BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/30/2014 11:41:05 AM EDT
they just sent out this message:

Moments ago I walked out of the Capitol after meeting with several legislators discussing the current status on pro-gun bills – and you won’t believe what they are trying to do now. It’s vital that you read this alert and then take the action requested. Too often, gun owners are told what they have to accept – what the power brokers in Des Moines are willing to 'let them have.'

We’ve experienced this for years. In fact, it was the legislature’s “willingness” to allow Iowans to languish under an abusive “May Issue” permit system that led to the formation of Iowa Gun Owners in the first place. We fight, day in and day out, to tell the politicians in Des Moines what gun owners expect of them. Period.

They may choose to ignore that, but more and more they are learning that gun owners in Iowa are educated and mobilized and they have long memories when it comes to their gun rights being threatened. The results of this educational work are evident, as every two years when the new General Assembly gavels in anti-gunners look at new faces holding down seats where their fellow anti-gunners used to sit.

This is why IGO works hard to get recorded, roll call votes on the tough, substantive bills that Iowans want.

Stand-Your-Ground legislation...

Constitutional Carry...

Repeal of the Unconstitutional Permit-to-Purchase.

You see almost anyone can support heavily regulated “freedom.” That’s why Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) and even President Obama – and at the local level Senator Mike Gronstal (D–Council Bluffs) and Senator Robert Hogg (D-Cedar Rapids) all claim to be “pro-gun.”

In their minds they are! That’s why it’s vital that we obtain votes on the toughest bills possible – to separate the wheat from the chaff. And that’s why we don’t get overly excited when we see bills introduced in the legislature that mildly expands freedom but do so in a way that props up anti-gunners and, consequently, harms our gun rights long term.

For example, HF384, a bill designed to allow for suppressors here in Iowa, would require the following dog and pony show before you could possess one:

1. Apply for permission with Eric Holder’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

2. Wait 9 months or more for approval, if you even receive it.

3. Complete another background check, this time through Eric Holder’s FBI, when they aren’t too busy giving guns to the Mexican drug cartels via the infamous Fast and Furious scandal.

4. Wait an extended period of time for yet another approval letter.

5. Forever add yourself to a government database by getting your fingerprints taken.

6. Get approval from the local sheriff – a virtual impossibility in many parts of Iowa as many of these sheriffs are the same ones still arguing in Des Moines about “Shall Issue” legislation – 3 years after it passed!

7. Find a qualified dealer who will handle the transfer and pay whatever fees are required to obtain his assistance.

8. Pay a fee, after paying for your background checks, fingerprinting, and transfer costs, of $200 for each suppressor you purchase.

Does this sound like the sort of freedom that you want to fight for? Are we really supposed to be happy with seeing lawful gun owners treated this way?

It would seem to be easier for a recently released, convicted child molester to obtain permission to move in next to a daycare than for your average gun owner in Iowa to be allowed to exercise his Constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms!  What’s more, this is yet another dream “cover bill” for anti-gunners to hide behind. Recognizing that this “freedom” is so incredibly regulated as to be virtually worthless to the average gun owner – many anti-gun legislators will undoubtedly support this bill in a desperate ploy to confuse their voters headed into this fall’s elections.

That’s why Iowa Gun Owners is focused so heavily on obtaining votes on truly ‘No Compromise’ legislation like Constitutional Carry and Stand Your Ground legislation – so that gun owners in Iowa will be educated on where their legislators really stand on your gun rights. We don’t want to be treated like child molesters, and we don’t want our guns registered, quantified, and approved by the government! I'm sure you agree, so please do two things right away:

1. Call your legislator right now and demand that he/she co-sponsor and support Constitutional Carry and Stand Your Ground legislation being introduced by Rep. Tom Shaw. Tell them that cover bills are not what you are interested in! You can reach your Representative by calling the Capitol switchboard at 515-281-3221.

2. Call Speaker Kraig Paulsen’s office and insist that he schedule votes on the Constitutional Carry and Stand-Your-Ground legislation being brought forward by Rep. Tom Shaw. Remind him that gun owners no longer just blindly follow candidates who claim to be pro-gun but then do nothing to advance those freedoms once safely in office. You may reach Speaker Paulsen’s office by calling 515-281-3521.

Please consider assisting Iowa Gun Owners by chipping in $50, $25, or even just $10 today!

