BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 14
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm just a guy so I don't know if this is right wrong or somewhere in between, but I've been contacting both my Rep and Senator, as well as the leadership of both houses. I figure this way my local legislators are aware of my wishes, as well as the leaders of both parties in both houses - since these guys are the ones involved in the creation of a leadership bill.

Other than that, I've been trying to educate co-workers, family members, and others in my 'sphere of influence.' Take that for what it's worth... if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Leadership:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wanted to ask is there anything more we can be doing short of contacting our reps?

I'm just a guy so I don't know if this is right wrong or somewhere in between, but I've been contacting both my Rep and Senator, as well as the leadership of both houses. I figure this way my local legislators are aware of my wishes, as well as the leaders of both parties in both houses - since these guys are the ones involved in the creation of a leadership bill.

Other than that, I've been trying to educate co-workers, family members, and others in my 'sphere of influence.' Take that for what it's worth... if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Leadership:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

spot on.  continued calls, emails, and push for this, especially with senate focus will help pave the way for a big effort as we near the session end.  we're pulling all the stops on this one and with all our work we can still achieve our goals.  as long as you guys are willing to work, we can transform that work into results!

-michael
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I will keep pushing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

THANK YOU!

these kinds of efforts ONLY work when we're all ENGAGED.  the continued push you guys are making are the reason this is continuing to be discussed and worked on.  without your work, nobody else can do theirs...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wanted to say thanks for the updates and also to those of you working hard on this.

THANK YOU!

these kinds of efforts ONLY work when we're all ENGAGED.  the continued push you guys are making are the reason this is continuing to be discussed and worked on.  without your work, nobody else can do theirs...

This is absolutely right! I'm sure many of you think that there must be something else you can be doing, but there is NOTHING that you could do that is more important than contacting your House member and your Senator. NOTHING. Call, email, talk to them in person. I don't care how, but do it and keep doing it until the session is gavelled to a close. Believe me, this issue has been driven by your efforts up to now, and they will close out the session by what you do right to the end. That's when we will know whether we have legalized silencers or not -- that last few hours of this session. You have done a magnificent job so far and the number of legislators we have on record as supporting this legislation in both chambers is because you have made it important. It most certainly wasn't important at the start of the session but now it is. Keep doing what you've been doing. And, I add my THANK YOU to Michael's!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
REO Speedwagon...Keep pushing, keep pushing, keep pushing...on
View Quote

You can tune a piano........;)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
But you can't tune-a fish.  
View Quote

Oh sure, when things get tough, insult Trout....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Was the 22nd D-Day? How did we do?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#9]
My understanding is they are still in session just their expense pay for housing ran out as of the 22nd. I'm not 100% on this as I have been swamped at work and home so perhaps one of the better informed members could confirm or deny this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My understanding is they are still in session just their expense pay for housing ran out as of the 22nd. I'm not 100% on this as I have been swamped at work and home so perhaps one of the better informed members could confirm or deny this.
View Quote

That's the way I understand it.

They usually make it a "goal" to be wrapped up by the 100th calendar day of the year (April 22 this year). But if they don't make it by that date they don't make it. All that really means is the legislators no longer get a per diem stipend.

Here a link to the 2014 Iowa Legislative Calendar

Early in the session I heard someone say they were expecting to get done a head of schedule. But here we are. Just goes to show that trying to predict what legislators will do is worse than trying to predict the weather...

EDIT: long story short - there's still time to keep fighting for legalized suppressors in Iowa!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:05:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Senate just passed the medical marijuana bill and it now requires a vote in the House, House should force a vote on suppressors in the Senate in a tit-for-tat maneuver.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Senate just passed the medical marijuana bill and it now requires a vote in the House, House should force a vote on suppressors in the Senate in a tit-for-tat maneuver.  
View Quote

Sounds good to me, but note that the passed vote was NOT a true medical marijuana law. It would be like a suppressor bill that allowed you to own one if and only if a doctor wrote a recommendation due to untreatable hyperacusis, and then you were required to travel out of state to have a -10dB suppressor permanently welded to your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't see this as tit for tat, I'm pro freedom in general.  Not just guns, booze and Jesus.

