Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 2/12/2014 6:14:19 PM EDT
UPDATE 03/07/14

Just wanted to write up what we’re looking at (as I see it anyway). Right now HF2381 is in a Senate Judiciary subcommittee. Which means right now the three most important people we’re concerned about reaching are the subcommittee members [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]. We need two out of the three of them to approve of our bill in order for it to pass on to the full Judiciary. This is by no means a sure thing, but it can be done. These three need to be hearing from you on a daily basis.

IF we can convince these three to pass it out of subcommittee, then we have to convince Sen. [email protected] (chairman of the judiciary committee) to schedule HF2381 for a vote - something he’s not required to do. This is will take some real work on our part. But I firmly believe that with a flood of calls, emails, IFC form letters and talks with Sen. Hogg, this can happen. Theoretically, this is our biggest hurdle. Oh yeah, this also has to happen by Friday March 14th, the next “funnel” deadline. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!!

IF we can we can get him to schedule this for a vote before the next funnel, we need it to pass with at least 7 votes (there’s 13 member on Judiciary Committee). By my count, we currently have 6 members of Judiciary committee that have been willing to put their support in writing. Some of those 7 remaining members may support the bill, but simply lack the “fortitude” to come out and say it. We have to make sure they’re motivated to vote yes should the time come.

IF we can we can get to that point then we’ll truly have some momentum heading into a full Senate vote. Right now we’re picking up speed, but can’t let off the gas pedal, not for a second. PLEASE keep hitting the IFC link/form letter daily (the more the better, remember emails are free). But also please take some time to write up an email, or leave a voicemail for these guys. It shows genuine grassroots support for this bill, and there’s nothing more powerful than that.

As you’re interacting with these guys keep in mind:
--We have the facts (suppressors clearly do not lead to gun crime)
--We have the votes to get this passed
--Most importantly, we have the backing of the people
Point these things out repeatedly, because there’s no logical reason why this should not get passed.

It’s easy to get disheartened, especially if there isn’t much apparent movement. But something you have to remember is that while you may only see the guys in this forum chiming in about calling or writing these legislators, for every one of us that makes a post, there’s many more who are simply taking action but not posting anything. There’s a lot of lurkers, and folks who don’t post regularly, but they’re out there and they’re working just as hard as you and I at pestering these lawmakers into restoring our 2A rights.

tl;dr - we’re in a tough fight, but we’re making real progress. we need to continue the emails, calls, voicemails on a daily basis - right now especially to Julian Garrett, Thomas Courtney, and Steven Sodders.

=========================

Because the ARFCOM formatting options kind of suck, I've created a spreadsheet I can share with you all via my Google Drive account. IMO it's much easier to examine what's going on by looking at the spreadsheet. If you're interested you can find it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlND0uMERbjjdC1ERE82czBCekpWR1pWME1KRjdPRVE&usp=sharing

Senate Judiciary Comittee:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

And for all of you who prefer the old style: Here is our new list:

Unheard from (read: make sure they hear from you!)
1)Jerry Behn (R) - Dist. 24
2)Rick Bertrand (R) - Dist. 7
3)Joe Bolkcom (D) - Dist. 43
4)Chris Brase (D) - Dist. 46
5)Michael Breitbach (R) - Dist. 28
6)Thomas Courtney (D) - Dist. 44
7)Jeff Danielson (D) - Dist. 30
8)Robert Dvorsky (D) - Dist. 37
9)Randy Feenstra (R) - Dist. 2
10)Jack Hatch (D) - Dist. 17
11)Wally Horn (D) - Dist. 35
12)Hubert Houser (R) - Dist. 11
13)Pam Jochum (D) - Dist. 50
14)Matt McCoy (D) - Dist. 21
15)Janet Peterson (D) - Dist. 18
16)Herman Quirmbach (D) - Dist. 23
17)Brian Schoenjahn (D) - Dist. 32
18)Joe Seng (D) - Dist. 45
19)Steven Sodders (D) - Dist. 36
20)Mary Jo Wilhelm (D) - Dist. 26