We are engaged in a constant battle to see pro-gun bills advanced through the General Assembly and at the same time make sure that a multitude of gun control bills do not advance.

Every penny of your donation stays here in Iowa, to ensure that you Iowa gun rights are looked out for. Please do whatever you can right away.

But your calls and emails are most important – please contact your legislators right away!

For Freedom,

Aaron Dorr
Executive Director

P.S. It’s an election year, and gun-grabbers are nervous about their prospects for 2014. That’s why they are trying to get behind heavily regulated bills – so they can claim to be pro-gun when the voters ask them later this year. This week saw yet another “cover bill” make progress in the General Assembly. That’s why it’s vital you call your representative right away at 515-281-3221 and insist that they co-sponsor and vote for Constitutional Carry and Stand-Your-Ground legislation being sponsored by Rep. Tom Shaw. You may also email the message below to your representative.

Please consider chipping in whatever you can to help us keep the pressure on in Des Moines. Whether it be $50, $25 or even just $10 – every bit helps!

notice the part in BOLD...  THAT IS FEDERAL LAW...  NO STATE is void of that regulation, so in their email they demonize NRA, IFC, and all Iowans that want to own suppressors by lying and telling you that we're trying to put some new burden on you...

see how they think?  either they're so stupid they don't know the difference and don't know what they're doing OR they're just lying, as usual, to extract $$$ from your outrage...

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
these guys are ACTIVELY working against all the work, all the rallys, all the emails, all the calls, all the work you ALL do to push legislation forward.

they're scared shitless they won't be able to take credit for something, so they are going to actively work against you all.  i wouldn't be shocked to see they align with the des moines register and cedar rapids gazette in trying to stop this...
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Or they believe and are counting on the average gun owner being stupid enough to not know the difference.

So according to them, Iowa shouldn't even have what other states have because that would be compromising?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or they believe and are counting on the average gun owner being stupid enough to not know the difference.

So according to them, Iowa shouldn't even have what other states have because that would be compromising?
View Quote

This.

Self-serving, money-grubbing, FUD-spreading, con artists.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Makes me sick why I support the good guys IFC now if we can only make sure they have deeper pockets than IGO adventually we will get this passed
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

All of the above posts pretty much say it. We need to get the message across to as many people as possible. There is only one way to get rid of IGO and that is to reduce their ability to collect funds from unknowing folks who believe the garbage they are fed. I have been getting IGO emails for several years. Before I joined up with IFC I thought IGO was doing something. I soon found out that they were doing little to nothing to advance our rights and were literally claiming that they had accomplished things they had nothing to do with previously. If IFC and the NRA should get suppressors passed I can pretty much guarantee you that they will claim that they were the reason.

IGO must be stopped. Your rights hang in the balance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The news today said that a bill limiting magazine capacity is working its way through congress right now as well.  Anyone know anything about this?

It wouldn't surprise me...hey look over here at this bill for suppressors...meanwhile over here we are limiting your magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Ugh. WTF> I'm going to send them a nice little FB message. and see why in the fuck they seem to be so hell bent on keeping iowa from getting surpressers. Last time I checked, ALL of the things in their 'dog and pony" show, are the same things you have to go through in ANY state that allows surpressors.

This is what I just messaged them on FB. We shall see what they reply, if they do. :

It has recently come to my attention that you are sending out emails trying to get people to stand behind your opposition to HF384. My question is this, if you are really supporters of our(Iowans) rights, why do you seem to always want to fight bills like this? Your email states that it would require a "dog and pony" show to posses a suppressor, however, what you fail to mention is all of those things listed are federal mandates, and that EVER state that allows NFA/Class 3 follows this same "dog and pony" show. Its nothing new. But because you dont agree with those rules, you are trying to oppose the whole bill in general, kind of like trying to have your cake and eat it to, yes? I'm just confused on who you really stand behind, because from where I am standing, it looks like you are fighting for the other team, and trust me on this, I am NOT The only Iowan who has noticed this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ugh. WTF> I'm going to send them a nice little FB message. and see why in the fuck they seem to be so hell bent on keeping iowa from getting surpressers.
View Quote

Be sure to check back to let us know how quickly they ban you from their page.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Be sure to check back to let us know how quickly they ban you from their page.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh. WTF> I'm going to send them a nice little FB message. and see why in the fuck they seem to be so hell bent on keeping iowa from getting surpressers.

