would be as permanent as possible due to the difficulty of getting to the area where I want to place targets.  I was thinking of a gong type target for better feedback, but static targets mounted on a single 2 X 4 would probably work fine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I got some 10" gong style targets from Accurate, they have two hole cut at the 11 and 2 o'clock position (think mickey mouse's head).

I stopped at home depot and picked up some shorter shepard hooks and put one gong on two hooks. I went with the shorter style ones as I had to fit them into my car. If it was going to be more of a set it and forget it I would have opted for the taller and better constructed hooks.

With that said these cheap hooks took several hits and are none the worse for wear. The only concern I would have with these planter style hooks sitting in one spot for an extended period of time would be the rain. These hooks have a very narrow foot print and my concern would be the rain loosening the soil where they stick in. The extra weight of the gong may cause it to shift forward, backwards or to one side.

One possible option to fix that would be a sand bag sitting on each one. The ones I bought look like an h on the bottom with two spikes going into the ground. If you laid a sand bag on the top of the h it should hold it and offset the weight of the gong swinging in the wind.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
shepherd's hooks don't work that well.  even if you use a sticker/kicker so it won't spin while in the ground, it'll likely turn and anger you...

we simply gave up.  by the time we put all the effort and work into making a hook work, we could have easily made a sawhorse style rack to hang them all from.  food for thought.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Shepard's hooks work ok. You would be amazed at how easy it is for a stray .223 to clip them off though... I'd recommend hanging them off rubber strips from a 2x4 structure.  Either an "A" frame style or sink the side posts in the ground.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#10]
My experiences from some years back were that .223/5.56mm would burn right through the plates most of the time, and other calibers would rip the plates off from the chains. I finally gave up on the idea......
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#11]
How would you suggest on attaching the plates to a 2x4 frame. It's my understanding if you were to just hand them from a post it would be perpendicular to the ground which isn't desirable correct?

How do you make the plate angle slightly so the bullet deflects mostly into the ground?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#12]
As long as the target is free to move, when it's hit, it will swing back and deflect down. Here are some ideas for simple target stands from Google. I don't like the caribeaners in the first pic, but sawhorses are cheap and easy

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the conveyor belt idea that septic uses.  Takes hits (misses?) like a champ and keeps on trucking...

Quoted:
My experiences from some years back were that .223/5.56mm would burn right through the plates most of the time
View Quote

You're using the wrong grade of steel plate.  Talk to Accurate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
You're likely right about the wrong steel, but I used what I could easily obtain at the time. As long as the OP is also aware of the issue, that's what's important!

Probably some good advice on chain would be important as well, but the baler/conveyor belt idea looks damn good!

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
How do you guys feel about the static targets that mount on top of a single 2 X 4?  The most simple thing I could think of is to get a treated 2 X 4 X 10' and dig a hole a couple feet deep and concrete the sucker in.  Then I could mount the static target on top of that.  

The other option I'm thinking would be a similar idea, but use 2 of the same length 2 X 4's a few feet apart and run another 2 X 4 across the top between the 2.  Then I could hang a gong type target with a couple chains from the board that connects the 2.

I like the simplicity of the single 2 X 4 for the static target, but I also like the idea that a gong from chains may give me better feedback.

Either way it's a long darn walk to the location through tall weeds and other obstacles to get to the location where I want to put the targets.  I've already talked to my boy and mom about enlisting them for help...lol.  Back packing bags of concrete, water, 2 X 4's, and tools is going to be a job.  I think we may do just one target to start with and make sure I'm happy with it before I do the work to put up more of these at different ranges.  I would just about say it's impossible to travel with any motorized vehicle to the location where I want to put them, but the firing position is easy to get to.  That is why I want a good solid setup that I can leave there and just show up and shoot a few rounds when ever I want without any target setup necessary.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#16]
As long as the target is free to move or angled down, you can mount them to a 2x4. I wouldn't concrete the 2x4 wood itself into the ground. I would use a 2x4x3/6" wall rectangle steel tube "receiver" in the concrete so you can yank the 2x4 out and replace it if it catches a stray bullet. Here are some stand alone targets I've made with 2x4 stands using the 2x4x3/16" steel tube "receivers"

A bunch in this pic, clay holder stand, hostage target, zombie heads.... all with 2x4 bases

I have also seen where people bolt the targets through a hole in the target with a spring behind the target to let it move as well. Like this...

