Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2017 1:22:36 PM EDT
So the spousal unit and I are looking to coming to Holland/St. Joseph next week for the day, I have a CHL from TX, but I'm an Illinois resident. (I know, I know, but my in laws are here and I enjoy Chicago except for the taxes and 2A laws) I can't really find a clear answer, is it legal for me to open or conceal carry? It looks like MI accepts TX CHLs, but I don't know if you have to be a TX resident or not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless it's recently changed, OC is OK (but as in most places not "normal"). I think  I've seen ONE OC'er in 40 years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen OC'ers around from time to time, but if you are worried about youre documentation passing muster due to the CPL in another state and residency in yet another state, I would advise you not to OC, especially in touristy places.   You will get attention.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So the spousal unit and I are looking to coming to Holland/St. Joseph next week for the day, I have a CHL from TX, but I'm an Illinois resident. (I know, I know, but my in laws are here and I enjoy Chicago except for the taxes and 2A laws) I can't really find a clear answer, is it legal for me to open or conceal carry? It looks like MI accepts TX CHLs, but I don't know if you have to be a TX resident or not.
View Quote

Michigan will only recognize resident cpl/chl/ccw licenses.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AKA MI does not recognize your TX permit because you are an IL resident and not a TX resident. Your permit and residency must be the same state for MI to recognize your permit.

Based on my interpretation of MCL 28.422, in your situation (IL resident with TX permit), you are not allowed to possess a pistol in MI unless you are simply traveling through.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

(9) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.
Then again, there's always the MCL 28.432 argument that MCL 28.422 does not apply to you since you do hold a TX permit.
28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.

Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.
There are some on here who believe that MCL 28.432 would allow an MI resident to avoid MI pistol registration by obtaining a non-resident permit from another state. It could be argued that this applies in your situation as well since the MCL 28.432 language does not make the licensed in his or her state of residence distinction like MCL 28.422.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

AKA MI does not recognize your TX permit because you are an IL resident and not a TX resident. Your permit and residency must be the same state for MI to recognize your permit.

Based on my interpretation of MCL 28.422, in your situation (IL resident with TX permit), you are not allowed to possess a pistol in MI unless you are simply traveling through.

Then again, there's always the MCL 28.432 argument that MCL 28.422 does not apply to you since you do hold a TX permit.

There are some on here who believe that MCL 28.432 would allow an MI resident to avoid MI pistol registration by obtaining a non-resident permit from another state. It could be argued that this applies in your situation as well since the MCL 28.432 language does not make the licensed in his or her state of residence distinction like MCL 28.422.
View Quote
I would have to assume the op has a FOID iaw IL law. Given that, the licensed by home state to possess a handgun would be met.   If op does not have a FOID I would agree unless IL law has changed to no longer require one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Holland is a very quiet religious town.

St. Joe is a shithole.

Either way you will gain attention.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've seen OC'ers around from time to time, but if you are worried about youre documentation passing muster due to the CPL in another state and residency in yet another state, I would advise you not to OC, especially in touristy places.   You will get attention.
View Quote
I'm driving by myself and I generally have my gun in my truck, I'm visiting my sister this weekend in Monroe, so I'll just keep it in my truck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm driving by myself and I generally have my gun in my truck, I'm visiting my sister this weekend in Monroe, so I'll just keep it in my truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Driving with it in truck is concealed here unless unloaded and stowed and not readily available. Forget exact wording and too lazy to look it up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Why haven't you gotten a license from Illinois yet?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Driving with it in truck is concealed here unless unloaded and stowed and not readily available. Forget exact wording and too lazy to look it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MCL 750.227d
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:

(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why haven't you gotten a license from Illinois yet?
View Quote
It costs money that we don't have. We have what we need to be comfortable,  but not a lot extra. We are working on it though.

Thanks for all the info guys!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top