My (R) senator voted for that bill and I already contacted her and thanked her for it.  The polarized us vs. them politics isn't as strong in Iowa as it is in D.C, and I hope it remains that way.

All the hyperbole against the bill was just ridiculous.  You certainly don't hear people suggesting that we deny codeine to struggling patients because it might give kids the wrong idea about heroin.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't see this as tit for tat, I'm pro freedom in general.  Not just guns, booze and Jesus.

My (R) senator voted for that bill and I already contacted her and thanked her for it.  The polarized us vs. them politics isn't as strong in Iowa as it is in D.C, and I hope it remains that way.

All the hyperbole against the bill was just ridiculous.  You certainly don't hear people suggesting that we deny codeine to struggling patients because it might give kids the wrong idea about heroin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a retard and chose the wrong phrase, I support both bills.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I hope everyone is still contacting their legislators on the Silencer bill. We are down to the wire and it's now positioned so as to fall to the Senate to vote it up or down. So, you can leave your House member in peace and concentrate now on your Senator, especially if your Senator is a Democrat. Be polite but firm that this issue is important to you and you want a positive vote from him or her on it. Remember, I said this was going down to the last hours of the last day. The legislature plans, as of now, to work through the weekend. Things are going to compress in time as they work to get done. The House is in place but we have to keep the Senate Democrats thinking about the bill and NOT about Sen. Hogg! Now is not the time to back off. Rather it's the time to pour it on!

Keep your message short, simple, firm, and polite!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Find Your Legislator

It's in this thread but figured it could use a bump to get people to find contact for their Senators.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Emails sent!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I emailed Matt McCoy again. I'm sure he will ignore me as usual.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Got a response from my Senator (Chapman) he seemed surprisingly up beat about this.  He is in full support.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I hope everyone is still contacting their legislators on the Silencer bill. We are down to the wire and it's now positioned so as to fall to the Senate to vote it up or down. So, you can leave your House member in peace and concentrate now on your Senator, especially if your Senator is a Democrat. Be polite but firm that this issue is important to you and you want a positive vote from him or her on it. Remember, I said this was going down to the last hours of the last day. The legislature plans, as of now, to work through the weekend. Things are going to compress in time as they work to get done. The House is in place but we have to keep the Senate Democrats thinking about the bill and NOT about Sen. Hogg! Now is not the time to back off. Rather it's the time to pour it on!

Keep your message short, simple, firm, and polite!
View Quote

Thanks for the inside info! Just fired off another round.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Response from Senator Behn today:

""(Wantone)- It is not me or my leaders.
It is senate democrats pure and simple.
Since they are in the majority 26-24, they set the chairmanship of each committee.
If we win the majority this fall, then we will establish the chairmanships of each committee.
I have talked to their leaders.
They are allowing Sen Hogg to singlehandedly stop it.
Lets change that this fall!
Thanks.
Sincerely,
Jerry""(Behn)

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Since they are in the majority 26-24, they set the chairmanship of each committee.
If we win the majority this fall, then we will establish the chairmanships of each committee.
Thanks.
Sincerely,
Jerry""(Behn)

View Quote

I would like to know what Senator Behn is doing to apply pressure to the current Democrat leadership to help Iowa citizens move forward with this logical piece of legislation right now?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#23]
To me these responses of "it's not us it's them" approach ranks right up there with Senator Hogg's response of its been this way for years what's the big rush to change it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would like to know what Senator Behn is doing to apply pressure to the current Democrat leadership to help Iowa citizens move forward with this logical piece of legislation right now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Jerry""(Behn)

There is not a god damn thing he can do but bitch and moan while bending over and taking it like the rest of us till the next election that is
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, maybe so.  But fr the time being, on this matter anyway, it appears that he is on our side.

Let's give him that.

And thank him for doing so, perhaps...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#26]
We know that Sen. Behn is on our side. Frankly there are many Democrats and all the Republicans are on our side. What's necessary right now is to continue the buzz and keep the issue top-of-mind in the Senate right now. We can't have any of them thinking that we've lost hope and have faded from the arena.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Send this to your Senators.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But you can't tune-a fish.  