Yup. Still havn't gotten a reply. Fucking makes me sick.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
they just sent out this message:

see how they think?  either they're so stupid they don't know the difference and don't know what they're doing OR they're just lying, as usual, to extract $$$ from your outrage...

View Quote

I got the same e-mail.  Know thy enemy and all.  Unfortunately, I replied and told them off.  Then unsubscribed.  I can't take their bs any longer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#12]
You can see right through these guys.  It's a complete play against IFC.  You guys need to reign these idiots in.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I really hope Shaw has not become the new Sorenson.  I had a different perception of him before he started appearing in their emails.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really hope Shaw has not become the new Sorenson.  I had a different perception of him before he started appearing in their emails.
View Quote

Tom is not seeking reelection in a safe Republican District.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

i don't think he's considered the character of these asshats and only looks at the 'proposed' mission...  it is either that, or he's stupid.  don't know which....  don't care.  you throw in with the dishonest, then you reap what you sow...
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i don't think he's considered the character of these asshats and only looks at the 'proposed' mission...  it is either that, or he's stupid.  don't know which....  don't care.  you throw in with the dishonest, then you reap what you sow...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still havn't heard anything back from them. Sent them both an email and fb message. Cowards.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Still havn't heard anything back from them. Sent them both an email and fb message. Cowards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But they have left comments all over Silencerco's FB page and various others that are in obvious support of passing this legislation.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But they have left comments all over Silencerco's FB page and various others that are in obvious support of passing this legislation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. FUck them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#19]
The antis have taken our rights bit by bit... meanwhile IGO claims to want to take them all back at once, and shit all over any attempts to get them back bit by bit, trashing good organizations like NRA, IFC, and ASA with real track records.

They don't truly want anything.  They jump up and down and scream about the same thing they've been harping on for years and years while begging for money.  And they're still where they started, every dollar given to them has been squandered.

We're not going to get Constitutional Carry in Iowa until the Senate leadership is changed.  Meanwhile, I'll take my shall issue and my dove hunting and my traditional lead ammo and my suppressors.

"Politics is the art of the possible." - Otto Von Bismarck

A point entirely lost on the clowns at IGO, it seems.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to help reverse the tide, get on Facebook and wait for this to pop up:

Contact the people you know directly who've liked their page, and explain to them why IGO is a scam.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Uhhh... wat?

So let's jump up and down and not get a STATE law pushed through because the FEDERAL laws still exist? Do they know how dumb they are or is this strictly done out of malice?

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I have five facebook friends that liked them and only three friend who liked IFC. I'll message them and tell them to come to the good side
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Uhhh... wat?

So let's jump up and down and not get a STATE law pushed through because the FEDERAL laws still exist? Do they know how dumb they are or is this strictly done out of malice?
View Quote

You got it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhh... wat?

You got it.

Not quite. I believe that it is pure greed. They do this for the money.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
From their facebook page. This guy really is a scam artists.

Michael Joseph Salzbrenner I'm getting a lot of flack from some individuals from other "Gun Rights Groups" for not being all giddy about this bill. Silencerco page, Gun Rights Across America page, and some others that are making BIG pushes to get everyone all fired up for this. A couple individuals have gone so far as to directly attacked IGO as being ridiculous for even bring up these articles. So I figured I would share my "canned" response to these naysayers. ; Here is the thing. This bill is what it is. All of these politicians will use their vote to falsely convince people they are pro-gun, just so they can "shadow" all the attempts they have made to make firearms illegal. And what good is legalizing suppressors if these people just turn around and shove through their REAL agenda to eliminate firearms. Now you will have a suppressor and NOTHING to put it on. There are TRULY important bills being brought in that should be more important. Like Constitutional Carry, Stand Your Ground, ect. ect. ect. These bills are the ones that these politicians be voting against, and will be using your coveted little "suppressor bill" to say "Oh but I'm all pro-gun." They will vote for the tit and then drop the cow on top of you. I'm not saying this bill shouldn't be supported. I'm just saying it is a miniscule little tidbit that they are throwing out to keep the dogs from barking. Go ahead and support this, but keep you eye on the REAL prize, and don't let them use this little morsel to cloud your powers of observation. If everyone is going to get this worked up over such a trivial little gain, I only hope that 100X the effort is put in place for the issues that REALLY count. All this for suppressors? Really? If you haven't noticed there are MUCH bigger fish to fry.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#26]
These guys and their constitutional carry... WHAT constitution?  Certainly not the Iowa State Constitution, we have no RKBA in Iowa.

