Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 8:58:53 PM EDT
The wife and kids and I are making a road trip vacation for a couple weeks and plan on spending a few days in the Rapid City area, to take the kids to Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind and Jewel Cave before heading further west.  Is there any need to try local places.  Lots of our meals on the trip will be done at camp sites but since we will be in the area a few days if any locals want to make recommendations it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cason
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Armadillo's Ice Cream
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol. There's a reason the first and only suggestion was ice cream. Dakotans don't know crap about good food. They like to think they do. Rib tips are a decent dish served locally though. Get them plain (marinated) and not deep fried. Whoever thought that deep frying red meat was a good idea should have been shot. And deep fried.

That being said, a few decent restaurants stand out that you might try. Firehouse Brewing in downtown Rapid. If you end up in Custer, the Baker's Bakery and Sage Creek Grille are decent. The Latchstring Restaurant in Spearfish Canyon. The Gas Lamp/Light in Rockerville between Rapid and Hill City. All are family friendly.

And Armadillos is mediocre ice cream at best. Kind of like the Sugar Shack, I could never understand the appeal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Sugar Shack south of Deadwood/Lead
Talley's in Rapid City

Alpine Inn in Hill City

Black Hills Burger and Bun Company in Custer

The Bum Steer in Spearfish

Barbacoa in Spearfish

If you can only do one, German lunch at the Alpine Inn.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol. There's a reason the first and only suggestion was ice cream. Dakotans don't know crap about good food. They like to think they do. Rib tips are a decent dish served locally though. Get them plain (marinated) and not deep fried. Whoever thought that deep frying red meat was a good idea should have been shot. And deep fried.

That being said, a few decent restaurants stand out that you might try. Firehouse Brewing in downtown Rapid. If you end up in Custer, the Baker's Bakery and Sage Creek Grille are decent. The Latchstring Restaurant in Spearfish Canyon. The Gas Lamp/Light in Rockerville between Rapid and Hill City. All are family friendly.

And Armadillos is mediocre ice cream at best. Kind of like the Sugar Shack, I could never understand the appeal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like Coloradans do. I used to live there. No difference in food, just big difference in arrogance.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions, the road trip begins in the morning.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Like Coloradans do. I used to live there. No difference in food, just big difference in arrogance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lived in the Hills for five years before moving down here. You couldn't be more wrong.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Going to the Latchstring for food tells me all I need to know about your food rating ability.
OP make sure to stop as a rest area on I 90 or any gas station and grab a bunch of brochures. That advertising magazine has a ton of coupons and listings of places to get a good steak. The Rapid area has a ton of good places to eat.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lived in the Hills for five years before moving down here. You couldn't be more wrong.
View Quote

Lived in CO for seven years. YOU couldn't be more wrong...
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I lived in Colorado for 5 years, you couldn't be more wrong.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The wife and kids and I are making a road trip vacation for a couple weeks and plan on spending a few days in the Rapid City area, to take the kids to Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind and Jewel Cave before heading further west.  Is there any need to try local places.  Lots of our meals on the trip will be done at camp sites but since we will be in the area a few days if any locals want to make recommendations it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cason
View Quote

Enjoy SD, OP. We spent some time in the hills this summer and had a really nice time. Wind Cave in particular. I don't really remember where we ate, I'm not a foodie, but we had a great time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are adorable. I never said anything about Colorado food...
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you are referring to arrogance? In a HTF that you do not belong to you came in here bad mouthing an entire state, and you want to claim that the people of South Dakota are arrogant. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Out in Rapid City a couple months ago.  I second the Firehouse Brewing Co.  Also Que Pasa on Main street and the Dakotah Steakhouse out near 90...
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Out in Rapid City a couple months ago.  I second the Firehouse Brewing Co.  Also Que Pasa on Main street and the Dakotah Steakhouse out near 90...
View Quote

Ixtapa, one block over and one block up, is far superior Mexican food. It is actually authentic Mexican, not TexMex.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ixtapa, one block over and one block up, is far superior Mexican food. It is actually authentic Mexican, not TexMex.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But the torta at Que Pasa...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sugar Shack south of Deadwood/LeadTalley's in Rapid City
Alpine Inn in Hill City
Black Hills Burger and Bun Company in Custer
The Bum Steer in Spearfish
Barbacoa in Spearfish

If you can only do one, German lunch at the Alpine Inn.
View Quote

I second the Alpine Inn.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Baker's Bakery in Custer is known for gigantic sweets and reasonable prices. Quality is good, not great. I liked the food at Colonial House in Rapid City. Basic, but good quality. After a week of eating junk, it tasted great. The restaurant at Cedar Pass Lodge was also better than expected. Too many flies though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top