I'm used to it
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#29]
today might be a really big day folks!  the session is winding down and your continual work and support will impact our movement.

fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Finger crossed Septic!

Brad
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Another email sent. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
today might be a really big day folks!  the session is winding down and your continual work and support will impact our movement.

fingers crossed!
View Quote

Just heard on the radio the session may end as soon as tomorrow.

Now is the time!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

fingers crossed!
View Quote

Michael, you may not be able to say but is there a certain bill we should be watching for? Or did we make any headway today?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#34]
there are only standings/appropriations bills left.  so our issue will be attached to something like that or not at all.

with all the noise you guys have made i think we've got a great shot at getting another look from the legislature.  but, as is always the case, it can never be counted on until it is DONE.  the number of times a thing volleys back and forth at the capitol building is literally exhausting.  thus, we push as far and as hard as we can 100% of the time.  if we let up for one second, people forget.  when we don't let up, we win.  it is no more complex than that.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Another email fired of to leadership.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Well...........

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Just sent another round of emails.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#38]
The House didn't run the bill, to which the legalization of silencers is attached, yesterday as planned. Don't know why. Things are still right where they need to be as far as we know, but I'm going to the Capitol today just to find out why the planned schedule changed. But, silencer legalization is attached to a bill that has to pass both chambers before they can leave. Hang on!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#39]
GO JOHN GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

any idea what bill it is attached to?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Just came out from the NRA:

Iowa: New Path for Pro-Firearms Legislation

This pro-gun legislation could be heard at any moment -- contact your state lawmakers immediately
House File 2381 -- NRA-supported legislation to legalize firearm sound suppressors for civilian ownership in Iowa – has faced many uphill battles during this legislative session, as previously reported here.  The NRA and the Iowa Firearms Coalition (IFC) worked ceaselessly this year with members of the state Senate and House of Representatives to advance firearms freedoms for Iowans, but unfortunately, the current Iowa General Assembly was set to once again continue the trend of failing to send strong Second Amendment legislation to the Governor for enactment.

While HF 2381 failed due to anti-gun state legislators who ignored the voices of those who elected them, the NRA refused to give up and has been working hard behind the scenes to achieve legislative victory for our members in this session.  Due to the overwhelming demand for this bill and action by NRA members, House leadership and dedicated state Representatives worked with NRA and IFC to make a new path for this legislation this year.  The language and intent of HF 2381 has been offered for incorporation into the end of session Standing Appropriations Bill, House File 2473, as amendment H-8315, filed yesterday by state Representative Matt Windschitl (R-17).

This newly proposed provision still faces many legislative hurdles.  The Iowa House of Representatives could vote on this language at any moment and send it to the state Senate for its consideration.  Your help is needed NOW to ensure a legislative victory for firearms owners in Iowa this year!  Contact your state Representative and Senator, and urge their support for passage of the pro-firearms amendment H-8315 to HF 2473!  Call the House switchboard at (515) 281-3221 and the Senate switchboard at (515) 281-3371.  Additional contact information for members of the Iowa Legislature can be found here.

Be assured, your NRA will continue to work for passage of pro-gun matters as the session comes to an end.  Your voice makes the difference, and it is needed now more than ever!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#42]
DONE.  HR 2473
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the NRA email that just went out...

I'm sitting in a meeting right now otherwise I'd discuss more.

This pro-gun legislation could be heard at any moment -- contact your state lawmakers immediately
House File 2381 -- NRA-supported legislation to legalize firearm sound suppressors for civilian ownership in Iowa – has faced many uphill battles during this legislative session, as previously reported here.  The NRA and the Iowa Firearms Coalition (IFC) worked ceaselessly this year with members of the state Senate and House of Representatives to advance firearms freedoms for Iowans, but unfortunately, the current Iowa General Assembly was set to once again continue the trend of failing to send strong Second Amendment legislation to the Governor for enactment.