Oppose
1)  Robb Hogg (D) - Dist. 33

Uncommitted
1)Rita Hart (D) - Dist. 49
2)Liz Mathis (D) - Dist. 34
3)Amanda Ragan (D) - Dist. 27

Support
1)Bill Anderson (R) - Dist. 3
2)Daryl Beall (D) - Dist. 5
3)Dennis Black (D) - Dist. 15
4)Nancy Boetteger (R) - Dist. 9
5)Todd Bowman (D) - Dist. 29
6)Jake Chapman (D) - Dist. 10
7)Mark Chelgren (R) - Dist. 41
8)Dick Deardon (D) - Dist. 16
9)Bill Dix (R) - Dist. 25
10)Bill Dotzler (D) - Dist. 31
11)Joni Ernst (R) - Dist. 12
12)Julian Garrett (R) - Dist. 13
13)Sandy Greiner (R) - Dist. 39
14)Mike Gronstal (D) - Dist. 8
15)Dennis Guth (R) - Dist. 4
16)David Johnson (R) - Dist. 1
17)Tim Kapucian (R) - Dist. 38
18)Ken Rozenboom (R) - Dist. 40
19)Charles Schneider (R) - Dist. 22
20)Mark Segebart (R) - Dist. 6
21)Roby Smith (R) - Dist. 47
22)Amy Sinclair (R) - Dist. 14
23)Rich Taylor (D) - Dist. 42
24)Jack Whitver (R) - Dist. 19
25)Brad Zaun (R) - Dist. 20
26)Dan Zumbach (R) - Dist. 48

The names/email addresses for the 83 Representatives who approved HF2381 can be found at the top of page 9 of this thread.

Remember, this is absolutely by no means an official vote. Legislators may change their minds, or they may just pander to you. Nothing else matters except how they actually vote. This thread is merely an indication of how they MIGHT vote.

Not sure who your legislator is, or how to contact them? Click HERE to find out! The easiest way is to type in your zip code and you’ll get your legislators name. Click on their name and you can find several different ways to contact them.

Not sure what to say? NO PROBLEM! The Iowa Firearms Coalition has created a simple email page that’s got all the writing already ready done for you - CLICK HERE FOR THE IFC LETTER. All you need to do is enter your address so they can email the message to your respective legislators. I cannot overstate how easy, and valuable this tool is. This is something, if you’re like me, you’re hitting daily.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome work, you can add Amy Sinclair, Senate District 14 to the supporters.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for fun and to see how much real support there is, can someone put a D or R next to each one as applicable?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice job!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome work, you can add Amy Sinclair, Senate District 14 to the supporters.
View Quote

She's on the list. Thanks for making contact!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just for fun and to see how much real support there is, can someone put a D or R next to each one as applicable?
View Quote

Updated to reflect party affiliations, although I'd caution from jumping to any conclusions or finger pointing. Republican or Democrat they need to hear from us.

The worst thing we could do is not contact someone because of their party affiliation. Even if they indicate they won't support this, at least we know that and can use that information to form a better picture of how a potential vote may shake out. Long story short we need to be contacting everyone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Senator Rich Taylor ( D)gave me the canned response of I'll keep your comments in mind if this comes up for a vote

Rep Dave Heaton (R) never gave me a response but I see others have got one and its just as i would expect from him

Just called both and left a msg with my # I've had pretty good luck with getting a call back in the past so we'll see

ETA that was fast just got off the phone with Heaton had a nice conversation he said he has no problem supporting this but his only reservations are the use of them while hunting. Sounds like a yes but he did say the same about the dove bill and voted against it
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Kraig Paulsen (R) listed as undeclared -- is it normal for the majority leader to not declare a stance? Unless there's something I don't know, sounds like someone needs to politely browbeat him about upholding his party's platform.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Waiting to hear back from Josh Byrnes (R) some district or another.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#9]
List is up to date as of this point. Also edited the lists to make them a little easier to read by listing legislators in alphabetical order by last name.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
No response from Jack Hatch...
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#11]
add dennis black (D) from senate to support list
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got him. Thanks for doing your part.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Dennis Cohoon (D) from district 87 gave me the run around, claimed he had not read the bill and couldn't speak to the bill despite me explaining it in my initial e-mail.   I'd say he's undecided at best.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

