Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 10:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: meltdown]
Link Posted: 4/28/2007 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
When in Sturgis can you carry with a valid permit?
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Sturgis is not tribal, but you MUST have a valid CCW permit from SD or your state. You can NOT carry openly on a motorcycle in SD.

SD accepts all other states permits or has reciprocity with them. go to packing.org for more info.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:48:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: meltdown] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By meltdown:
you are good to go in SD off the reservations.
MN isn't listed in reciprocity becuase the don't honor SD permits in MN

When I took my MN class, I added a Utah permit for a small fee and it added a bunch of states. If you get a Utah permit it is good in MN

It looks like packing.org is down for now

This one works www.handgunlaw.us/

Link Posted: 3/31/2008 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Same here. I already had my SD permit, and then I took the MN+UT course in MN, and it gave me like 33 states. Almost all the states I care to visit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Cheyenne river sioux and the portion of the standing rock sioux tribe that is in SD both recognize a SD state CCW permit.  The others i dont know.

SW
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SiliconWolverine:
Cheyenne river sioux and the portion of the standing rock sioux tribe that is in SD both recognize a SD state CCW permit.  The others i dont know.

SW

heh, id like to see them rationalize only accepting the easiest CCW in the nation to get..
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I can tell it looks like South Dakota honors a Minnesota carry permit. Is anybody familiar with the differences in the regulations between Minnesota and South Dakota? I have "heard" that one cannot carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a permit and that the "normal" carry permit does not qualify. I know that carrying in a bar or restaurant that gets more than 50% of sales from alcohol is a no no. Anything else that might be different? I want to be reasonably sure of the differences before I carry in South Dakota.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 2bsss:
From what I can tell it looks like South Dakota honors a Minnesota carry permit. Is anybody familiar with the differences in the regulations between Minnesota and South Dakota? I have "heard" that one cannot carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a permit and that the "normal" carry permit does not qualify. I know that carrying in a bar or restaurant that gets more than 50% of sales from alcohol is a no no. Anything else that might be different? I want to be reasonably sure of the differences before I carry in South Dakota.

Once again, http://handgunlaw.us is your travelling friend.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You may not carry a LOADED concealed pistol in a vehicle. SD honors the carry permits of every state.  SD carry laws are pretty lax.  No carrying in bars, as you said, along with K-12 schools, court houses, liquor stores.  Businesses may not prohibit concealed carry, but can ask you to leave IF they discover you're carrying.  Open carry is legal.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
You may not carry a LOADED concealed pistol in a vehicle.

Is the above true even for permit holders?

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
You may not carry a LOADED concealed pistol in a vehicle.

Is the above true even for permit holders?

No.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, should have clarified.  No permit=you may carry a loaded UNCONCEALED pistol in your vehicle, but really, why?  SD honors all other states' permits.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I will be in SD in the Brandon area for some business. I have a NY and Non-resident Fl permit.
I read up a little and I look GTG. Any issues at bars and restaurants though?
I know we are hitting a few different places for dinner and booze will be consumed in light quantity by myself, heavy by others more then likely.
Leave it in the hotel or GTG at these places?
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Intimdtr77:
I will be in SD in the Brandon area for some business. I have a NY and Non-resident Fl permit.
I know we are hitting a few different places for dinner and booze will be consumed in light quantity by myself, heavy by others more then likely.

Leave it in the hotel. Link
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Intimdtr77:

Leave it in the hotel. Link

Crap.  
I really don't want to leave it in the room.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
What is the legality of carrying on private property when they have it posted no firearms? - In South Dakota of course
For instance, I go to a private institution in South Dakota that states that you cannot have weapons on campus, what is the legality of carrying concealed on this campus?
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#18]
That posting carries no weight.  Only the SD legislature may regulate firearms.  As stated, if they discover you are carrying, they may ask you to leave.  If you don't, you may be arrested for "Refusing to Leave After Notice" SDCL 22-35-6, a Class 1 misdemeanor.  Or, as they say, concealed means concealed.

Originally Posted By mdulitz:

What is the legality of carrying on private property when they have it posted no firearms? - In South Dakota of course

For instance, I go to a private institution in South Dakota that states that you cannot have weapons on campus, what is the legality of carrying concealed on this campus?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#19]
If I want to OC in ND, it requires a permit?
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Can someone give me some clarity on prohibited locations in ND?

