Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 7:20:11 AM EDT
Sunday is Black Hawk Pistol Club's First IDPA match for the year.

Where: Cedar Valley Pistol and Rifle Club in Waterloo, IA.
When: Registration starts at 8:00 AM on 4/27/14.
Bring: Firearm, ammo, mags, holsters, ear and eye protection.  Sunscreen and a water bottle are recommended.
Ammo: Minimum round count will be 57.

Event Info:

Sunday 4/27 is our First IDPA match for the year with a minimum of 5 stages.  We are setting up Saturday afternoon from 4pm to 7pm.  Match signup will be Sunday at 8:00am, walk through at 8:30am, guns go hot at 9am.

more info at: http://www.blackhawkpistol.org/
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Going to attempt to make this.  Will be my first match so we will see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going to attempt to make this.  Will be my first match so we will see how it goes.
View Quote

I shot my first IDPA match in Ankeny last weekend in many years, lots of fun. Go early and find the match director and tell them you're new. They or an RSO will watch you and explain the rules, etc.

After shooting USPSA, IDPA is its own beast with lots of different rules. Just remember not to drop a loaded mag, NEVER break the 180* barrier, and use cover and you'll be fine.

I would try to run up and make this, but the CRAPS USPSA shoot is Sunday as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to check up on the rules to make sure I can run the gun I want to run.  Been trying to get my XDM 5.25 set up for the 3 gun  and for other handgun shoots. The mag funnel I got is supposed to be idpa legal, need to make sure  the rest of the mods are OK.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I need to check up on the rules to make sure I can run the gun I want to run.  Been trying to get my XDM 5.25 set up for the 3 gun  and for other handgun shoots. The mag funnel I got is supposed to be idpa legal, need to make sure  the rest of the mods are OK.
View Quote

At the end of the day, they will let you shoot.  You might shoot only against yourself, but who cares?  You should shoot against yourself anyway.

Good guys out there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

At the end of the day, they will let you shoot.  You might shoot only against yourself, but who cares?  You should shoot against yourself anyway.

Good guys out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good guys out there.

Under USPSA rules I'd be in the limited class... Not sure how that relates to idpa though.  Need to do some more research.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#6]
XDM with magwell should be in the Enhanced Service Pistol division.

It gets hard to specialize and keep everything straight. For example, I compete in Stock Service Pistol in IDPA and Production in USPSA and sometime limited with my Para 2011 style .40 (and will again now that CCA fixed it). IDPA is, in general, more restrictive on modifications, types of holsters/mag pouches, etc.

But, while .40 (my limted gun) scores major in USPSA, the dimished capacity and higher recoil mean you are at a (however slight) disadvantage to the 9mm guys in 3-gun. While my production guns have less 'stuff' and since there's so little 3-gun in Iowa, I haven't built a pistol for it. Watching some of the big 3-gun shoots is interesting, mouse fart loads, large extended mags, it's very gamey, as it's supposed to be.

But, as Tim said, just go, they'll tell you what division you're in. And for me, doo-dads are not going to make a difference. If my reload takes another 1.2 seconds, it's not going to matter as I have lots of room to improve as a shooter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I have several other unmodified guns I could bring.  I'm actually kind of thinking of bringing one of my xdm compact .40's.  That's what I usually carry when ever I'm going in to high population/sketch areas.  I also usually carry it during the winter as well.  It would actually make for better training, but I'm worried about round count and being able to carry enough to run the courses since I've never done this before.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have several other unmodified guns I could bring.  I'm actually kind of thinking of bringing one of my xdm compact .40's.  That's what I usually carry when ever I'm going in to high population/sketch areas.  I also usually carry it during the winter as well.  It would actually make for better training, but I'm worried about round count and being able to carry enough to run the courses since I've never done this before.
View Quote

I would suggest you bring your carry gun, doesn't look like JD has any stages with more than 16 rounds minimum.  IDPA is geared toward the concealed carry holder in my view.  

bring a good belt holster, good gun belt, 3 mags, cover garment, ammo, eyes and ears, mag holster if you got.  Ask for Greg, we will get you started.

you can find the stages on IAShooters.org   http://www.iashooters.org/showthread.php?9904-Sunday-is-Black-Hawk-Pistol-Club-s-First-IDPA-match-for-the-year&p=11756#post11756

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would suggest you bring your carry gun, doesn't look like JD has any stages with more than 16 rounds minimum.  IDPA is geared toward the concealed carry holder in my view.  

bring a good belt holster, good gun belt, 3 mags, cover garment, ammo, eyes and ears, mag holster if you got.  Ask for Greg, we will get you started.

you can find the stages on IAShooters.org   http://www.iashooters.org/showthread.php?9904-Sunday-is-Black-Hawk-Pistol-Club-s-First-IDPA-match-for-the-year&p=11756#post11756

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as eye protection..  I wear glasses, will I still need something or will they be good enough?  Really don't want to wear goggles and safety glasses don't work for crap over glasses especially if your scooting around.  I have a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses that wrap around I could wear as well as long as we are outside.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]

As far as eye protection..  I wear glasses, will I still need something or will they be good enough?  Really don't want to wear goggles and safety glasses don't work for crap over glasses especially if your scooting around.  I have a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses that wrap around I could wear as well as long as we are outside.
View Quote

As long as they are impact resistant, you should be fine.

IDPA Rules:

2.4. Ear protection and impact resistant eye protection are required to be used by everyone attending an IDPA shooting event. The responsibility for safe and serviceable ear and eye protection falls completely on the shooter or spectator. IDPA recommends that hearing protection have a minimum 21dB NRR rating and that eye protection have a minimum ANSI Z87.1 impact rating and side shields.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#11]
They're your eyes...

Keep in mind you will likely be shooting some steel in these stages, as will other competitors. I took a ricochet from a 9mm Super about 1" below my left eye at my 2nd ever USPSA match. It can happen.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're your eyes...

Keep in mind you will likely be shooting some steel in these stages, as will other competitors. I took a ricochet from a 9mm Super about 1" below my left eye at my 2nd ever USPSA match. It can happen.
View Quote

I took a .45 ACP ricochet in the shoulder at the indoor range at the rod and gun club in Hanau Germany so I'm quite familiar with shit happening.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Got some tactical goggles on order.  Looking like thunder storms on Sunday though. Will they cancel if the weather is shit or will they still run the range?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got some tactical goggles on order.  Looking like thunder storms on Sunday though. Will they cancel if the weather is shit or will they still run the range?
View Quote

if it's storming they will likely cancel and try to reschedule.  that decision could be made as early as Saturday afternoon or by 7am Sunday morning.
if it is canceled, it will be posted on their facebook page and also sent out via their email newsletter.  You can sign up for the email list on the facebook page or on the website.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackhawkPistolClub

http://www.blackhawkpistol.org/

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like they changed the wording and so XDM with magwell is ESP, without is SSP.

It's about time they did that...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it possible to enter in to more than one class at the same event?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Generally yes there is a way to do it. Talk to your SO and they can help you out.

... But not this weekend... In light of the weather the match has been cancelled.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top