And also Joe Ridding(d) Altoona to it also. Iowa House.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like a preponderance of support, but is it enough to force the vote??
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seems like a preponderance of support, but is it enough to force the vote??
View Quote

The house appears to have a lot of support.  The Senate seems to have a fair amount of support as well however the major sticking point is the Senate judiciary sub committee.  Robert Hogg is the chair and he has stated numerous times that he is not going to allow any pro or anti gun legislation this year.

This is a reelection year for him so it appears the safe bet is to have no record of a vote for or against guns. There are also rumors of him taking a run at the US Senate seat the Harkin is leaving at the end of his term.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
David Johnson R senator 3rd district is a strong support.

I sent jeff smith r rep from 1st another email tonight about why he is waiting on caucus info when house democrats are in strong support of the second.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
David Johnson R senator 3rd district is a strong support.

I sent jeff smith r rep from 1st another email tonight about why he is waiting on caucus info when house democrats are in strong support of the second.
View Quote

List is up to date as of this point in the thread. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
[email protected] (D) House district 85.

Vicki Lensing has not replied to my emails, list her undeclared.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Dave Jacoby (District 74) "will review the bill as it progresses" However based upon his voting record I sincerely doubt he would ever consider voting in support for legal ownership suppressors. I can't get out of this district soon enough...

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#21]
IFC and some members have been in the media before talking about gun rights.  Is it possible to get a vote on this passed in the house and sent to the senate?  After it passes in the house then IFC could draw some media attention to the issue to possibly force Mr. Hogg and other undeclared members to take a stance on the issue.

If we can't get this done this time around at the minimum I would like to get people on record as to which side they are on here.  In my opinion you are either with us or against us so all the replies that don't give a straight answer and those that don't reply at all I would consider against.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IFC and some members have been in the media before talking about gun rights.  Is it possible to get a vote on this passed in the house and sent to the senate?  After it passes in the house then IFC could draw some media attention to the issue to possibly force Mr. Hogg and other undeclared members to take a stance on the issue.
View Quote

Sure you could. but a good professional politician will just say something along the lines of "X Y and Z are much more important issues, and I don't think that we will have time to get to that suppressor other bill this session."
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Added Jacoby to the House Support column, and moved Lofgren from House Undeclared to Support. List is up to date as of this point.

Keep 'em coming guys!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

THawk-
For now I'm leaving Rep. Lensing off the list. I don't feel comfortable speculating on votes (in some cases even going off of a politician's word leaves me feeling a little dirty). So for the sake of accuracy and consistency I'm only going to add someone to the list if an ARFCOM'r has received some form communication indicating what a particular legislator's opinion is.

In retrospect listing someone as "Undeclared" is kind of a misnomer. So I'll re-word it to "Uncommitted."
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#25]
i'm proud as hell of you guys.

you're organizing within the firearm community, putting the info up for the forum to digest and the public to see, and you're making people accountable for their responses and actions.  this is AWESOME!

make sure you're telling everyone to get this going!  make sure your friends and neighbors are educated on this issue and they're being vocal in helping achieve our goal!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

THawk-
For now I'm leaving Rep. Lensing off the list. I don't feel comfortable speculating on votes (in some cases even going off of a politician's word leaves me feeling a little dirty). So for the sake of accuracy and consistency I'm only going to add someone to the list if an ARFCOM'r has received some form communication indicating what a particular legislator's opinion is.

