Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2014 11:07:41 AM EDT
Hello all,

Here soon, I am taking my wife and 8 year old daughter on a vacation to the Black Hills.  I have been to Mt. Rushmore and surroundings twice, and they have not been.  

We are planning to hit Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Bear Country, Reptile Gardens, Cosmos and the Water Slide Park outside of Rapid City.  We will also sight see in Custer State Park.  We sill be staying in Custer.  I am not sure if there will be enough time or funds to hit Wind Cave or the other cave park.  

Are there any current concerns that might put a damper in our plans?  We will be there for 4 nights, coming from Wyoming on a Saturday and leaving Wednesday morning of that week.  Plan to hit Crazy Horse first night, State Park Sunday, and two things each on Monday and Tuesday.  

Thanks for any help, just want to make sure we are not planning for anything that is not a good go at this point, or tornadoes or floods have not destroyed everything.  

Have a good one.

Marcial
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello all,

Here soon, I am taking my wife and 8 year old daughter on a vacation to the Black Hills.  I have been to Mt. Rushmore and surroundings twice, and they have not been.  

We are planning to hit Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Bear Country, Reptile Gardens, Cosmos and the Water Slide Park outside of Rapid City.  We will also sight see in Custer State Park.  We sill be staying in Custer.  I am not sure if there will be enough time or funds to hit Wind Cave or the other cave park.  

Are there any current concerns that might put a damper in our plans?  We will be there for 4 nights, coming from Wyoming on a Saturday and leaving Wednesday morning of that week.  Plan to hit Crazy Horse first night, State Park Sunday, and two things each on Monday and Tuesday.  

Thanks for any help, just want to make sure we are not planning for anything that is not a good go at this point, or tornadoes or floods have not destroyed everything.  

Have a good one.

Marcial
View Quote

When are you doing this?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
July - 12-16.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn't be any problems. Daughter should love the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park. Bear Country, USA is kind of depressing. I would also suggest Needle's Highway, Iron Mountain Road, and Spearfish Canyon for some of the most beautiful driving/scenery you've ever experienced.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello all,

Have a good one.

Marcial
View Quote

1. Keep a close eye on the weather - it's been a wet few years.
2. I think that waterslide park on HWY16 is closed. Try Watiki East of town on I90.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
If everyone's able bodied do the Harney Peak hike from Sylvan lake.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You've got 4 days which should be enough to take in the sights.  I would consider skipping Bear Country and spending more time at Custer State Park, going to Wind Cave, or hiking up Harney Peak.  It's been a while, but I recall Keystone always being fun for the kids and you can catch a ride on the 1880s train.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd check this out:

http://www.rushmoretramwayadventures.com/

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You've got 4 days which should be enough to take in the sights.  I would consider skipping Bear Country and spending more time at Custer State Park, going to Wind Cave, or hiking up Harney Peak.  It's been a while, but I recall Keystone always being fun for the kids and you can catch a ride on the 1880s train.
View Quote

Went through Keystone yesterday. It was packed and the train was running.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys.  I appreciate it all.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#10]
No mention of Wall Drug?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No mention of Wall Drug?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No mention of Wall Drug?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Well,

We got back on Friday night.

We spent two days in Wyoming at my Grandpa's house, then went on to SD on the 12th.  We went to Crazy Horse the first night.  On day 2 we went to Hill City, Deer Field Lake, the Dinosaur Museum there, Cosmos and finally Reptile Gardens with dinner at a mexican joint in Rapid City.  The next day, we went to the Custer State Park Loup, Mt. Rushmore and got some "old Time Photos" done in Keystone.  On Tuesday, we went to Wind Cave National Park and did the Fairgrounds tour, then went to the Mammoth site in Hot Springs.  We went to Flintstone's village on Monday, which really depressing.  On Wednesday we left SD, went to Story Book Island in Rapid City and went to Devil's Tower on our way back to south central Wyoming.

Overall it was a good trip with unseasonably cool weather which was really nice.  We saw lots of bison, some NICE whitetailed deer, elk, antelope and of course prarie dogs.  

I will post pics in time, but the trip was definately worth it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well,

We got back on Friday night.

We spent two days in Wyoming at my Grandpa's house, then went on to SD on the 12th.  We went to Crazy Horse the first night.  On day 2 we went to Hill City, Deer Field Lake, the Dinosaur Museum there, Cosmos and finally Reptile Gardens with dinner at a mexican joint in Rapid City.  The next day, we went to the Custer State Park Loup, Mt. Rushmore and got some "old Time Photos" done in Keystone.  On Tuesday, we went to Wind Cave National Park and did the Fairgrounds tour, then went to the Mammoth site in Hot Springs.  We went to Flintstone's village on Monday, which really depressing.  On Wednesday we left SD, went to Story Book Island in Rapid City and went to Devil's Tower on our way back to south central Wyoming.

Overall it was a good trip with unseasonably cool weather which was really nice.  We saw lots of bison, some NICE whitetailed deer, elk, antelope and of course prarie dogs.  

I will post pics in time, but the trip was definately worth it.
View Quote

Sounds like a great trip!

100 degrees in Rapid today
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I climbed the North side of Harney on Tuesday. God I hate living eastriver......

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fantastic. I need to do the North trail soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The North Trail and the Lost Cabin Trail are both great routes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The North Trail and the Lost Cabin Trail are both great routes.
View All Quotes

If you want a workout without a lot of tourists, do Horsethief Trail. Go to the trail head and hike into the trail till you come out at Mt Rushmore and hike back. Not a lot of traffic, moderately hard and varied scenery.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you want a workout without a lot of tourists, do Horsethief Trail. Go to the trail head and hike into the trail till you come out at Mt Rushmore and hike back. Not a lot of traffic, moderately hard and varied scenery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's a good idea. I usually take the popular trails early in the morning to avoid the tourists.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Get back where ya belong!! Ya Bum!!

:-P
View All Quotes

One more year of school......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top