Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/16/2014 7:10:06 AM EDT
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2014/04/16/handgun-fire-arm-state-law-code-family-daughters-girls-gibson-rifle-shoot-youtube-video/7766031/

I had no idea this was even a law! I have broken this law several times letting my daughter shoot my PPK .22 pistol. I also noticed in the article where IGO got a bill to lower the age limit killed because they inserted an amendment. I don't think there should be a limit if the kids are with a parent but a lowered age is better than nothing IMO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have kids but if I personally feel the kid is responsible enough and with supervision it is no body else's decision other than my own. I remember being 8-9 and given a Ruger MK2+mk3 and a "bucket of bullets" and some cans and was let to shoot freely on the farm great memories I wouldn't want to deprive my own kids of that right.... but I'm not a parent
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember this being mentioned and laughed about at the pistol club I shot at when I was 12.

I hope whoever kicked that person off the range is gone. There is no room for people without common sense, or the king's men, in this hobby.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont agree with the law but I do mention it in every Iowa Class. I am waiting for some over zealous officer to witness this and be a jerk

Also I believe the law change was introduced as some ranges want to be able to bring in the scholastic shooting program

Where has everyone been ? I guess this is low on the list to change and is gaining attention since guns are becoming more popular. This law has been on the books in Iowa since '71 I believe. Alsl kids can shoot long guns at any age with supervision.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The article is disingenuous at best.  Iowa's law has been this way for a long time (not that tradition is any excuse, it needs to change.)

IGO killed our chance of having it dropped from 14 to 12 this year.  12 is the age common to most competitive shooting disciplines.  There shouldn't be a limit at all, but progress is progress.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I am unsure but something tells me this might be a bit staged or a setup to call attention to the law. The law has been this way for a while as mentioned so why the attention on it now? They could shoot .22 rifles all they wanted.  Also this is a nitpicky observation, but in the video the one girl has her thumb behind the slide. She might get by with that for now but what about being shown properly?  

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I had this feeling as well, but the fact that it's getting any attention at all might be a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Now, after this has all come out and LEOs are all aware of it, the law must be changed. Originally, the bill was designed to allow the use of handguns by youths down to age 12, as is the norm in the scholastic competitions. I believe there was an attempt to just drop the age restriction, but don't know that for sure, but I know for sure that the people pushing the bill soon found that the ONLY way the bill would pass through the Senate was with an age restriction of 12 years, so that's how they drafted the final bill. Hear this loud and clear: The bill was on greased skids toward passage and would have lowered the age to 12 -- not a compromise but a progress toward a goal of no age limit. It would have happened!!! BUT, when Shaw threatened to amend the bill to remove the age limit, which would have passed in committee then the full amended bill would have passed in the House, by the way, but absolutely would not have passed in the Senate, the bill was pulled. And so, another bill dies due to going for the Hail Mary pass when a simple dive play would get the job done. I was there. I saw what happened.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
IGO strikes again.

Those idiots couldn't find there way out of a fucking paper bag, let alone get ANY piece of legislation passed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IGO strikes again.

Those idiots couldn't find there way out of a fucking paper bag, let alone get ANY piece of legislation passed.
View Quote

I honestly believe that getting every bill killed is actually their goal. If legislation gets passed it decreases their ability to get funding from the less informed gun owners and those who share the all or nothing ideology in the state. They are the race baiters of the gun world. They make money by stirring the pot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#10]
These IGO fools make me sick.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember this being mentioned and laughed about at the pistol club I shot at when I was 12.

I hope whoever kicked that person off the range is gone. There is no room for people without common sense, or the king's men, in this hobby.
View Quote

The article mentioned it was "the gunsmith" at the polk city range. That was likely Mike Warman himself and he runs the show there. From my experiences Mike is a pretty good guy and he is likely looking out for his business, not wanting someone to get nailed on his range and have it come back on him. Though given that I have seen guys shooting steel with a garand down there and a guy shooting an AR pistol with a foregrip attached, it may be a losing battle unless the range officers are a lot more attentive.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I would really hate to see any retribution toward the 'messenger' at the range. The law is the law and the range liability would be extremely high in the event that something happened while an underage person was at the firing line. We need to change the law (or stay away from ranges) so that parents can be the parents of their children in this matter. I'm pretty sure this will come up again next session so keep the fires burning!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would really hate to see any retribution toward the 'messenger' at the range. The law is the law and the range liability would be extremely high in the event that something happened while an underage person was at the firing line. We need to change the law (or stay away from ranges) so that parents can be the parents of their children in this matter. I'm pretty sure this will come up again next session so keep the fires burning!
View Quote

This is why I've had to turn some youth down when their parents wanted them to go through my basic pistol course. I'd love to do it but if something happened I would be in the dog house.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#14]
With the large push we have seen for suppressors recently. I think it may be time to start a sticky thread for all political issues relating to the 2A. Keep the amazing activism focused and moving forward.

I believe this is another useless law on the books that needs to be removed. I can teach anyone to shoot under the age of 14 using long guns. I fail to see how this law does anything other than provide another hoop for IA citizens to jump through.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is why I've had to turn some youth down when their parents wanted them to go through my basic pistol course. I'd love to do it but if something happened I would be in the dog house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you'd be lucky to only be in the dog house.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:33:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Every kid is different.  Some are responsible enough to learn to shoot at 5 years old and some people are never responsible enough to own a gun.  Big brother needs to get out of the way and let parents do the parenting and this applies to every aspect of life not just gun related activities.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am all for keeping the fires burning but we need to find a way to that "other group" out of the way so things can go through smoothly. This would already be a better issue except for their meddling.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IGO killed our chance of having it dropped from 14 to 12 this year.  12 is the age common to most competitive shooting disciplines.  There shouldn't be a limit at all, but progress is progress.
View Quote

IGO asked me to sign a petition at the last gunshow I visited. I had a very hard time not telling them to just piss off after that and the anti suppressor BS.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top