In retrospect listing someone as "Undeclared" is kind of a misnomer. So I'll re-word it to "Uncommitted."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THawk-

good move.

if they aren't committed without doubt, they should go in the 'i'm on the fence and can't wipe my own ass' category...  maybe they need education, so that is within our power to help with it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Just got Rep. Kraig Paulsen's newsletter (Paulsen is Iowa's Speaker of the House). He's got a very important update towards the bottom. Next week is what's as known as "The Funnel." Paulsen explains the funnel this way:

Next week is the first funnel – this is the self-imposed deadline related to legislative action.  For a policy bill to remain eligible for debate by the full House at some point later during the session, it must be approved by a House Committee before the end of the week or “First Funnel.”   If a bill doesn’t survive the “First Funnel”, it is likely the issue is dead for the remainder of the year.  This rule does not apply to budget bills or tax bills.  The capitol will be a buzz with subcommittee and committee meetings.  I will update you next week with bills that survived the funnel.
View Quote

Basically this is first major hurdle/deadline for HF 384. It has be approved by the Judiciary Committee by the end of next week in order to survive.

Right now it's crucial that members of the House Judiciary Committee hear from us. To make it easier for you guys to know who to reach, here's states website with all of the Reps that sit on that committee. IA House Judiciary Committee.

To make it even easier for you here's their emails (you can also call them, the capitol switchboard number is 515-281-3221):

[div style='margin-left: 40px;'][email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

If you want any chance at suppressors in Iowa these guys need to hear from you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Rep. Stan Gustafson's email is [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Just stumbled upon this thread - was pointed out to be by the IFC (I'm a member).  I've been writing back and forth to Senators and Reps.  I've gotten confirmations of support from many people already on this list.  One person that isn't on this list yet that I've received a confirmation from...

Dennis Guth (R) - Dist 4 - Iowa Senate - Definite yes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Added Guth to the support side for the senate. Moved Heaton to the support side for the House (based on a PM I got from a fellow IA HTF member).

I also added a numbering system to make it easier to count the number of legislators for or against.

List should be correct up to this point.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#31]
add these to the support list:

Scott Orth (D), Dean Fisher (R), Tom Shaw (R), Gary Worthan (R), and Stan Gustafson (R) on the House side, and Jake Chapman (R), Mark Chelgren (R), Bill Dix (R), and Joni Ernst (R) on the Senate side

and certainly Matt Windschitl (R) from the house...  he is championing the bill!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#32]
the above adds came from the IFC lobbyist who personally shook hands with them, and they pledged their support.

keep pushing guys!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
add these to the support list:

Scott Orth (D), Dean Fisher (R), Tom Shaw (R), Gary Worthan (R), and Stan Gustafson (R) on the House side, and Jake Chapman (R), Mark Chelgren (R), Bill Dix (R), and Joni Ernst (R) on the Senate side

and certainly Matt Windschitl (R) from the house...  he is championing the bill!
View Quote

Can't believe I didn't have Windschitl on the list. You'd think I'd be aware enough to include the bill's sponsor... derp derp derp.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#34]
List is up to date. I love seeing more names come in. Keep working guys, we're making progress!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Rep. Walt Rogers (R), Dist. 60 and Rep. Dawn Pettengill (R), Dist. 39 are both strongly in the "For" column on HF384, as per their personal assurances to me.

S.F.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I received this in my email today.
Thanks Joshua for the heads up on this bill. As you know I have a record of standing up for gun rights and have many myself.

What I have heard so far from those opposed to this bill, and that's mainly police and state troopers, is they consider the sound as an early warning for illegal activity. They point to the school invasions in recent times and how the sound of gun shots gave educators time to secure children away from the action. So they argue that this bill would harm public safety not enhance it.

Your points are very valid about harm to hearing caused when not wearing protection and accuracy enhancement. Unfortunately, I don't think they will out way the public safety concerns raised by others and I would be surprised if this bill makes it out of committee.

