Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2014 12:11:33 AM EDT
Not sure how many on here watch the legislative session that's going on right now. Currently state law doesn't allow the use of night vision equipment for hunting coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and other varmints. If you know your local legislators reach out to them soon and ask them to support an amendment to Senate Bill 104, or House Bill 1102 adding the ability to use night vision for night hunting!

Also, urge them to amend the law from only allowing .22 rimfire calibers to be used at night. My suggested language would be to allow a firearm using ammunition factory-rated to produce less than 1,750 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. This would allow all .17 calibers, all. 22 calibers, .204, .222, .223, 22-250, and 220 swift.

Senate Bill 104 goes to the Senate Ag committee on the 4th.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Not sure how many on here watch the legislative session that's going on right now. Currently state law doesn't allow the use of night vision equipment for hunting coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and other varmints. If you know your local legislators reach out to them soon and ask them to support an amendment to Senate Bill 104, or House Bill 1102 adding the ability to use night vision for night hunting!

Also, urge them to amend the law from only allowing .22 rimfire calibers to be used at night. My suggested language would be to allow a firearm using ammunition factory-rated to produce less than 1,750 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. This would allow all .17 calibers, all. 22 calibers, .204, .222, .223, 22-250, and 220 swift.

Senate Bill 104 goes to the Senate Ag committee on the 4th.
View Quote

Good God I need to move to SD.....

Please know how good you guys have it and FIGHT to keep it that way!
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I emailed my reps.  All are in support.  I also suggested allowing the use of centerfire rifles up to and including .22 caliber.  Hoping this makes it through.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to Pierre today for SB 104 in Senate AG committee, i even got to testify in favor of the bill. It was amended to allow night vision use and to use firearms that produce under 1,750lbs energy at the muzzle. The bill was deferred until the bill language could be modified, some didn't like the 1,750lbs energy terminology. There is still a long road ahead to getting this passed, but with support it can be done!
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to Pierre today for SB 104 in Senate AG committee, i even got to testify in favor of the bill. It was amended to allow night vision use and to use firearms that produce under 1,750lbs energy at the muzzle. The bill was deferred until the bill language could be modified, some didn't like the 1,750lbs energy terminology. There is still a long road ahead to getting this passed, but with support it can be done!
View Quote

Seems like  using 1750 ft lbs makes things a little complicated.  Allowing centerfire rifles up to and including .22 cal would seem to me to be a simpler solution.  What impressions did you come away with after testifying?  Is there significant support for this bill?
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
GFP didn't know how they would enforce 1750 ft lbs of energy, even though the current law on deer hunting says you must use a firearm that produces at least 1000 ft lbs of energy. We used that language because it's already used. They suggested if we had it changed to anything smaller than a .223 they would like it better. No one seemed to disagree with Night Vision. Even GFP testified that it is used by their current officers for depredation hunts and works better than spotlights.

It was discussed that under current law, you can hunt at night with no lights, under moonlight, with any caliber you wish. Someone suggested maybe we should have any caliber for night vision.

There seemed to be enough support to get it through committee if we rewrite it, I believe the sponsoring senator and the GFP were going to work on it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, that's just great. No wonder I never have any money.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
GFP didn't know how they would enforce 1750 ft lbs of energy, even though the current law on deer hunting says you must use a firearm that produces at least 1000 ft lbs of energy. We used that language because it's already used. They suggested if we had it changed to anything smaller than a .223 they would like it better. No one seemed to disagree with Night Vision. Even GFP testified that it is used by their current officers for depredation hunts and works better than spotlights.

It was discussed that under current law, you can hunt at night with no lights, under moonlight, with any caliber you wish. Someone suggested maybe we should have any caliber for night vision.

There seemed to be enough support to get it through committee if we rewrite it, I believe the sponsoring senator and the GFP were going to work on it.
View Quote

Thanks for the update, and being there to testify!  My reps are for it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]
SB 104 passed committee today. The bill was amended, it will now allow any rimfire cartridge, which opens it up from .22 rimfire only. There wasn't enough support for centerfire cartridges. Now it goes to the Senate floor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SB 104 passed committee today. The bill was amended, it will now allow any rimfire cartridge, which opens it up from .22 rimfire only. There wasn't enough support for centerfire cartridges. Now it goes to the Senate floor.
View Quote

So .17 hmr? Does that even have enough ass behind it to shoot coyotes?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If the wind isn't blowing it's better than a .22LR, under current law you can only use .22 rimfire.

Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If the wind isn't blowing it's better than a .22LR, under current law you can only use .22 rimfire.

View Quote

Including .22 magnum, correct? Which, btw, they have a bad ass Magnum Research .22 mag semi for sale used at Scheels right now. $600 but it is sweet!

We have spent a lot of time trying to kill those dogs under a full moon with snow cover. Tough.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
That was actually brought up in committee, you can use any caliber of your choosing under full moon light and snow cover as long as you don't have artificial light with you. Seems less safe than having night vision!
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That was actually brought up in committee, you can use any caliber of your choosing under full moon light and snow cover as long as you don't have artificial light with you. Seems less safe than having night vision!
View Quote

Yeah that's pretty stupid.  How did they justify this amendment?
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#14]
It takes a very particular set of circumstances to make that pay off. When conditions are right you can see very well with decent glass. As far as safety it's one of those responsibility things. Lack of judgment and discretion make it a deal breaker.

