Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 11:03:36 AM EDT
So my family was all outside last night and getting ready to come in and have dinner when my two year old tripped over his own feet and fell face first into the corner of our metal fire pit.  The corner sliced his lower lip all the way through to the inside of his mouth.  I was three feet away and right there to pick him up.  But too late as the blood started to flow.  I immediately started to hold pressure and my wife (cardiac nurse) got ready with the suburban and we loaded him in and away they went to the ER.  I stayed home with our 5 year old and called my mom and told her to get over to our house ASAP so I could go assist.  Here was my fail.  I forgot my go bag!  I always carry my pack with me everywhere.  And I mean everywhere.  It has everything in it that I need from  phone charger to dental floss to Advil.  So they take him to surgery and my phone is about to die, I can't remember anybody's numbers as my list is in the bag.  I also learned I probably need some sort of ifak to add to my bag.  Lessons learned

Summary:  kid hurt, forgot go bag, always take your crap with you....
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my family was all outside last night and getting ready to come in and have dinner when my two year old tripped over his own feet and fell face first into the corner of our metal fire pit.  The corner sliced his lower lip all the way through to the inside of his mouth.  I was three feet away and right there to pick him up.  But too late as the blood started to flow.  I immediately started to hold pressure and my wife (cardiac nurse) got ready with the suburban and we loaded him in and away they went to the ER.  I stayed home with our 5 year old and called my mom and told her to get over to our house ASAP so I could go assist.  Here was my fail.  I forgot my go bag!  I always carry my pack with me everywhere.  And I mean everywhere.  It has everything in it that I need from  phone charger to dental floss to Advil.  So they take him to surgery and my phone is about to die, I can't remember anybody's numbers as my list is in the bag.  I also learned I probably need some sort of ifak to add to my bag.  Lessons learned

Summary:  kid hurt, forgot go bag, always take your crap with you....
View Quote

How's Jr doing?

Like you said lesson learned, I'm guessing you won't let this happen again.

Speedy recovery for the little guy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
He is doing good.  My wife has worked at mercy for a long time and knows a lot of people there so we are fortunate. By shear luck, the plastic surgeon that we really like and respect was on call, so he stitched him up, so there will be very little if any scaring.  It did loosen a few teeth and injured his gums,but he is a tough little guy.  It always amazes how resilient kids are.  Fire pit=gone.  And yes, I will take my bag next time.... God forbid.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Poor little guy but they bounce back pretty fast. It amazes me none of my kids have had a stitch or a broken bone me I've had more of both than I can count what kids today consider play and when I was young may have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
prayers sent for a full recovery for the little guy.  

...and you're right, always have your contingency ready.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Ouch! I hope the little guy bounces back from this with minimal pain and scarring.

Don't know if you're already doing this or not but perhaps placing the bag near the door. I know for me when the heart rate is jacked if I have to change my course to pick up an item it generally gets left behind in the flurry of activity.

Another thing I am starting to do is make vehicle kits. These are very trimmed down versions of the bag. Flash light, cheap universal chargers, basic med kit, etc etc. I figure this way if I get caught without the full bag at least I have a few items.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top