Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Prairie Dog Shooting (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you've already talked to the owner and he says there are a lot of dogs, then it will really just depend on how many people actually shoot there.  Pups are out in May which is always good.  My biggest problem is that out of the 20 or so ranchers my Dad talked to 5-10 years ago, only 4 or 5 haven't completely poisoned them all off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got back from Winner and Murdo area's. Dogs are shit right now, no pups, only last yrs survivors who are wise. I'd give it minimum a week, two would be best, pups should start popping then.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Heading out to ND next week for work and will be spending a day hunting.  Hoping the pups will be out basking in the sun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2013 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My group arrived in SD 2 days ago and have had to sit back and watch it rain the whole time.  It's looking like we ought to have some sun and shooting tomorrow, so life is good.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Headed back to lovely Mid MO as I type.  Hunting was OK in northern SD.  Didn't seem like the pups were out in full force just yet.  Lots of long distance high wind shots, so our kills were down.  Either way, beautiful country and we had a great time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I got my first chance to shoot at some dogs today.  We had 5 guys and it was non stop shooting for 2 hours.  Then there were just two of us and we spent another 2 hours shooting.  We killed a pile in 4 hours and didn't even make a dent in them.  Pups were out and the adults weren't skittish at all.  Glad I made the drive out to do it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
I got my first chance to shoot at some dogs today.  We had 5 guys and it was non stop shooting for 2 hours.  Then there were just two of us and we spent another 2 hours shooting.  We killed a pile in 4 hours and didn't even make a dent in them.  Pups were out and the adults weren't skittish at all.  Glad I made the drive out to do it.

I hate you.  

Where were you shooting?
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I was on some private property near Porcupine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#9]
We returned from hunting on the rez, Rosebud. It was awful, the guide took us to over shot ground, was over priced. We stayed at Carlas in Wood, again big mistake.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
How's 2014 forecast looking. Heard the plague was bad in 2013. Want to plan a trip but may hold off if it's dead excuse the pun
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lakemoor:
How's 2014 forecast looking. Heard the plague was bad in 2013. Want to plan a trip but may hold off if it's dead excuse the pun
View Quote

I'll be out in May, not many towns left compared to when I first starting shooting out there more than a decade ago...
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently moved to eastern South Dakota and I'm looking for info on prairie dog hunting this year. I am willing to pay for a reasonably priced guide or pay to use private land. If anyone has any info they could share it would be great. My original plan was to try the national grasslands but it seems like there might not be many prairie dogs left in those areas?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Trkle:
I recently moved to eastern South Dakota and I'm looking for info on prairie dog hunting this year. I am willing to pay for a reasonably priced guide or pay to use private land. If anyone has any info they could share it would be great. My original plan was to try the national grasslands but it seems like there might not be many prairie dogs left in those areas?
View Quote

If you're new, google Rosebud, get yourself a mandatory guide you feel comfortable with and they will show you the ropes. Won't be cheap but I learned a lot that first season. Your  next trip/s you'll have to make some local contacts on your own. No one is gonna give out there favorite spots, Talk at the gas stations, buy a couple guys some beers, network. You'll find some spots.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By zlman:

If you're new, google Rosebud, get yourself a mandatory guide you feel comfortable with and they will show you the ropes. Won't be cheap but I learned a lot that first season. Your  next trip/s you'll have to make some local contacts on your own. No one is gonna give out there favorite spots, Talk at the gas stations, buy a couple guys some beers, network. You'll find some spots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trkle:

