Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 8:36:45 PM EDT
I will be traveling to the Kalamazoo area on a couple of business trips the beginning of August and was wondering if there are any good gun stores to check out in the area?

I was also thinking about bringing a couple of rifles with me to shoot on my down time (better than sitting in my hotel room anyways). Any local ranges open to the public? Would really be interested in outdoor long distance ranges 200 yds+ if possible.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey NBK44052

Ranges
There are really no public open gun ranges in Kalamazoo just 3 clubs that you have to be a member of.
There is a public pistol range/store in Battle creek (Freedom Firearms) and that's a 23 mile drive.

Stores
The largest gun store in Kalamazoo is OnTarget Guns (6984 W Main St, Kalamazoo, MI 49009) a large store but horrible prices.
Its an ok store if you just want to look.

Just west of OnTarget is D&R Sports - A small gun counter but ok and friendly help.
There is a new Field and Stream (5215 Century Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49006)

There are a few others but small in the area but small and might not be worth your time unless you really have time to waste.

If you want to go shooting rifles send me a message as I am an RSO at one of the local clubs and depending on when you are here
I might be able to help you out.

Regards
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
On Target - M43 just west of Kalamazoo.
Bullets and Barrels on M89 Richland would be a couple of gun stores in the Kalamazoo area worth going to.

Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club is private, however, all tournaments/events are open to the public. Every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. they hold a combat style pistol match. You need a handgun and two magazines to compete. A secure holster and a safety mindset. The muzzle can't point higher than the berm at any time or you get DQ'd. 7533 North Sprinkle Road. This is a casual fun match, you compete against yourself. No prizes, just for fun.

No rifle ranges are open to the general public anywhere close to Kalamazoo that I am aware of. Freedom Firearms in Battle Creek probably won't let you shoot high power rifles. .22's are OK.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Kalamazoo is pretty limited unfortunately.

3 gun clubs that you have to be a member of (or guest).

Gun shops have a wide variety but prices are stupid high. On Target on West Main always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I leave but you can finger fuck almost any gun you can imagine there.

You can contact me in August if you'd like to go to one of the ranges, I'm an RSO and would be happy to go with a fellow ARFCOMMER
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestion on the gun stores to check out. I haven't gotten a final schedule with dates and times as of yet for my work visit to Kalamazoo but might be taking some of you up on your offers for a range visit. Its much appreciated and I thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you hit On Target in Kzoo, there are a couple more that is close. There is Schanzs in Otsego. and Southwicks a couple miles away from Schanzs. Schanzs has a pretty good selection of rifles, shotguns, and reloading stuff. They only have a small selection of handguns.

Southwicks is pretty new, but I have no complaints.  

Schanz's address is 304 W Allegan St, Otsego, MI 49078
Southwick's is 1271 M-89, Plainwell, MI 49080
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't been to Southwicks, however I've seen pictures of the shop on Facebook.  Looks like it's very clean and organized.  On Target reminds me of an old school shop, where every bit of space is filled with something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't been to Southwicks, however I've seen pictures of the shop on Facebook.  Looks like it's very clean and organized.  On Target reminds me of an old school shop, where every bit of space is filled with something.
View Quote
Both of those statements are 100% true.

I bought my suppressor from Southwick's, and their store has some nice options, but it is still fairly empty.  Nice guys though.

Schantz's is Otsego is another story.  The brothers who now own the store are fucking pricks.  I went in there when I was 18-22 y/o and they watched me like a hawk like I was going to steal something.  And then they would pester me if I was going to buy anything or not.

Their dad who originally owner the store was a great man.  He died within the last year or so.  Good guy, but like I said his son's are assholes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I bought my suppressor from Southwick's, and their store has some nice options, but it is still fairly empty.  Nice guys though.

Schantz's is Otsego is another story.  The brothers who now own the store are fucking pricks.  I went in there when I was 18-22 y/o and they watched me like a hawk like I was going to steal something.  And then they would pester me if I was going to buy anything or not.

Their dad who originally owner the store was a great man.  He died within the last year or so.  Good guy, but like I said his son's are assholes.
View Quote
Ayeee, couldnt agree more with you man. Southwicks is nice but they need to stock it. Schantz are dildos. Unfortunately they are a mecca for reloading to many guys around here but still dicks
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ayeee, couldnt agree more with you man. Southwicks is nice but they need to stock it. Schantz are dildos. Unfortunately they are a mecca for reloading to many guys around here but still dicks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank God I buy all my reloading shit online
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've transfered in there about five guns so far. They are always helpful and polite. They had a decent selection of guns now, and a good supply of ammo. Sadly, I rarely get to look around much as most of the time I go there it's for a transfer. I did luck into a like new Model 10 Smith in there last week and bought it. They will get you in and out in a hurry without wasting your time playing waiting games like some dealers will. I can't say enough good about them.

Quoted:

As far as I know, Rick was the one that ran the gun business.

For those that have never been there, it's a tire&auto/gunshop. The old man may have started the auto shop, but I can remember buying reloading components from Rick out of his house. They do come across as rude and dicks sometimes, but I think that's just how they are. It turns people off I know, but they are one of the largest shops for reloading in MI.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm guilty of being in On Target regularly.

Their prices are about $50 over shipping and a transfer on new stuff, but I do my transfers through High Caliber. One time I went in there and they had about 15 different flavors of Desert Eagle.

If you're around South Haven, my club has open shoots every other Thursday. We have a 200 yard outdoor range, and a basic 15 yard indoor range. Indoor range is .357 mag and under, pistol only.

VBSC Indoor Range Calendar
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:34:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aww man, the old guy at Schantz died? That was such a cool place to go to as a kid.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aww man, the old guy at Schantz died? That was such a cool place to go to as a kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, his name was Marion.  Very nice guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top