Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/7/2014 6:40:34 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting into handgun shooting competitions but not sure where there held at around the des moines/Ankeny area. also does anyone have any good suggestions on what type of handguns are most commonly used. I'm pretty decent with my XDM 45. But not sure if 13 is info for competitions. any good pointers?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a uspsa match at the ankeny Ikes this Saturday newcomers are always welcome. 13 rounds will work as long as you have 3 magazines.

I saw a poll that said the most popular guns in uspsa are glock 9mm and 1911s.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
will on the plus I have 4 mag's. Do you know how much it is to shoot at it?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
AIPS

There is also USPSA on Tuesday evenings and IDPA on Thursdays.  Go to that site and you can read on those two and look at the calendar.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
First match is free. I think its $15 for non Ikes members $10 for members.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't see on that link if they do steel targets or paper targets.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Uspsa usually has a mix of both.  They also do a steel challenge on one Sunday a month that's all steel. Mostly rimfire shooters but centerfire is also allowed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uspsa usually has a mix of both.  They also do a steel challenge on one Sunday a month that's all steel. Mostly rimfire shooters but centerfire is also allowed.
View Quote

No rifle calibers on steel though.  And if you do centerfire pistol it has to be drawn from holster.  The USPSA site is now also the steel site so they have rules for both.  There are videos on youtube out there that talk about the differences also.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a USPSA shoot @ Ankeny Ikes this Saturday and one @ Blackhawk (Hudson, IA) on Sunday.

I plan on being at the Blackhawk shoot anyways.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot Limited 10 if you want credit for using major PF ammo.  If you shoot Production it's minor PF scoring.

You could shoot Limited and put 3 more rounds in the mag, but most Limited guns are custom double stack .40's that hold way more than 13 rounds.

ETA:  it's a lot of fun, just show up with the required number of magazines (usually four) and pouches/holster, and identify yourself as a new shooter.

Your gun should be holstered and hammer/striker down, unloaded and no magazine inserted, even an empty one.  Only handle your gun in the designated safety area or under the direction of a RO.  You can fiddle with your other equipment, load mags, etc. anywhere you want.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could shoot Limited and put 3 more rounds in the mag, but most Limited guns are custom double stack .40's that hold way more than 13 rounds.
View Quote

That's what I don't like about ipsc. I'm not going to pretend there is a ban on standard capacity magazines to play the game.

I just ignore the class warfare and shoot for fun and see how many open class guns I can beat with a standard Glock.

Idpa is worse. They take all the fun out of it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I just see it as an excuse to work on my reloads

The open/limited guys just run through the course and most never have to reload, maybe once on a 40 shot string... Seems boring.

My carry gun holds 10+1, so if I shoot 10rd. mags it's still good practice. I like that in USPSA, USUALLY, you get some good freedom. It doesn't spell everything out for you. Want to shoot around the wall instead of through the port? Sure.

Teaches critical thinking with a gun in your hand, I like it. (Recent convert/hooked)
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I'm not sure yet one what kind of class I would want to compete in yet. I do know someday I would like to do some 3 gun. The only bad part is work is picking up really fast so not sure I'll be able to compete this year or not
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top