And the federal constitution?  Do we really want to rely on that for our right to carry?  We're a heartbeat away from our 5-4 gun-friendly Supreme Court of the United States being 5-4 anti-gun.  Literally a heartbeat, any one of those justices could pass away or retire at any time.  Then what is Iowa left with?

What we need is an amendment to the State Constitution with wording like IFC/NRA got passed through the house a couple years back.  Then we can get constitutional carry under Iowa's own constitutional RKBA.

I'm not on board with hanging our RKBA future on the same feeble framework as the federal RKBA... we need to protect the future.  All of us probably want to see constitutional carry come to Iowa and every state, but at what risk?  We have shall issue, ask yourself what is truly more important?
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These guys and their constitutional carry... WHAT constitution?  Certainly not the Iowa State Constitution, we have no RKBA in Iowa.

And the federal constitution?  Do we really want to rely on that for our right to carry?  We're a heartbeat away from our 5-4 gun-friendly Supreme Court of the United States being 5-4 anti-gun.  Literally a heartbeat, any one of those justices could pass away or retire at any time.  Then what is Iowa left with?

What we need is an amendment to the State Constitution with wording like IFC/NRA got passed through the house a couple years back.  Then we can get constitutional carry under Iowa's own constitutional RKBA.

I'm not on board with hanging our RKBA future on the same feeble framework as the federal RKBA... we need to protect the future.  All of us probably want to see constitutional carry come to Iowa and every state, but at what risk?  We have shall issue, ask yourself what is truly more important?
View Quote

well said
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#28]
How I understand Constitutional carry you will have no permit or paper work from LE that you can carry a firearm under the law. So if you are stopped while carrying a gun LE will have to take your word that you can legally carry or do a back round check. You will also have no paper work if you are out of state but in a state that would take a Iowa permit to carry but now there would be no permit. I think the trip to the court house every five years is a small price to pay conpaired to no permit if you are stopped.

I also think just adding the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution to the Iowa Constitution would be a real easy sell and add a extra layer of protection for gun rights in this state.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree, when and if Constitutional Carry comes to Iowa, I intend to keep renewing my Iowa PCW for all the benefits it brings.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How I understand Constitutional carry you will have no permit or paper work from LE that you can carry a firearm under the law. So if you are stopped while carrying a gun LE will have to take your word that you can legally carry or do a back round check. You will also have no paper work if you are out of state but in a state that would take a Iowa permit to carry but now there would be no permit. I think the trip to the court house every five years is a small price to pay conpaired to no permit if you are stopped.

I also think just adding the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution to the Iowa Constitution would be a real easy sell and add a extra layer of protection for gun rights in this state.
View Quote

IANAL but, AFAIK Constitutional Carry goes a little bit further than that and it is, sort of, why the guys who want it get perceived in a bad light. If you are stopped suggests that a LEO or group of LEOs arrests, detains or otherwise prevents you(I'm using "you" because you used "you"  don't take it personally) from leaving/ending the conversation(aka the LEOs seize you). The argument then becomes one of the 4th amendment, not just the 2nd. In order to seize you they must have probably cause to arrest you and/or reasonable and articulate suspicion that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit a crime. Without these things they can not seize you without having violated your 4th amendment rights.

A seizure without those things can result in a couple things: 1. Any evidence they may discover as the result of the seizure becomes inadmissible in a court of law(fruit of the poisonous tree) and any case they would build from it basically falls apart. 2. The legal protection those LEOs would normally have(acting in good faith as part of their duties) no longer protects them(this is not absolute and is often settled out of court so there is not as much legal precedent/stare decisis on the issue) and the LEOs, their superiors and any of those seemingly directly involved/responsible for their actions may be sued for civil rights violations. Those civil rights violations can range from very small things(no money, court orders) to very large things(career path changes for the LEOs involved and tens of thousands of dollars in punitive damages). If you have ever seen the videos on YouTube of open carriers in freer states than Iowa refusing to answer questions and repeatedly asking "Am I being detained?" you will begin to see how, though legally acceptable in most cases, they aren't exactly the best representatives to LE or the public of the pro 2nd amendment community. They are seen as people looking for a fight, or baiting LE into violating their rights in order to sue them for large sums of money.

