Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2014 6:20:43 PM EDT
So I finally recieved my ballistic advantage 5.45 fail zero bolt and was getting ready to order my barrel. The very last piece for my new build and then this whole bleeping ATF 5.45 debacle arrives.  I mean wtf?   Can I just have like 6 months of shooting some reasonablely priced ammo with something happening.   And then to top matters off it appears our suppressor bill is going to get shot down by that POS boss Hogg.  
Basically I am just pissed off
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
UPDATE:

Copes Distributing has confirmed that the ATF has in fact shut off the import of 5.45×39 surplus ammo.  From a post they made on AR15.com at 3pm today:

Confirmed from the IMPORT BRANCH of the BATFE…Just got off the phone with them….Exact words No more Imports of 5.45×39 Ammo……. Don’t hate me as we are OUT OF STOCK ALREADY….. Just delivering the message…

- See more at: http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/#sthash.2CfHl7EL.dpuf

Yup. Its for real.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Its just the steel core ammo. Wolf still makes ammo as does Hornady.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its just the steel core ammo. Wolf still makes ammo as does Hornady.
View Quote

Yeah but it was the cheap surplus I was looking to shoot.  If I am going to half the buy "regular" priced ammo is will just shoot 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Not all surplus is steel core.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not all surplus is steel core.
View Quote

Name a country that made lead core 5.45x39 ammo
that is(or was)available as surplus?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Fortunately I ordered a few more crates last Tuesday.  Probably the first and last time I have good timing with this kind of thing.  Haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Hence the fallacy of building a firearm based on cheap surplus ammo.  The supply of surplus ammo has always been erratic.  It can and frequently has dried up overnight for a whole host of reasons.  As far as the current situation with 5.45, ATF has always had a burr under their saddle  about steel core ammo.  Not saying I agree with it or it even makes sense.  But ATF going after steel core ammo isn't anything new.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I was building the rifle anyway, so it was not a purposely built 5.45.  I can easily swap my DD bolt back in and order a 5.56 barrel and move on.  I just have to decide if the difference, which equates to about $.07 per round is worth it.  There are other factors also like the mag modification for the 5.45 round.  I am sure my new bolt would sell on EE if I decide to go that way.  It was just a bummer is all. It seems that in this day and age that the sport of shooting is just growing more difficult and becoming harder to enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I just do not assume 'any" ammo is going to be cheap and available at all times, and buy when and how I can if their are sales and deals. Any day we could have another school shooting, or theater shooting and it can all flip on its head again. If you have the money to buy it, then buy it is the way I look at it anymore unfortunately
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hence the fallacy of building a firearm based on cheap surplus ammo.
View Quote

...unless you buy enough ammo to wear said firearm out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ever want to build and shoot the PPSh-41 someday I'll just swap out the barrel and shoot in in 9mm as it will still use the same mag and drum.
View Quote

That's my plan for the AR.  If it's time for a re-barrel and the surplus gravy train has long gone, just go 5.56.

I also missed the boat on 7.26x25.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#14]
We'll I picked up 2 1080 end cases for $200 per case today.  So I guess I am moving forward wit my 5.45 build.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
There's some hope that this can get resolved through the courts.

The last time it happened, the gun rights movement wasn't anywhere near as organized or well-funded.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Might want to jump on this as well ammo
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

At that price you should just buy Wolf or GT and call it a day.........
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with the exception that this might be the last of the steel core ever imported, so if you were a person that wanted to have some set aside it would be a good idea to grab it while you can.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I agree with the exception that this might be the last of the steel core ever imported, so if you were a person that wanted to have some set aside it would be a good idea to grab it while you can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The time to do that was about $300 per crate earlier.
This to me is like paying $50 per brick for .22.

Ain't gonna happen........
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#20]
From what I've seen in the past is that every time there is a run on ammo the prices double or triple and when the run is over the prices never drop to what they were before. When something is band from being imported (especially perishable stuff) the price will continue to climb until you can't find it anymore. At that price its still way cheaper than than what .556 is going for and I see it heavily stocked in every store.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top