Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/16/2014 9:08:01 AM EDT
whether we're talking about getting cans legalized in iowa, the MRAP Reloaded argument, or whatever, i'm continually reminded of a passage i found in l. neil smith's "probability broach" novel...

for me, it really is as simple as this.  *note - don't get caught up so much in the little stuff with this passage, but apply it to big picture items across the board.  granted it hits home especially for our 2A sort, but read this.  reread this.  think about it...

"If a politician isn't perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash—for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything—without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn't your friend no matter what he tells you.

If he isn't genuinely enthusiastic about his average constituent stuffing that weapon into a purse or pocket or tucking it under a coat and walking home without asking anybody's permission, he's a four-flusher, no matter what he claims.

What his attitude—toward your ownership and use of weapons—conveys is his real attitude about you. And if he doesn't trust you, then why in the name of John Moses Browning should you trust him?

If he doesn't want you to have the means of defending your life, do you want him in a position to control it?"

your thoughts???
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
me?  i apply this notion to everyone in all forms of government, private life, etc.  how a person responds to you ABOUT YOU is mostly, if not totally, their reflection of themselves...  if they trusted you even when they disagreed with you, they'd smile and nod.  but when they tell you something shouldn't be done or allowed, even though they like you, what they are really saying is they don't think you should be allowed and they, themselves, can't be trusted either.

MRAP, can, machine gun, powerful car, carry weapon, etc.  it all works the same.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
the book is ok, but i wouldn't call it great.  kind of a half assed sci fi / libertarian sideway piece...

in case you're interested:  http://www.lneilsmith.org/lns_tpb.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
whether we're talking about getting cans legalized in iowa, the MRAP Reloaded argument, or whatever, i'm continually reminded of a passage i found in l. neil smith's "probability broach" novel...

for me, it really is as simple as this.  *note - don't get caught up so much in the little stuff with this passage, but apply it to big picture items across the board.  granted it hits home especially for our 2A sort, but read this.  reread this.  think about it...

"If a politician isn't perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash—for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything—without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn't your friend no matter what he tells you.

If he isn't genuinely enthusiastic about his average constituent stuffing that weapon into a purse or pocket or tucking it under a coat and walking home without asking anybody's permission, he's a four-flusher, no matter what he claims.

What his attitude—toward your ownership and use of weapons—conveys is his real attitude about you. And if he doesn't trust you, then why in the name of John Moses Browning should you trust him?

If he doesn't want you to have the means of defending your life, do you want him in a position to control it?"

your thoughts???
View Quote

I agree with this. I feel like take a little bit of peoples rights away. Then when they are comfortable take more. I feel like its not about the people anymore its about who has more money to buy the needed people/votes.

If you can't trust a man over a handshake then what can you trust him on?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree with this. I feel like take a little bit of peoples rights away. Then when they are comfortable take more. I feel like its not about the people anymore its about who has more money to buy the needed people/votes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your thoughts???

It's like local option taxes.  IT get's passed, we pay it for x years, as the expiration date approaches the State/Local Gov't tries to extend it in search of another local option tax.  After all, we have been paying it for years so what's the difference?  

Drop a frog in boiling water it jumps out.  Slowly boil the frog and it doesn't have a clue what's happening.  We are the latter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
We are sheep.   I try not to be a sheep, but in the end I still am.  I put my hope in the politicians hands and pray that they do the right thing. I know they won't though as they are politicians.  They are lying and cheating bastards who have tilted the balance in their favor at the expense of the people they are suppose to serve.   And if we replace them, there will just be more bastards to take their place.  And yes, I focus on the little things.  It's the little things in life that add up to the larger things.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If he doesn't want you to have the means of defending your life, do you want him in a position to control it?"[/span][/span]

your thoughts???
View Quote

This line says it all for me. There is nothing more to it than this. What tools I choose to defend my family and myself are no one else's concern.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This line says it all for me. There is nothing more to it than this. What tools I choose to defend my family and myself are no one else's concern.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

your thoughts???

This is the same conclusion I came to several years ago when I got out of school and saw the world for what it is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]

not sure what this means jack...  care to fill me in?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

not sure what this means jack...  care to fill me in?
View Quote

it's about living in your own truth michael, something you should try again.  

what i meant to say was it's too deep for me on a few drinks that i had last night,  looking into that book, also for my damn caps lock key...
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm going to live in my own truth.  all will be well.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top