TLDR? Here's a summary.

The default status is not that of a prohibited person, so LE needs a reason to stop you to check if you are. If you are exercising a right(permits are privileges, carrying under the 2nd amendment or state parallel, that Iowans don't have, is a right) they need something other than your exercising of a right (possession of a firearm), regardless of how "not normal" is may be, to stop you. Just because it isn't "normal" to see does not mean it's criminally suspicious. Going down the slope of logic that it's "not normal" reminds me way too much of Scott Henson and his granddaughter Ty in Austin, Texas.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not an easy sell.  I asked that same question of our state rep at the caucus a couple of weeks ago and he said it was unlikely they would do something like that this year just to score "political points."  He's Republican btw.  He said they would probably wait until they got a Republican Senate to go with the House so they could get it done, so don't expect to see it anytime soon.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's not an easy sell.  I asked that same question of our state rep at the caucus a couple of weeks ago and he said it was unlikely they would do something like that this year just to score "political points."  He's Republican btw.  He said they would probably wait until they got a Republican Senate to go with the House so they could get it done, so don't expect to see it anytime soon.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While it might be easier to do that way does not mean it cannot be done any other way. Emails and calls to legislators do quite a bit. When we (Iowa Carry/now IFC) passed shall issue we didn't have a Republican controlled House and Senate. A leading cause was the several thousand emails and calls that were received by those legislators that got it passed. IFC's lobbyists know the in's and out's at the State House. We need to give them the support they need to show grass roots support across the state. It may come to pass that it doesn't happen but those emails and calls will remain implanted in those legislators minds the next round. Continued pressure is what it takes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

While it might be easier to do that way does not mean it cannot be done any other way. Emails and calls to legislators do quite a bit. When we (Iowa Carry/now IFC) passed shall issue we didn't have a Republican controlled House and Senate. A leading cause was the several thousand emails and calls that were received by those legislators that got it passed. IFC's lobbyists know the in's and out's at the State House. We need to give them the support they need to show grass roots support across the state. It may come to pass that it doesn't happen but those emails and calls will remain implanted in those legislators minds the next round. Continued pressure is what it takes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying that WE shouldn't continue to pressure them.  I'm just saying that I don't see it happening from what he told me.  Apparently they think the gas tax is a bigger issue than guns.  What we need to do is put pressure on legislators to actually take votes on issues rather than walking out when they don't like what they are asked to vote on.  That's the kind of thing I don't forget come election time.  I seriously want a RKBA article in the Iowa Constitution.  It already contains articles protecting the same rights as the US Constitution does EXCEPT the RKBA.  Let's get that done and then get SYG passed.    
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not into bad mouthing any side that doesn't agree with my opinion.  In this case we should be on the same side of the fence with common goals.  I heard Tom Shaw speak at the rally at the Capital last year and was quite impressed or else it was just another political show for appearance.  In any case I went with my personal feelings and contacted my representative and senator as per request of IFC yesterday. Will I ever install a surpressor on my AR or any other weapons, no but I want the right to do it as almost all states are allowed to do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I sent an e-mail to my Senator (D) and Rep (D).
So I did my duty politely by pointing out they are already heavily regulated by the Federal Government.
I just don't think it would do any good...

But boy, howdy would I love to get Suppressors. Personally I'd rather have SBR first.
But more Liberty and less infringement... what's not to like?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted: I'm just saying that I don't see it happening from what he told me.    
View Quote

...and that is only ONE person out of the 3,000,000+ in iowa, so he's welcome to his opinion.  as long as you form your reality based on the wants of others, goals like ours cannot come to fruition.  when you decide to listen to what they tell you, then wipe your ass with it, and continue forward never detoured, you'll form the new reality you dream of...  when i'm told something won't or can't happen, it makes me push harder.  that mindset shakes the naysayers to their core, and when shaken, they tend to either get on board or at least out of the way.

perfect example is the SHALL ISSUE law.  there were hardly any legislators that wanted to mess with that, or even cared about it.  but the movement began, and continued to grow until it could no longer be stopped.  our elected officials had NO CHOICE, but to do what we asked of them.  that is true power and it works.  it works over and over and over.  ...and it can only work when we cease accepting the silly notions of the 'informed' political class.

not picking on you NH.  i know exactly what you're saying and why you're saying it.  i'm asking you to modify your thinking and no longer take what they'd give us...
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

not picking on you NH.  i know exactly what you're saying and why you're saying it.  i'm asking you to modify your thinking and no longer take what they'd give us...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am not taking what I am given......just saying what we are up against.  I am not going to stop e-mailing them and letting them know how I feel on the subject of guns.  This was my e-mail to his office the morning after the caucus.  