"State law prohibits firearms and dangerous weapons (concealed or otherwise) in liquor

establishments, gaming sites and at any public gathering, including: sporting

events, schools or school functions, churches or church functions, political rallies or

functions, musical concerts, publicly owned or operated buildings, and publicly

owned parks where hunting is not allowed (N.D.C.C. §§62.1-02-04 and 62.1-02-05)."

Isn't every place where people are a public gathering? (i.e. mall, target, wal-mart, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/18/2011 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By EGI_Tactical:
If I want to OC in ND, it requires a permit?

Last I looked at ND century code: NO, but you may only open-carry during daylight hours... I could be wrong/out of date, however.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Does having a ccw allow you to bypass the NICS check?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Stangfan94:
Does having a ccw allow you to bypass the NICS check?

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread will have to update with the new Enhanced Permit info... It seems odd to me that the price of the permit is soo much more in comparison to the standard.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gifters:
This thread will have to update with the new Enhanced Permit info... It seems odd to me that the price of the permit is soo much more in comparison to the standard.
View Quote

Link at the top has info, just not enough. There are more requirements to get it, along with the higher fee. But why would anyone want it? They don't seem to cover that part.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By adversor:

Link at the top has info, just not enough. There are more requirements to get it, along with the higher fee. But why would anyone want it? They don't seem to cover that part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It covers MN. I'd never heard of the tribal stuff before, and I can't find any reference to it on the state's website.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

At this point MN is the biggest thing we know. After the 23rd I'll know more, I'm taking the Enhanced Instructor course.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By wally247:

At this point MN is the biggest thing we know. After the 23rd I'll know more, I'm taking the Enhanced Instructor course.
View All Quotes

$90 for MN. I figured we'd get more states. How new is this?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

I think we will, in the future if not right away. The shooting requirement should open up quite a few states, it's just that so far South Dakota hasn't made any big announcements. As far as I know South Dakota didn't say anything about Minnesota, it was MN that told us they would accept our enhanced permit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a question about buying a pistol in South Dakota. I'm a New York resident with a NY pistol license. I own a house in South Dakota and NY. I spend half my time in SD and half in NY. Can I legally purchase a pistol in SD?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ajoe59:
I have a question about buying a pistol in South Dakota. I'm a New York resident with a NY pistol license. I own a house in South Dakota and NY. I spend half my time in SD and half in NY. Can I legally purchase a pistol in SD?
View Quote
What state is your license/ID out of?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:31:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ajoe59] [#33]

What state is your license/ID out of?
View Quote
My pistol license and ID is NY. I could buy it in NY and just bring it, but i want to leave it in SD. In NY, it goes on the back of my license and god forbid they check and the pistol isn't in my safe in NY. You guys in SD are probably shaking your heads totally confused, but NY pistol licenses are insane.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#34]

My pistol license and ID is NY. I could buy it in NY and just bring it, but i want to leave it in SD. In NY, it goes on the back of my license and god forbid they check and the pistol isn't in my safe in NY. You guys in SD are probably shaking your heads totally confused, but NY pistol licenses are insane.
View Quote
Then I would say, no, you cannot buy a pistol in SD. I know you can buy a pistol out of state and have it shipped to an FFL in your home state, but that would defeat your purpose. You can't even legally do a private party purchase in SD.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I am currently waiting for my FFL to arrive. From the interview I completed with the ATF the way it works is that the FFL selling you the firearm needs to comply with both States laws. IE, If New York has their own Database to call in/check then the dealer has to do that also. So even if you found a dealer to sell you one it would still be reported/checked as if you bought in NY. I am guessing that means on your license also.

If you are in SD long enough to be considered a resident I would suggest getting a SD license...
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks to both of you for the quick reply. I think it will just be easier for me to buy what I want in NY and have it put on my license. I don't want to transfer my permanent residency to SD just yet because I would have to turn in my NY pistol permit. A couple of more years and I'm outta NY. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:17:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kit_Karson] [#37]
The other thing that just came to mind... If you purchased via private sale in SD you wouldn't need a NICS check... so that wouldn't violate any laws Federally or in SD. However I am not sure about NY. If you carried it to NY I am guessing that would be illegal...