While HF 2381 failed due to anti-gun state legislators who ignored the voices of those who elected them, the NRA refused to give up and has been working hard behind the scenes to achieve legislative victory for our members in this session.  Due to the overwhelming demand for this bill and action by NRA members, House leadership and dedicated state Representatives worked with NRA and IFC to make a new path for this legislation this year.  The language and intent of HF 2381 has been offered for incorporation into the end of session Standing Appropriations Bill, House File 2473, as amendment H-8315, filed yesterday by state Representative Matt Windschitl (R-17).

This newly proposed provision still faces many legislative hurdles.  The Iowa House of Representatives could vote on this language at any moment and send it to the state Senate for its consideration.  Your help is needed NOW to ensure a legislative victory for firearms owners in Iowa this year!  Contact your state Representative and Senator, and urge their support for passage of the pro-firearms amendment H-8315 to HF 2473!  Call the House switchboard at (515) 281-3221 and the Senate switchboard at (515) 281-3371.  Additional contact information for members of the Iowa Legislature can be found here.

Be assured, your NRA will continue to work for passage of pro-gun matters as the session comes to an end.  Your voice makes the difference, and it is needed now more than ever!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The House didn't run the bill, to which the legalization of silencers is attached, yesterday as planned. Don't know why. Things are still right where they need to be as far as we know, but I'm going to the Capitol today just to find out why the planned schedule changed. But, silencer legalization is attached to a bill that has to pass both chambers before they can leave. Hang on!
View Quote

That is good news
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Any chance the IFC can update their form letter for this latest update? We seem to get a lot of added help from folks such as friends, wives, co worker etc when they can do it in a few clicks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Sent!

Dear Representative Kaufmann,

As you know The House had passed the supressor bill earlier this year and went on to the Senate where it then died in subcommittee. The same language and intent of the original House bill has been filed as Amendment H-8315 to Standing Appropriations Bill, House File 2473.

I once again urge you to support this legislation and as always I greatly appreciate your continued contact with voters in your district.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I sent another to my rep's junk mail box. Pretty sure I'm blacklisted I only got an automated reply the first email.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Driving home now as soon as I get there I will fire off another round of emails

Home and second round of emails sent...making calls now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any chance the IFC can update their form letter for this latest update? We seem to get a lot of added help from folks such as friends, wives, co worker etc when they can do it in a few clicks.
View Quote

^^^^^^ THIS!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Email I got from the NRA...

This pro-gun legislation could be heard at any moment -- contact your state

lawmakers immediately

House File 2381 -- NRA-supported legislation to legalize firearm sound suppressors for civilian ownership

in Iowa – has faced many uphill battles during this legislative session, as previously reported here. The

NRA and the Iowa Firearms Coalition (IFC) worked ceaselessly this year with members of the state Senate

and House of Representatives to advance firearms freedoms for Iowans, but unfortunately, the current

Iowa General Assembly was set to once again continue the trend of failing to send strong Second

Amendment legislation to the Governor for enactment.

While HF 2381 failed due to anti-gun state legislators who ignored the voices of those who elected them,

the NRA refused to give up and has been working hard behind the scenes to achieve legislative victory for

our members in this session. Due to the overwhelming demand for this bill and action by NRA members,

House leadership and dedicated state Representatives worked with NRA and IFC to make a new path for

this legislation this year. The language and intent of HF 2381 has been offered for incorporation into the

end of session Standing Appropriations Bill, House File 2473, as amendment H-8315, filed yesterday by

state Representative Matt Windschitl (R-17).

This newly proposed provision still faces many legislative hurdles. The Iowa House of Representatives

could vote on this language at any moment and send it to the state Senate for its consideration. Your help

is needed NOW to ensure a legislative victory for firearms owners in Iowa this year! Contact your state

Representative and Senator, and urge their support for passage of the pro-firearms amendment H-8315 to

HF 2473! Call the House switchboard at (515) 281-3221 and the Senate switchboard at (515) 281-3371.

Additional contact information for members of the Iowa Legislature can be found here.

Be assured, your NRA will continue to work for passage of pro-gun matters as the session comes to an

end. Your voice makes the difference, and it is needed now more than ever!

Can the IFC update their letter with this information?
Page / 14
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top