Mr. Grassley,

Last night, you were nice enough to stop by our caucus in Reinbeck and let us know a little about what will be going on in the next session.  I was rather disappointed with the answers you gave to my questions about the pro gun bills that have been proposed.  I got the impression that since they are unlikely to pass the Senate, there is no point in trying.  The Democrats don't feel that way about the House as they are pushing HF163 and HF 164 and SF233.  If any of those come up for a vote, they need to be voted down.  You also need to be vigilant against any kind of "assault weapon" ban legislation.  Not only that, but new laws like Stand Your Ground need to be passed so that Iowans can protect themselves even away from home.  Like the commercial says, "trouble never takes a holiday."  It is a human right to protect oneself and is recognized as such and protected by the U.S. Constitution.  It is troubling that eight sections of the Iowa Constitution follow almost verbatim six of the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution, and yet it has no section set aside to protect the right to keep and bear arms.  If our other rights are protected by the U.S. Constitution AND the Iowa Constitution, the right to keep and bear arms should be as well.

I also think Iowa Republicans should not underestimate Michael Bloomberg's political presence in Iowa.  The mayors of Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Davenport, Decorah, Des Moines, Dubuque, Fairfield and Iowa City are members of his Mayors Against Illegal Guns group.  Bloomberg has pumped money into the recall elections in Colorado to try and save those legislators and did so in Nevada to influence the Governor there to sign anti-gun laws.  In both cases, he failed, but with his kind of money, he has no reason to give up.  Now that he is "retired" he has all the time in the world to continue his crusade to outlaw guns across this country by giving money to anti-gun politicians up for re-election and trying to destroy those who voted against the gun bills in the US Congress.  We must make it clear to Bloomberg that his money and liberal ideas are not welcome in Iowa.  

Very sincerely yours,
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I am not taking what I am given......just saying what we are up against.  I am not going to stop e-mailing them and letting them know how I feel on the subject of guns.  This was my e-mail to his office the morning after the caucus.  

Mr. Grassley,

Last night, you were nice enough to stop by our caucus in Reinbeck and let us know a little about what will be going on in the next session.  I was rather disappointed with the answers you gave to my questions about the pro gun bills that have been proposed.  I got the impression that since they are unlikely to pass the Senate, there is no point in trying.  The Democrats don't feel that way about the House as they are pushing HF163 and HF 164 and SF233.  If any of those come up for a vote, they need to be voted down.  You also need to be vigilant against any kind of "assault weapon" ban legislation.  Not only that, but new laws like Stand Your Ground need to be passed so that Iowans can protect themselves even away from home.  Like the commercial says, "trouble never takes a holiday."  It is a human right to protect oneself and is recognized as such and protected by the U.S. Constitution.  It is troubling that eight sections of the Iowa Constitution follow almost verbatim six of the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution, and yet it has no section set aside to protect the right to keep and bear arms.  If our other rights are protected by the U.S. Constitution AND the Iowa Constitution, the right to keep and bear arms should be as well.

I also think Iowa Republicans should not underestimate Michael Bloomberg's political presence in Iowa.  The mayors of Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Davenport, Decorah, Des Moines, Dubuque, Fairfield and Iowa City are members of his Mayors Against Illegal Guns group.  Bloomberg has pumped money into the recall elections in Colorado to try and save those legislators and did so in Nevada to influence the Governor there to sign anti-gun laws.  In both cases, he failed, but with his kind of money, he has no reason to give up.  Now that he is "retired" he has all the time in the world to continue his crusade to outlaw guns across this country by giving money to anti-gun politicians up for re-election and trying to destroy those who voted against the gun bills in the US Congress.  We must make it clear to Bloomberg that his money and liberal ideas are not welcome in Iowa.  

Very sincerely yours,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Grassley,

Very sincerely yours,

great stuff man, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#39]
You'll be interested to know that IGO has now claimed credit for advancing the suppressor bill that Rep Windschitl and countless others have worked on for years alongside NRA and IFC.