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
any suggestions where to find the belt material?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
It's baler belt material from the look of it. Check for a farm store that cuts to size, as a long one can be pricey. Unless you got a buddy that works at a factory that makes balers.........
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
any suggestions where to find the belt material?
View Quote

My work just threw out a 30-40 foot section of heavy duty conveyor belt. I made sure to snatch that up. I could probably spare some . Shoot me a PM and we can figure out shipping and whatnot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#20]
You can also hit up farm repair shops or farmers that have livestock and make their own hay and collect up old baler belts.   And unless you get ripped, it should be free.  If you're ever coming to SW Iowa hit me up, I have about a half dozen rolls of ruined belts from re-belting our Vermeer last year, two or three is a lifetime supply LOL!  

If I was making your setup, I'd use a pair of creosote line posts, set them in good and run a piece of rebar through them, hang the gong from the rebar.  My worry with something like a shepherd's hook would be that dumb animals (deer) would probably knock it over.  2X4's will take a few hits but not as many as a line post, and a line post isn't all that expensive.  While you're hitting up farmers see if somebody has taken out a fenceline, they might have some decent line posts they'll sell for little to nothing.  Another item to look for is old bushhog blades,  out past 150 yards they are pretty good for .223 hits, in as close as 25 yards they'll take handgun up to .45ACP without so much as a ding.  Haven't shot one with a .44 mag yet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can also hit up farm repair shops or farmers that have livestock and make their own hay and collect up old baler belts.   And unless you get ripped, it should be free.  If you're ever coming to SW Iowa hit me up, I have about a half dozen rolls of ruined belts from re-belting our Vermeer last year, two or three is a lifetime supply LOL!  

If I was making your setup, I'd use a pair of creosote line posts, set them in good and run a piece of rebar through them, hang the gong from the rebar.  My worry with something like a shepherd's hook would be that dumb animals (deer) would probably knock it over.  2X4's will take a few hits but not as many as a line post, and a line post isn't all that expensive.  While you're hitting up farmers see if somebody has taken out a fenceline, they might have some decent line posts they'll sell for little to nothing.  Another item to look for is old bushhog blades,  out past 150 yards they are pretty good for .223 hits, in as close as 25 yards they'll take handgun up to .45ACP without so much as a ding.  Haven't shot one with a .44 mag yet.
View Quote

Unfortunately I don't have any land to set my targets on in even a semi-permanent way. I have 2 ranges near me, one of which seems to be under water 1/2 the time and too many horror stories to count. The other is still within 20 minutes but it seems like the gate to it is shut most of the time so its about a 3/4 mile walk to get to the benches. I need to have things that are relatively light. Currently i just have five 2x4s that I've put some holes in that can be thrown together in a H pattern on the ground and an inverted U when viewed downrange like ? and hang it from the crossbar. It's relatively lightweight and can break down and fit in my little car. Also recently got a fold-able little wagon to carry all my crap in. A 3/4 mile walk is nothing, but when you have an AR, 2 - 22 rifles, handguns, targets, backpack of bullets and supplies the walk gets a bit unbearable.

