Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2015 12:46:01 PM EDT
I am looking for a new range to shoot at.  In the past I have been a member of Dakota bench rest and hunters point.  of the two hunters point was the nicer one but paying a daily fee for the rifle range killed it for me.  

So just wondering if anyone shoots out at Garretson and how you like it.  Can you bring and hang your own steel on the handgun range?  Any trouble with NFA stuff?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a member a long time ago. Heard the rules changed a bunch.

All I really remember was that traffic was pretty low.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been a member there for about five years now.   I really like it!   It is open every day,  you get a magnetic swipe key to get in with a yearly membership.  A range officer doesn't have to be present to shoot there.  I just use paper targets,  so I don't really know about steel targets.   I usually go during the week, so it isn't very busy then.  On weekends there are more shooters there.  I have never seen it overly busy.   You can buy a one day pass for $15.   I would say just go and check it out one day.  I haven't found anyplace better than this around Sioux Falls.   Check out their website:   http://www.garretsonsportsmensclub.com/index.htm        Let me know if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
They have a 200 yard range? Correct?

We shoot Benchresters now, but would like to spend some time out further than 200.

Heard Humbolt is 600.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We shoot Benchresters now, but would like to spend some time out further than 200.

Heard Humbolt is 600.
View Quote

they do go out to 600 but you have to shoot a group at 200.  I don't remember what size it has to be.  It is a very nice place to shoot but cost was just to high for me 15 a day for non members and 10 a day for members but member ships are 100 a year
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

they do go out to 600 but you have to shoot a group at 200.  I don't remember what size it has to be.  It is a very nice place to shoot but cost was just to high for me 15 a day for non members and 10 a day for members but member ships are 100 a year
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heard Humbolt is 600.

Interesting. Wish you could remember what size group they needed at 200. We have no problem keeping shots in a six inch circle with cheap ammo. At some point we will reload and decrease that by a bunch.

Actually, there are plenty of places around here to shoot longer distance on public land, just need to buy some steel. And a range finder. And better glass. And..........
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes,  the Garretson range does have a 200 yard range!

Where around Sioux Falls is there any other ranges, other than Hunters Pointe, that have any ranges past 200 yards?    Ranges that are open to the public, not private.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I dropped Garrettson for the dell rapids range. Mainly because Dells has a nice archery range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes,  the Garretson range does have a 200 yard range!

Where around Sioux Falls is there any other ranges, other than Hunters Pointe, that have any ranges past 200 yards?    Ranges that are open to the public, not private.
View Quote

Benchresters has a spot to shoot 300, but they closed it. I assume because people can't shoot for shit.

Out current idea is to buy some steel and shoot on public land. It would be easier out west, but there are places around here that would work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Supposedly there's a spot up by Brookings that goes all the way out to 1,000. Beacon Hill would probably be able to get you in contact with someone who knows more.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#10]
years back the 153rd Combat Engineers worked on a range at

the Volga area, 700 yards + IIRC. Ran a dump truck on the project.

Wish I could recall more.  

sdshooter..............
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

years back the 153rd Combat Engineers worked on a range at

the Volga area, 700 yards + IIRC. Ran a dump truck on the project.

Wish I could recall more.  

sdshooter..............
View Quote

That's Beacon Hill. 200 yards max, and that's only under certain conditions.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I dropped Garrettson for the dell rapids range. Mainly because Dells has a nice archery range.
View Quote

I'm thinking about switching to Dell Rapids as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I live and shoot in Canton. It's also only 200 yds but it is low traffic and cheap. Only $50 a year, memberships run April-April, and has a range, archery, and trap. Every Wednesday we have steel plate pistol shoots. As long as it's light out you can shoot, membership forms and the key are at Pump and Go Video C-store and the range is two miles east of town.

https://www.facebook.com/SiouxRiverSportsmensClub
http://www.siouxriversportsmen.com/
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live and shoot in Canton. It's also only 200 yds but it is low traffic and cheap. Only $50 a year, memberships run April-April, and has a range, archery, and trap. Every Wednesday we have steel plate pistol shoots. As long as it's light out you can shoot, membership forms and the key are at Pump and Go Video C-store and the range is two miles east of town.

View Quote

That's actually a really good deal. So before using the range just stop at the C-Store to either get the keys or find out if it's open?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's actually a really good deal. So before using the range just stop at the C-Store to either get the keys or find out if it's open?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, if you'd like to stop and check it out let me know. I'm a board member for the club and have my own key.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, if you'd like to stop and check it out let me know. I'm a board member for the club and have my own key.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM Sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top