The SAME BILL they railed against in their emails out to people they are now claiming credit for, and thanking their members for all their emails and support.  If these asshats aren't the biggest bunch of liars you've ever seen, then you're simply and idiot.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Robert Moody appears to not know what he's talking about.

Good to see IGO claiming victory for something they were working against lol.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Someone should post their email against it and their latest claim side by side
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Here is their original email again, in case anyone missed it.

You just KNOW people will hand them money because of this...  IGO are the worst kind of hucksters.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#43]
ETA: already taken care of.  That was quick.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got this e-mail:

Dear Dear Friend,                    February 27, 2014                  
Moments ago the Iowa House voted 82-16 to pass HF2381, a bill to allow law abiding Iowans the means to purchase and use suppressors on firearms.

While this bill came up for a vote too quickly for IGO to get an email out, we were able to communicate with tens of thousands of you via Facebook and your calls and your emails made a huge difference in determining the outcome of this vote.

(If you’re not following IGO on Facebook and would like to, just go here and “Like” our page. This will give you moment by moment updates on the 2nd Amendment fight here in Iowa.)

This bill now goes to the Senate where it faces an uncertain future. We need you to immediately contact your State Senator and urge them to support the bill. You can find your State Senator’s email address by following this link.

At the same time, please take a moment to email Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal (D-Council Bluffs) and urge him to move this bill to the Floor for a vote. His email address is [email protected].

Thank you for all of your activism and hard work in defense of your 2nd Amendment rights!

I’m sure you’ll agree, directly or indirectly, IGO members are clearly driving the pro-gun agenda here in Iowa - as you have been going back to the passage of ‘Shall Issue’ legislation in 2010.

The General Assembly has no choice but to keep passing gun bills because you never let up – and they know they have to do something or face angry voters at election time.

But this is only half of the story and we’d be remiss if we didn’t give you the other half.

The truth is that the Iowa House and Senate are working overtime to kill the substantial gun bills that have been brought before them for the last few years – and this year is no different.

Stand-Your-Ground legislation, HF2113, which would protect you from being wrongfully arrested after being forced to defend yourself from a criminal attacker is being held up in the very same House Judiciary Committee that moved this suppressor bill.

Many of you know the story of Jay Lewis, the man so many of you personally helped once he was released from prison here in Des Moines last year.

Mr. Lewis was attacked by multiple attackers with dozens of criminal convictions, he warned them to stay back, and they continued to menace him forcing him to shoot one of them in the shoulder.

Despite telling the suspects 11 times to get back, as documented in the 911 audio tape, he spent 112 days languishing in prison waiting for his day in court until a jury of his peers found him innocent.

Mr. Lewis, nor you or I, are any safer from wrongful prosecution or civil suits as a result of this vote today.

Constitutional Carry, HF2284, which would simply allow any law abiding Iowan who can legally own a handgun to carry a handgun for self-defense without needing government permission, hasn’t even been assigned to a sub-committee this year.

This simple concept is law already in states like Vermont, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Wyoming and more.

These states, incidentally, are some of the safest in America because criminals everywhere know if they attack someone in these states they are very likely going to be shot for their trouble!

Many members of the House have told you and me that they support this legislation during election time. Dozens of these legislators, including virtually the entire House leadership team, have pledged in writing to support this legislation on their candidate surveys from previous elections.

Yet when the elections are over and they are safely back in Des Moines, they assign these bills to handpicked committees where they know they can lock down these bills without ever voting on them.

They are afraid of voting on them because they know that many of their co-workers would vote no and they know that Iowa Gun Owners’ members across the state would be made aware of these votes and they are terrified of what that may mean at election time as they may lose their majority control.

My office line rings almost daily with a concerned Iowan on the other end who wants to carry a defensive weapon but can’t afford the fees involved or who doesn’t want the government to add them to a list somewhere for obtaining a permit.

These people are no safer today because of the passage of today’s bill.

In fact, since suppressors can run as high as $2,000 or more and the permits and fees cost an additional couple hundred dollars, it’s obvious that this bill will benefit only a small percentage of gun owners here in Iowa.

Suppressors are fun, aid in preventing hearing loss, and make you a better neighbor by muffling the noise while shooting on your property.

But suppressor legislation isn't going to make the next Jay Lewis feel any better sitting in jail for 4 months because some anti-gun county prosecutor wants to go on a politically motivated witch hunt.