Look around a bit and you can find some young guys over in Minnesota that have had fantastic luck using this method. Actually, it's not luck. They are predator hunters of the first order and have worked hard to make it happen.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They brought up that it's currently legal to do so, it wasn't an amendment.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 2:15:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean the rim fire only bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Landowner or occupant and one guest may use shotshells or .22 rimfire with artificial light. Slugs would be a no.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
it passed the senate today, 33-0
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#20]
That's gonna cost me some money.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 3:25:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought it was always rimfire and/or shotgun?
are buckshot  and slugs not permitted on your own land with a light ?
View Quote

The way I understand it, the bill to allow night vision and artificial lighting was initially crafted to allow smaller centerfire calibers as well, but was later amended to rimfire and shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
House committe voted to table to the 41st day.   Seems its dead in the water at the house. .

HB-1102: Authorize the use of artificial light to hunt coyotes under certain conditions.
Sponsors: Representatives Kaiser, Bolin, Cammack, Campbell, Craig, Cronin, Duvall, Erickson, Feickert, Gibson, Gosch, Greenfield, Haggar (Don), Hagger (Jenna), Hawks, Heinemann (Leslie), Hickey, Hoffman, Johns, Kopp, Langer, Latterell, Lust, May, Nelson, Novstrup (David), Olson (Betty), Qualm, Rasmussen, Ring, Rounds, Russell, Schaefer, Schoenfish, Schrempp, Sly, Soli, Stalzer, Stelle, Stevens, Tulson, Tyler, and Verchio, and Senators Jensen, Begalka, Lucas, Maher, Monroe, and Otten (Ernie).
? Jan. 24: Printed. http://legis.sd.gov/docs/legsession/2014/Bills/HB1102P.pdf
? Jan. 24: First read in House and referred to Ag & Natural
? Feb. 6: Scheduled for committee meeting at 7:45am Amended http://legis.sd.gov/Legislative_Session/Bills/Amendment.aspx?Amend=amd1102ta.htm&Session=2014

Deferred to 41st Legislative Day, yeas 8-nays 5
http://gfp.sd.gov/agency/information/legislative-update.pdf

Bill Text
http://legiscan.com/SD/text/HB1102/id/937433

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:18:40 AM EDT
[#23]
There were 2 coyote hunting bills, SB 104 which will allow night vision is still going. Should be in House Ag committe next thursday at the earliest.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The way I understand it, the bill to allow night vision and artificial lighting was initially crafted to allow smaller centerfire calibers as well, but was later amended to rimfire and shotguns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current law reads .22 rimfire and shotguns with shot shells. We tried for allowing smaller centerfire calibers which are common for coyote hunting, but there wasn't enough support. Everyone was fearful of people shooting high power in the dark. We tried to explain trajectories. We amended the bill to strike out  .22, so any rimfire will be allowed. This will open it up to .17 calibers.

Im not sure if buckshot would be allowed, but i'm sure slugs aren't legal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a landowner, you can only hunt at night with artificial light with a rimfire or shotgun.  The way it is worded is that no nightvision or artificial light may be used unless you meet those prerequisites, does this mean you cannot hunt with nightvision as a land owner even if you are using a rimfire or shotgun?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Update for ya, today this bill was in the House Ag committee, GFP tried to amend the bill to only allow the use of night vision from January to August, however their ammendment failed 6-6.

It will go to the house floor for debate, maybe as early as tomorrow. If you have a chance email your local House of Representatives and ask for support! If we get it passed the house we will just need to hope the governor will sign it into law!

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Bill passed the house 62-8 today. Now if we get the governor's signature we can shoot some coyotes!

Edited for a proper vote count.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#28]
We did it! The governor signed the bill today! Now we have to wait until July 1 for it to take effect. Time for everyone to order a pvs14!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Do you have a link to what was actually passed? Can we now use artificial light? Night vision or hand held?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
http://legis.sd.gov/Legislative_Session/Bills/Bill.aspx?File=SB104ENR.htm&Session=2014
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#31]
So its still landowner/occupant and one guest on private land. Hmmmmm. Good luck. Post pictures.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
For us town folks who are not so good with the law:

Can I shoot 'yotes on public land under this (or exsisting) law?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Night hunting on public land is not legal with spotlights or night vision. I don't imagine it ever will be, there are some pretty serious safety concerns with that. There could potentially be numerous hunters out in the dark, not a great idea!

Meet the farmers and ranchers in your area, someone will let you hunt if you have the gear, especially if they have predator problems.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Night hunting on public land is not legal with spotlights or night vision. I don't imagine it ever will be, there are some pretty serious safety concerns with that. There could potentially be numerous hunters out in the dark, not a great idea!

Meet the farmers and ranchers in your area, someone will let you hunt if you have the gear, especially if they have predator problems.
View Quote

"Landowner or occupant AND one guest". That reads to me that just getting permission to hunt private land is a no go. The landowner or occupant needs to be with you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Well? Anybody kill any coyotes with NV yet? Now that deer season is over we will start calling.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Well? Anybody kill any coyotes with NV yet? Now that deer season is over we will start calling.

View Quote

If I had NV and it wasn't so blasted cold I'd be working on it. In-laws have some that are getting way too close to their chickens.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If I had NV and it wasn't so blasted cold I'd be working on it. In-laws have some that are getting way too close to their chickens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where at?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top