ETA:
Doing some more reading.. no lawyer here, but it appears that you could do a private party under SDCL 22-14-16:
22-14-16.   Providing firearm to person with known prior violent crime conviction--Felony. Any person who knows that another person is prohibited by  22-14-15 or 22-14-15.1 from possessing a firearm, and who knowingly gives, loans, or sells a firearm to that person is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

so as long as you are clear from 22-14-15 (Possession of firearm by one with prior violent crime conviction or certain drug-related conviction--Felony--Fifteen-year period.) and 22-14-15.1 (Possession of firearm by one with prior drug conviction--Felony--Exception.) it appears to me by SD law you are ok.

The one that might get you is NY Penal Law 400.00(9) which apparently requires you to have your license amended whenever a gun is acquired... doesn't seem to matter where. So you would most likely be in violation of that one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kit_Karson:
The other thing that just came to mind... If you purchased via private sale in SD you wouldn't need a NICS check... so that wouldn't violate any laws Federally or in SD. However I am not sure about NY. If you carried it to NY I am guessing that would be illegal...

ETA:
Doing some more reading.. no lawyer here, but it appears that you could do a private party under SDCL 22-14-16:
22-14-16.   Providing firearm to person with known prior violent crime conviction--Felony. Any person who knows that another person is prohibited by  22-14-15 or 22-14-15.1 from possessing a firearm, and who knowingly gives, loans, or sells a firearm to that person is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

so as long as you are clear from 22-14-15 (Possession of firearm by one with prior violent crime conviction or certain drug-related conviction--Felony--Fifteen-year period.) and 22-14-15.1 (Possession of firearm by one with prior drug conviction--Felony--Exception.) it appears to me by SD law you are ok.

The one that might get you is NY Penal Law 400.00(9) which apparently requires you to have your license amended whenever a gun is acquired... doesn't seem to matter where. So you would most likely be in violation of that one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, NY will look for anyway to screw me out of my A2 rights. Those 2 years can't come fast enough.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 7:42:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pokey074] [#40]
It was my understanding that according to federal law, you may only purchase a handgun in your state of residence, even from a private party.

Edit: interesting.

May a person who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a firearm in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not alone qualify the person to purchase a firearm in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/may-person-who-resides-one-state-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I never checked the Federal law I guess.. but this case certainly appears to fall into that category. Of course, not sure how you prove it (without an ID) unless you have some mail or something. I wonder if you can get a SD State Identification (not drivers license) without being a resident...
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Kit_Karson:
I never checked the Federal law I guess.. but this case certainly appears to fall into that category. Of course, not sure how you prove it (without an ID) unless you have some mail or something. I wonder if you can get a SD State Identification (not drivers license) without being a resident...
View Quote
Yeah, good luck finding a dealer who will sell you a handgun on your NY ID proclaiming you actually live in SD part of the year. SD is a pretty lax state when it comes to residency. Maybe you can obtain a SD ID/license too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks again for your reply's. I'm looking in local shops here in NY for the pistol I want. Maybe I can get it before I leave for SD. I thought this would be easy, well I was wrong.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:05:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: b_saan] [#44]
Thanks again for your reply's. I'm looking in local shops here in NY for the pistol I want. Maybe I can get it before I leave for SD. I thought this would be easy, well I was wrong.
View All Quotes
I doubt SD has any additional restrictions, MN and AZ don't, and it is perfectly legal under Federal law to buy a handgun (any firearm) in a state in which you own property as long as you reside in that property from time to time (federal law sets no exact time to establish secondary residency). Before I started my FFL, I split time between AZ/MN, had an AZ DL and used my MN city issued water bill (secondary ID has to be from a government entity indicating your local address) and then my resident MN permit to carry as my secondary identification to purchase firearms.  If an FFL won't sell you a handgun it's their choice but point out the instructions for question 18b.

Question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee/buyer may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's/buyer's residence address. This supplemental documentation should be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and type of identification presented. For example, if the transferee/buyer has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver's license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address. A valid electronic document from a government website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the transferee's/buyer's name and current residence address.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top