Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 8:52:41 AM EDT
Hello my fellow gun owners. I would like to come to South Dakota this summer to hunt prairie dogs. I am coming in from Ohio and don’t know anyone in SD. Could you please give me some advice on how to make this a successful hunt? I would appreciate any advice you could offer.
I attempted this in the Nebraska forum, as I had heard there is great prairie dog hunting there too. However, the Nebraska folks said finding land owners to allow hunting in their state is difficult. Nebraska HTF members said they travel to SD to hunt prairie dogs.
If anyone has any suggestions on where to hunt, how to make contacts in the area, what to bring, what to avoid, etc., I would appreciate it. I plan on brining a LMT with 4-12 Vortex, Savage .22/250, Savage .17hmr, Ruger 10/22, and maybe a long range custom gun.
Like I said, never been before so any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks Chris

Mods. You can delete this post if needed. I just saw the thread covering many of my questions. I beg forgiveness for posting first and reading second.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard...be about my luck to get nailed in the face by one
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
avoid laying on the ground in a dog town.

View Quote

Little green pellets never hurt nobody, those little cactus on the other hand...bring a shooting pad or thick quilt.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Fishing pole, 20lb test, and a snap swivel.

Make noose around hole with the swivel and the line.

Let line out as you back away.

Wait for the dog to stick his head up, yank on it like you are setting the hook in a largmouth and reel like a motherfucker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top