Regardless of the outcome of this bill, you can count on me to be there when others try to erode our second amendment rights.
I would like to point out that criminals will use them regardless if they wanted to.......suppressors add a decent length to any firearm and would make concealling even harder than normal...... they only cut the noise down a bit, not enough to silence them so there would still be the 'early warning'

I probably couldn't afford to even have one anyway given the cost of everything involved, but it would be nice to quite the ar a little bit at least.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#37]
^^^^they really aren't that expensive

suppressor

I think this is what septic had in his shop a few months ago.

with tax stamp cheaper that most handgun and even basic AR's
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

suppressor

View Quote

call me cheap.... my only handguns are < $500 each. I understand $500+ scopes, but suppressors just seem unreasonably expensive, imo. Would still like to have one though
i'm more interested in the general laziness of the argument against the suppressors..... "used as an early warning alert"..... if you are relying on the sounds of gunshots to be your system of alert, there is something wrong with your alert system.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I just sent a message to megan hess the next district over.  I met her earlier this year and I think she is one who will listen to logic.  She is also a member of the judiciary committee as well as a republican.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

snip

.....   if you are relying on the sounds of gunshots to be your system of alert, there is something wrong with your alert system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

suppressor

snip

.....   if you are relying on the sounds of gunshots to be your system of alert, there is something wrong with your alert system.

I can agree with that!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I received this in my email today.
Thanks Joshua for the heads up on this bill. As you know I have a record of standing up for gun rights and have many myself.

What I have heard so far from those opposed to this bill, and that's mainly police and state troopers, is they consider the sound as an early warning for illegal activity. They point to the school invasions in recent times and how the sound of gun shots gave educators time to secure children away from the action. So they argue that this bill would harm public safety not enhance it.

Your points are very valid about harm to hearing caused when not wearing protection and accuracy enhancement. Unfortunately, I don't think they will out way the public safety concerns raised by others and I would be surprised if this bill makes it out of committee.

Regardless of the outcome of this bill, you can count on me to be there when others try to erode our second amendment rights.
I would like to point out that criminals will use them regardless if they wanted to.......suppressors add a decent length to any firearm and would make concealling even harder than normal...... they only cut the noise down a bit, not enough to silence them so there would still be the 'early warning'

I probably couldn't afford to even have one anyway given the cost of everything involved, but it would be nice to quite the ar a little bit at least.
View Quote

Who wrote this? I'd like to add another name to the "Support" list, but you left their name out.

Regardless, it's a very interesting bit of perspective, and some valuable insight. I wonder if any of our LEO colleagues have heard similar arguments? Hopefully this opinion isn't very widespread among our state's law enforcement. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#42]
List is up to date as of this point.

31 indications of support vs. a combination of 7 uncommitted and opposition stances in the House of Representatives.

In the Senate it's 13 supports to a combined 4 uncommitted's and opposed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#43]
emailed all those on the Judiciary only got a response from Heaton as you all know hes on board but heres his response.

Josh, I will be supporting the bill.

DEH

I believe the shortest reply ive ever received
At least its one in the win column
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#44]
the reply i got was from "Senator Bill Dotzler"
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
call me cheap.... my only handguns are < $500 each. I understand $500+ scopes, but suppressors just seem unreasonably expensive, imo. Would still like to have one though
View Quote

Hehe, me too.  I'm thinking an oil filter is the way to go.  Still, $75 for the adapter + $200 stamp.  I can buy a lot of ammo or reloading supplies for that.

Never the less, I want everyone who has the resources to own one to have one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Jo Oldson does not respond.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#49]
List is up to date.

House
31 Support
7 Uncommitted or Opposed

Senate
14 Support
4 Uncommitted or Opposed

Keep talking to 'em, this is a big week for us.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Megan hess is with us I will copy over email when I get home.

Nicholas-
Thanks for the email. I support this bill. Getting it out of Judiciary is one thing- but the Senate is not even going to take it up.
Thanks again for the email,
Megan
View Quote

I feel at this time just getting it out and making people look and vote on it is great.   David Johnson has told me that even if it is not allowed up for discussion parliamentary games can be played again in the senate..   Thanks for the response and for the support.
Nick Forney
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top