Thanks for the response. That is in line with about everything I have read. I wouldn't expect anyone to out their favorite spot, I was looking for whether most people hire a guide/use private land or if people still have luck on public land. Sounds like my best bet is to start talking to guides and find one that sounds knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I was looking to do some prairie dog hunting this summer in SD. I was thinking June does that sound like the best time to go or should it be later in the season?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Always had good luck in June, late July-Aug, gets too damn hot. Earlier is definitely better, good luck!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Booked a hunt with Jim's river guide service for July, hopefully it will turn out good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got back from a 2 day hunt with jims river guide service. We hunted within an hour of ft pierre. All I can say is it was awesome. The owner willie, guided us personally both days. We shot from around 9 to 3 everyday  and were exhausted at the end of each day. Tons of prairie dogs at both spots. He has a lot of private ranches he hunts on and rotates them so they are not overshot. Shot around 1200 rnds of 223. Longest shot was 671 yds. Most of the dogs were between 300 and 500 yds. We are planning on making this a yearly trip. The cost is a little more than others but it includes hotel and an awesome meal. I highly recomend him.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By estwing223:
Just got back from a 2 day hunt with jims river guide service. We hunted within an hour of ft pierre. All I can say is it was awesome. The owner willie, guided us personally both days. We shot from around 9 to 3 everyday  and were exhausted at the end of each day. Tons of prairie dogs at both spots. He has a lot of private ranches he hunts on and rotates them so they are not overshot. Shot around 1200 rnds of 223. Longest shot was 671 yds. Most of the dogs were between 300 and 500 yds. We are planning on making this a yearly trip. The cost is a little more than others but it includes hotel and an awesome meal. I highly recomend him.
View Quote

Glad you had a great trip!!

$440/day/hunter is WAY out of my league but we all start somewhere. Just for reference, my last trip in May ran me $500 for 4 days shooting. Hotel. Gas. Food.

Hopefully you made some contacts to follow up on for next yr.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:17:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Fairfax SD....

Are there a lot of privately owned farms/ranches near Fairfax where one could get on some 'dogs by knocking on doors?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
Fairfax SD....

Are there a lot of privately owned farms/ranches near Fairfax where one could get on some 'dogs by knocking on doors?
View Quote

As you drive the land you'll see the p-dog mounds and know where they are or aren't. Now finding an owner that will let you on their land, that's a whole nother deal. You could try calling some local businesses, bars, gas stations, hotels, to try and get some leads on land owners, might get lucky.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#23]
This just showed back up in my feed. Never did hunt SD, hooked up with a guy in Wyoming who offered up his 4000 plus acres to hunt, has become a good friend, have gone out there 3 times now.

Video from last years hunt, don't mind my maniacal laugh at the end, saw the whole thing thru my scope at 10x.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#24]
As you drive the land you'll see the p-dog mounds and know where they are or aren't. Now finding an owner that will let you on their land, that's a whole nother deal. You could try calling some local businesses, bars, gas stations, hotels, to try and get some leads on land owners, might get lucky.
View Quote

Yes, I think that's probably my only option.
Trouble is... There's a chance I could travel all that way and never actually locate a site and secure permission within my time constraints. Ideally I'd like to arrange/secure a place in advance.

My last trip ended in severe disappoint.
Me and two buddies booked "guided" shoot in Colorado in May. Two of us has been to the same place in August 2014 and had a great shoot.
We packed up my truck and had made it to Des Moines Iowa when our outfitter called... 'Had to cancel on us due to the biblical weather in his area.... Flooding, tornados.... snow.. The highway to his place was closed so we couldn't even get there if we tried.

Long sad drive home...

'Would do a paid shoot again,  but outfitters pricing seems to have skyrocketed and these days my poor Canadian dollar is only worth about 65 cents US.

yeah.... pity party for Girlieman

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#25]
How the dogs lookin' this season. I know here in MN the weather has been beautiful, hopefully the same in SD and has the dogs movin'.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I have not been out yet but the season should be good considering all the food source they had last year. Couple months ago driving down HWY 44 on a nice day they were thick all over. See a coyote almost every time I drove that stretch in broad daylight. Right now it has been hot and dry the last few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:44:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Weasel_Master] [#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I hunted in the bloom basin north of the badlands for ten years. Haven’t been there since 2009 and the feds shut down several areas in that stretch for the ferrets.   Are there any prairie dogs left in that area?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: meltdown] [#29]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked Prairie Dog Shooting (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top