Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/11/2014 4:45:35 AM EDT
Going to see Motley Crue and Alice Cooper tonight and don't want to have to hike all the way back to my vehicle and drop my gun off if it's their policy to frisk. Maybe it depends on the particular show? Anybody here know? Thanks a bunch.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Man I really wanted to go to this concert especially since this is their last tour, but couldn't spare the $.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man I really wanted to go to this concert especially since this is their last tour, but couldn't spare the $.
View Quote

Up until yesterday, I had a spare ticket.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't take a gun to a concert.  I'm getting old now and haven't been to a show in years, but when I was going to heavy metal concerts they did frisk everyone coming in.  They definitely have no weapons policies.  Think about this...If you are crammed in there with thousands of people are you ever going to be able to take a shot in a self defense situation anyway without a very high risk of involving an innocent bystander?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't take a gun to a concert.  I'm getting old now and haven't been to a show in years, but when I was going to heavy metal concerts they did frisk everyone coming in.  They definitely have no weapons policies.  Think about this...If you are crammed in there with thousands of people are you ever going to be able to take a shot in a self defense situation anyway without a very high risk of involving an innocent bystander?
View Quote

Thinking more of the walk to my vehicle after the concert's over. That said, it's when people get into the habit of doubting that they'll need their CCW in this or that scenario, or playing situations out in their heads, that they start leaving their gun at home. I carry whenever I possibly can, including concerts.

If you were at concert and a guy starting shooting random people, you'd be glad that you didn't have your gun on you because you might hit innocent bystanders? I doubt that, sir.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I work there often...

Not their usual policy to frisk, but it has happened occasionally in the past.  They do "bag checks" on a regular basis..

All done by in-house security.  Only thing they can do is ask you to take it back to your car.

In house security brought me a lady one at one concert.  Asked me if I knew her...(yes, by face...an officer from a local agency)

"well she has a gun and a badge in her purse".  (Like they had caught a big time crook)

I asked them what the question was....duh.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I work there often...

Not their usual policy to frisk, but it has happened occasionally in the past.  They do "bag checks" on a regular basis..

All done by in-house security.  Only thing they can do is ask you to take it back to your car.

In house security brought me a lady one at one concert.  Asked me if I knew her...(yes, by face...an officer from a local agency)

"well she has a gun and a badge in her purse".  (Like they had caught a big time crook)

View Quote

Wow, perfect guy to talk to. Thank you SO much for the input. Have a good weekend, man.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thinking more of the walk to my vehicle after the concert's over. That said, it's when people get into the habit of doubting that they'll need their CCW in this or that scenario, or playing situations out in their heads, that they start leaving their gun at home. I carry whenever I possibly can, including concerts.

If you were at concert and a guy starting shooting random people, you'd be glad that you didn't have your gun on you because you might hit innocent bystanders? I doubt that, sir.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm kind of a hard core guy I was always going through the mosh pit and getting to the front row.  With that said I would also be worried about someone else in the crowd getting ahold of it.  With all the bodies on bodies you wouldn't even realize it was gone until later.  I also never even took my wallet in for fear of being pick pocketed.  All I would take is some cash in case I needed to buy a bottle of water.  Like I said I'm getting old now 39 and think differently than I use to.  I do not go places I don't feel comfortable carrying or am not allowed to carry.  That is my choice I'd rather not carry at a concert so I don't attend them.

Unfortunately if I was in a situation with thousands of people and someone opened fire I would run and I'm not afraid to admit that.  I'm very quick on my feet much above normal speed and agility.  I certainly can't outrun a bullet, but I'd be the heck out of there quick.  I'm not the macho type that is going to run toward gun shots unless a family member is in there and I must go get them to save them from harm.  Hit an innocent with a gun shot trying to be a hero and your life as you know it now is over.  You will be sued into oblivion and probably charged with involuntary manslaughter at the minimum.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wow, perfect guy to talk to. Thank you SO much for the input. Have a good weekend, man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I work there often...

Well...now that it's over...I might have lied.

They were doing bag checks, and asking guys with baggy shirts and pants, and cargo pants,: "what do you have in your pockets?"

WTF kind of security question is that?

I do know of 2 instances that occurred last night.  One of my fellow officers from another agency, was allegedly told that even though

he was a "ranking" officer, (chief of PD I heard) had his badge, ID and weapon with him, that he had to take it back to his car.  

Another corrections officer from a county, whose has agency issued him his weapon, ID and training, was told the same thing.

If it was me...I think I would have told them to pound sand, and ask for "clarification of the law" from LE that was there.  

In MY opinion (not sure of my agencies stand on this issue) if you have the badge, ID, training, legal authorization, etc., you should be able to carry. Period.

There might be some others on the IHTF with ALOT more knowledge on the subject, and might be able to set me straight...(you know who you are).

Just my opinions expressed here.

IF you did get caught up in the mess...sorry...hope you still had a good time!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Just my opinion, but I don't think off duty officers should get any different treatment than a civilian with the proper ID and permit to carry.  If a civilian doesn't have a permit to carry and is carrying concealed then ok they are breaking the law.  Otherwise they are either allowed or not that is the decision of the property owner in my opinion and shouldn't matter if it's leo or not.

Perfect example of how the leo here wants our support for them to have certain toys with the thinking that hey once we get it we will fight for you guys to have the right as well.  I call bs on that one.  If a person with a legal permit and no disqualifiers such as a felony record can't have it then leo shouldn't either.

Either you are for concealed carry and gun rights in general or you are not.  The bill of rights doesn't imply that only certain people like leo should have these rights.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Re-read the post.  

I said "legal authorization".

To ME, this means ccw permit.

I wish everybody could carry... legally of course.

If you have gone through the hoops to get it, then you should be able to carry it.

Again, MY opinions, maybe not of my agency, but MY opinions
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Re-read the post.  

I said "legal authorization".

To ME, this means ccw permit.

I wish everybody could carry... legally of course.

If you have gone through the hoops to get it, then you should be able to carry it.

Again, MY opinions, maybe not of my agency, but MY opinions
View Quote

Ok I misunderstood your post.  Sorry for the rant.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#12]
No probs...

I DO see your point.

Shouldn't matter...civilian, LEO, MIL, ...ANYBODY that is legally able to carry, should be able to.

(MIL...another thing that gets my goat...able to protect the nation,so why the controversy about ccw. On OR off base.

AGAIN...MY opinion.

Have a good weekend!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Even though the concerts over, I've carried at Wells Fargo a few times. Multiple hockey games, even got to go on ice and make an ass of myself in one of those games, the rodeo, and arena football games. Never been frisked, or asked any questions. I always use the skywalk entrance to get in.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I got a very casual frisk. It turned up nothing, so I just kept walking.    
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, I got a very casual frisk. It turned up nothing, so I just kept walking.    
View Quote

Cool!  Glad it worked out for you.  What gun did you carry and what was your method?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been there for hockey and a concert, never frisked. GF had to open her purse that was it.

There's a pretty heavy police presence down there for events so I don't worry about carrying too much.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top