Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/6/2014 11:46:49 AM EDT
So, since I like doing things the difficult way. I have an 80% AR15 lower and and 80% LAR 308 style lower on order. I was also able to grab a table top mill with my Christmas bonus from work also. If people are interested I would be willing to host a machining party at my place later this year. Anyone up for it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've wanted to make 1-2 up but as I lack the tools and honestly the knowledge I've yet to take the plunge and buy and 80%.

I'm game to try though. I would just have to find 1-2 at a decent price.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
where you located at?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be game if the drive isn't too far.  I'm waiting on one AR15 and one DPMS style 308 lower from rocket hub.  I funded Precision Arms, which is actually delivering.  I sounds like I should expect my 15 lower this month sometime.  The 308 lower may be another month or so after that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the offer.  That sounds like fun.  Keep us updated when you decide on a time and have a general location.

Edit: and date...
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get it together, I'm game.  I'll have to pick up some steel if I'm going to make the trip, too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Also interested in maybe doing a few.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I might could be, you know, depending...
Keep us in the know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
where you located at?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm south of Pella.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm south of Pella.
View Quote

I'm in if one of my receivers has arrived by the allotted time.  Should I bring the pizza?
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#11]
My lowers are probably a month to a month and a half away. I also am still collecting tooling and need to get a vice or two for the mill. Realistically I probably wont have a whole lot of free time until April or after, I just wanted to check interest and give anyone interested time to get a lower.

The mill did show up yesterday and I got it un-crated. It's a little bigger than I figured it would be, the shipping documents say its about 750lbs...

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u619/kert0307/Accurate%20Products/IMAG0599_zps7e43da12.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Neato!
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]
depending on funds, time off, and availability of 80% lowers I may be interested
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you get it together, I'm game.  I'll have to pick up some steel if I'm going to make the trip, too.
View Quote

+1

Not sure if I want to do polymer or not though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone have a set template's on hand for this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Better get some oil on that table. Rust doesn't do much for flatness!
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could be wrong, but the table looks like it is still coated in the grease they coat it with from the factory.

As far as the 80% lowers, I did two from TREnabling recently.  They are both functional, the second turned out much nicer. It was the first time I ever used a mill. I used one of the Harbor Freight mills with DRO's that I installed. The DRO's are worth it. I'm pretty sure these lowers have cost me about $1000 but hey, I proved I could do it.

I would be interested in seeing the right way to do it if you get this going.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I could be wrong, but the table looks like it is still coated in the grease they coat it with from the factory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flatness!
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you're right. The ol smart phone loses again. I failed to zoom in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
depending on funds, time off, and availability of 80% lowers I may be interested
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm south of Pella.
View Quote

I would be interested in osky.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's still covered in red grease/cosmoline of some sort. I just wiped the big stuff off so far. I've got a couple vises and other collets and fun stuff ordered that should be here later in the week. I'm going to get really busy here in a little bit cause I have 3 shows to do in a row, and after that I'll start messing with it a little more. I also have done a little research and it looks like it wouldn't be hard to convert it over to a 3 axis CNC and run it off the software I've already got for my cnc plasma table.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I've go a couple of 0% lower forgings, anyone have a CNC?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's still covered in red grease/cosmoline of some sort. I just wiped the big stuff off so far. I've got a couple vises and other collets and fun stuff ordered that should be here later in the week. I'm going to get really busy here in a little bit cause I have 3 shows to do in a row, and after that I'll start messing with it a little more. I also have done a little research and it looks like it wouldn't be hard to convert it over to a 3 axis CNC and run it off the software I've already got for my cnc plasma table.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are these "shows" that you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Gun shows I have tables at. I make/sell AR500 targets on the side. I have 3 shows coming up in a row and am working on building up my inventory so I don't have to pull all nighters during the week if I do well at the first show or two to re-stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm in and I have the templates/Jig for AR15 as well as diagrams.  I'd be in for this.  I currently have 7 (5 raw and 2 anodized) 80% lowers.