Worse still, all of the anti-gun legislators in the Capitol will now be rushing out to tell you, their voters, how pro-gun they are, full well knowing that they are anti-gun.

The votes are there to demonstrate that – but now they can use this much smaller vote as “proof” to their voters of their “pro-gun votes.”

These actions only make it harder for us to pass the substantive bills that Iowans need by allowing voters to be fooled at election time. These are political cover bills, plain and simple, as evidenced by the final vote count of 82-16.

So after you’ve taken a moment to email your State Senator and Senator Gronstal, take a moment to email your legislator in the House.

Thank him or her if they voted yes on HF2381 - but make sure they know that you’re watching to see what they do with the real issues confronting gun owners in Iowa.

Tell them that you know that the House has the power to move legislation whenever they want and that “funnel deadlines” are no problem for leadership – and that you expect them to use all of these procedural tools to protect you and your gun rights.

Feel free to use the suggested email below.

Thank you for your activism and hard work this session – keep it up!

For Freedom,

Aaron Dorr
Executive Director

Yeah,suppressors can "run as high as 2000.00",but there are a heluva lot that are cheaper than that..................
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Wait, did they just try to take credit for it and slam it in the same email ?  They forgot to ask for money though?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn I wish my crystal ball would work this well with things like the power ball. I said this would be their response in another thread.

Although unlike the IGO the power ball doesn't come up with the same numbers week after week.

I don't have face book but someone should be sure to remind them of their earlier email about voting this legislation down because they wanted "no compromise legislation".

Edit: I just noticed Aaron also basically told all of the IGO to email their representatives and basically tell them thanks for nothing on voting for suppressors
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#47]
wow
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Did anyone expect anything else from those backstabbing low-down motherfuckers? There's no surprise here at all, they are all in it for the cash at any cost.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got this in my email from NRA-ILA

Iowa: House Passes Bill to Legalize Suppressors in a Strong Bipartisan Vote Today
Contact Senate leadership and urge their support

Today, after a strong show of support from the NRA, Iowa Firearms Coalition (IFC) and American Silencer Association (ASA) members, House File 2381 passed in the Iowa House of Representatives by an overwhelming bipartisan 83-16 vote.  HF 2381, authored by state Representative Matt Windschitl (R-17), would legalize the ownership of firearm sound suppressors, also referred to as "silencers” in Iowa.  Your contact to state lawmakers truly made the difference.

The NRA applauds and thanks those state Representatives who voted for House File 2381.  Every state Representative who voted in favor of this measure deserves your thanks - especially Representative Matt Windschitl (R-17), House Speaker Kraig Paulsen (R-67), Majority Leader Linda Upmeyer (R-54), Representative Chris Hagenow (R-43), and Representative Mark Brandenburg (R-15) for their work on the issue with the NRA, IFC and ASA.

HF 2381 will now be sent to the state Senate where it will await committee assignment and consideration.  This legislation needs your help to get a committee hearing!  Please contact your state Senator and encourage him or her to continue the positive progress of suppressor legalization in Iowa and to support HF 2381.  To find your state Senator, click here.  To reach your state Senator by phone, call the Senate switchboard at (515) 281-3371.

Don't be fooled by other Iowa-based groups claiming to represent gun rights - they once equated this bill to a "cover bill for anti-gunners to hide behind" and are now trying to take credit that belongs to NRA, IFC and ASA members by claiming responsibility for today's success!

There are numerous benefits associated with the use of suppressors.  These benefits include increased accuracy due to reduced recoil and muzzle blast, protection from hearing damage and reduced noise pollution.  Increased use of suppressors will help to eliminate noise complaints, which have been used more frequently as an excuse to close shooting ranges, informal shooting areas and hunting lands throughout the country. HF 2381 is an essential piece of legislation that will help to protect hunters and hunting lands well into the future.

Currently illegal to own under Iowa law, suppressors are legal to own under federal law and in 39 states.  While they do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, suppressors do reduce the muzzle report of the gun much in the same way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a car or truck. It’s time that hunters in Iowa are able to enjoy the same opportunities available to sportsmen in more than half of the country.  For more information on firearms and suppressors, click here.

Contact your state Senator TODAY in support of this important bill!  Please also forward this alert to friends, family, and other Second Amendment supporters in Iowa and encourage them to do the same.

View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top