I haven't gotten the target from accurate yet, looking to order it payday next week hopefully so I don't even know what size belting I'd need, but I'll definitely look into it. If I can't get the belt in a timely manner is there anything wrong with nylon rope from menards or something? It's super cheap and I wouldn't imagine it would be eaten through in one session... especially since the bugs are so bad we don't stay out more than an hour  Last week we went out and I looked like I had been attacked by bees. I was so lumpy and bloody from swatting the bastards before they could get away.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Wire will last longer than rope in a pinch. I've cut rope/paracord from spall after as few as two hits with 7.62x39... it will last a little longer with .223
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wire will last longer than rope in a pinch. I've cut rope/paracord from spall after as few as two hits with 7.62x39... it will last a little longer with .223
View Quote

Good to know. I have enough wire laying around.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I don't have any land to set my targets on in even a semi-permanent way. I have 2 ranges near me, one of which seems to be under water 1/2 the time and too many horror stories to count. The other is still within 20 minutes but it seems like the gate to it is shut most of the time so its about a 3/4 mile walk to get to the benches. I need to have things that are relatively light. Currently i just have five 2x4s that I've put some holes in that can be thrown together in a H pattern on the ground and an inverted U when viewed downrange like ? and hang it from the crossbar. It's relatively lightweight and can break down and fit in my little car. Also recently got a fold-able little wagon to carry all my crap in. A 3/4 mile walk is nothing, but when you have an AR, 2 - 22 rifles, handguns, targets, backpack of bullets and supplies the walk gets a bit unbearable.

I haven't gotten the target from accurate yet, looking to order it payday next week hopefully so I don't even know what size belting I'd need, but I'll definitely look into it. If I can't get the belt in a timely manner is there anything wrong with nylon rope from menards or something? It's super cheap and I wouldn't imagine it would be eaten through in one session... especially since the bugs are so bad we don't stay out more than an hour  Last week we went out and I looked like I had been attacked by bees. I was so lumpy and bloody from swatting the bastards before they could get away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to check names better, it seems I replied to two different posters in one reply :)  I was suggesting the line posts and rebar to the OP, and baler belt to you it seems.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Two words... Brush Hog.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Two words... Brush Hog.
View Quote

lol...It's not my land so I can't do that.

I think I'm going to go with the single 2 X 4 buried deep enough in the ground to make it solid and use the long bolt with spring method posted above to mount a single static target.  I'm only going to put up one of them to start with to see if I like it.  I figure if I mount the 2 X 4 with the skinny side facing me it will minimize it's exposure and the vast majority of the time that I miss it is windage not elevation so hopefully I will not be missing low often.  I've already shot out to 770 yards at this location, but if I'm creative I can get out to an estimated 1250 yards.  This was by standing at the midpoint and using a laser range finder in both directions  I have got my cheap weaver range finder to range the 770 yards though.  I'm only using a 223 right now so I haven't even attempted the 1250 yard location, but I have a 260 Remington being built that I will be loading for with H4350, 260 lapua brass, CCI br2 primers, and 142 grain smk's that will change that hopefully once I get it dialed in
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I use 2x4's with the steel single spring bolt holders from ShootSteel.com

To keep the post alive I use the following plate to protect it. They also sell a longer one as well.

http://www.shootsteel.com/2x4-plate-standard-12/

Mount it right below the edge of the steel and everything lasts much longer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I use 2x4's with the steel single spring bolt holders from ShootSteel.com

To keep the post alive I use the following plate to protect it. They also sell a longer one as well.

http://www.shootsteel.com/2x4-plate-standard-12/

Mount it right below the edge of the steel and everything lasts much longer.
View Quote

With that style of mount do you get good feedback?  Can you hear the hits from a 223 from 600 yards?  I will most likely go with 3/8" steel because I will only have a 223 and a 260.  I shoot long range often, but don't shoot many rounds when I'm there so they will not be subject to a lot of abuse.  I just like to get on target and log the conditions and dope I used to compare that to my ballistics chart.  Of course I've never shot steel before so I may shoot more than normal at least at first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two words... Brush Hog.

If it's just weeds and not some crop something or another, I think I'd ask if I could just mow out a narrow strip.
Might be surprised.
Would open up a bunch more choices than trying to figure out how to mount the up high above the weeds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#30]
If the land is in CRP you can't mow until after nesting season.  Not sure if it changes, but around here it's May 15 to August 1st.  

Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top