I have never milled anything before so I'd rely on others expertise but my templates/jigs are free to use in exchange.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok, it looks like there is a decent amount of interest. How do these dates work for people?

March 29th
April 19th
May24th
June7th
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I could probably make any of the proposed dates, but I would vote for April 19.  Late May and early June can be tough in my line of work.

I also have an AR15 jig I can bring along.

Thanks for the awesome invite!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm good with April 19th.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm good with April 19th.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:52:02 AM EDT
[#31]
My vote would be April 19th or later.

Now that this looks to be something that is coming together I need to lay my hands on some 80% lowers. Any recommendations?

I kind of like the idea of a built in winter style trigger guard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#32]
We'll put it on April 19th for now.

I'm hoping I can get mine done ahead of time so I can get a process down so that it doesn't take too long for people to run through it. Running even shorter on time now though because my truck died Friday night on the way back from the gun show and it's looking pretty bad. Luckily I have some good friends and I was able to barrow trucks/trailer to get my inventory trailer home after the show and get my truck to a buddy's garage to work on it since mine is full of steel. Plan is to swap the 6.0 for a Cummins right now...  If you want to help with that, truck tear-down starts Feb 7th (skipping the show I was going to go to in Wi.) if I can get caught up on orders by then...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Buy some R8 Collets, vice, end mills, drills and reamers.

You can do it with that mill but without a digital readout it is kind of a bitch.  I do not know what 80% you have but it will take a while, if you need any tools let me know I could potently loan some.

Are you guys coating the receivers or Anodizing?

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#34]
We won't be doing any coatings. The only thing I have experience with is Duracoat, There are some 80% lower companies out there that sell the lower pre-anodized, but then the trigger pocket would still be unprotected.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Any update on this? I know dates were tossed around but I'm getting too old to keep track of this stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Still planning on it happening April 19th, but my 80% lowers still haven't come in yet...

If they aren't here in a couple weeks I may post pone to a later date or just let people IM me to figure out an evening/weekend I will be around to do them when people are available.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#37]
You don't have any of those 2 color polymer receivers that got Ares Armor and EP Armory were selling, do you?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I would be interested. What are the options for getting an 80% lower? I have a good friend that is machinist and may be able to borrow some tooling if you don't have or find what you need. Let me know.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You don't have any of those 2 color polymer receivers that got Ares Armor and EP Armory were selling, do you?
View Quote

No I don't but I have seen some Zombie green with black "remove" areas for sale at the CR shows before :D

I assume you're talking in reference to this?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/15/california-gun-store-refuses-to-turn-over-customer-list-to-federal-officials/?intcmp=trending
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Yup.
I had seen those online and thought it was a pretty nifty way to make sure people that purchased them didn't screw things up.
Apparently, the ATF thinks it's just too easy that way.
Frickin' bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:45:27 AM EDT
[#41]
In for the interest, don't know when I'd be picking up an 80% though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm still trying to figure out the best place to find one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I like the billet look and got a Hellfire one very nice work from them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone going to this get together that has a polymer lower? Just curious
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out the best place to find one.
View Quote

I picked up a nice billet one from tactical machining, I don't see it listed for sale on there currently though.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-receivers.html
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#46]
so to the person running the party, does it matter if its normal or a billet?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#47]
It shouldn't, but if it has a large bevel on the mag well or something that sticks out wider than a normal forged lower we might have to get creative with how it is clamped in the vise.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It shouldn't, but if it has a large bevel on the mag well or something that sticks out wider than a normal forged lower we might have to get creative with how it is clamped in the vise.
View Quote

cue the MacGyver music
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

cue the MacGyver music
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cue the MacGyver music

I'm sure we can do it with a paper clip, a stick of chewing gum, and a 2x4.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cue the MacGyver music

I sure hope you meant 1/2 a stick of chewing gum.... it's my last piece.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top