Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2013 11:46:39 AM EDT
Is there any gunsmiths around Sioux Falls that do Cerakote applications or a similar type finish?  My 12 year old Win. SX2 has some worn finish to the point those areas rust any time it's wet; which lately means every time I go duck hunting.  I've done Duracoat on an 870 but was looking for something more professional and hopefully more durable on this gun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of anyone unfortunately.

This is all I've found:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resource/locator/
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I swear there's somebody in SF that does some type of coating. For the life of me I can't remember the name.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I would definitely be interested in this as well.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
gary's sends their finishing jobs down to someplace in iowa. its about $200 for a long gun to be cera coated. i was getting a mauser build done by them but went with hot bluing instead. whatever company did it it looks great.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
A guy named Jon Jackson was doing DuraCoat in SF. He did an XD slide for me, it looks perfect like factory finish. He works at CitiBank.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I was gonna start when I moved here but pushed off smithing and transfers to focus on my full time career and school.  Gonna be a while before I get another compressor and paint booth.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a friend in Aberdeen that does duracoating...
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Dynamic Armaments in Spirit Lake, Iowa..........Brian Forney is his name.  Does great work and is up for pretty much any design ideas you can throw at him.   Not close to SF, I know, but just another option.

https://www.facebook.com/DynamicArmaments
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Dynamic Armaments in Spirit Lake, Iowa..........Brian Forney is his name.  Does great work and is up for pretty much any design ideas you can throw at him.   Not close to SF, I know, but just another option.

https://www.facebook.com/DynamicArmaments
View Quote

I don't do facebook, but here's their website:

Dynamic Armaments

Thanks for the reference, I'll check them out a bit more. Spirit Lake is only an hour and a half from SF, which is reasonably close for anything in the vastness that is the midwest. lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
This fellow in central Iowa does good work.  He did some parts for me for a custom made set of flip up sights and a free floating quad rail that I machined.

http://controlledchaosarms.com/
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Im on the west end of the state near Wall, but I do it over here. You would still have to ship it but  I have a FFL so you could ship it here and I can ship it strait back to you. I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:04:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Trigger Treat Sioux Falls Cerakote

I'll be taking my 11-87 over to him after the holidays for a makeover.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Just heard about Trigger Treat.  Post up picks and a review when yours is done!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im on the west end of the state near Wall, but I do it over here. You would still have to ship it but  I have a FFL so you could ship it here and I can ship it strait back to you. I just thought I'd throw it out there.
View Quote

And he does a damn fine job as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Brad at Trigger Treat did a good job on my 11-87. Cerakote "Patriot Brown", pardon my sub-par photography skills!

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Where is this shop?  Does he do it full time or part?    Looks like he does a good job.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#18]
He does it out of his house in SF & is a legit FFL. I did the disassembly & reassembly and told him I was in no rush to get it back. I dropped it off Thursday afternoon and picked it up Sat evening.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Almost the exact color I'm thinking of going with for my SX2.  Great pictures.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Can anyone tell me if this would take care of rust on a barrel? would there be an issue of the rust coming back?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me if this would take care of rust on a barrel? would there be an issue of the rust coming back?
View Quote

The cerakote will not rust. That's why I had my 11-87 done. I had bought it used for a heck of a price but it had a little bit of surface rust on the exterior. It's run like a champ for 2 seasons of bird hunting and now it looks great too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm looking at a rifle for cheap and its got a little surface rust. thinking of grabbing it and redoing it. Cool.

Never had a gun rust on me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry to hack the thread here.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#25]
If done properly, the rust would be blasted away via Alum.Ox., barrel degrease / prepped, coated & cured. This would stop any further rusting. We do a fair amount of here at my shop any more, I have had guns come in that literally had bad brown /red rough rust on them. With proper prep you can do a lot with Cerakote, however it is only around .001 thick so pitting and bad rust spots will not be filled. Ive seen a couple guns cerakoted to add a good base finish to prevent rust and then the customer would rattle can it to what ever color scheme they like. It filled thed rusty pitted spots with the thicker paint and with alittle break cleaner it can be removed and changed up to a new color/ design without hurting the cerakote base coat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top