Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2017 9:22:58 PM EDT
I need to know if Michigan and FL have a reciprocity for CCW? my son is moving to Ann Harbor to finish his master's fall/August 2017 (full scholarship-Thankfully) and he will be working as a teacher for the University of Michigan  as well and we are flying in to set him up @ the University Of Michigan apartments, in addition looking to find out if there are any ( affordable hotels/motels ) in the area.

Advise on what areas he should avoid ( completely ), and or suggestion on what type of firearms or other self defense items that are allowed in Michigan. Since he is going to be on property owned ( University of Michigan ) apartments, I assumed they will prohibit firearms on campus? any assistance or suggestions would be much appreciated.

suggestions on Restaurants ( Ann Harbor ), One Gun shop ( if possible in Ann Harbor ), in addition looking for a walled AC for my son's apartment, don't quite understands why they don't provide central AC/HEAT Combo, is there a Lowe"s or home Depot in Ann Harbor?,

looking forward to visiting Michigan and thanks for all of your help.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
MI recognizes every other state's carry license, but he is subject to the MI carry restrictions LISTED HERE.  The big 3 state-supported universities (U of M, MSU, and Wayne State) all prohibit firearms on campus - this includes all property owned or controlled by the university.  I lived in those graduate apartments, they kind of sucked and were expensive. You can save a lot of money and get a nicer place off campus, especially with a car.

No place in the Ann Arbor area is that bad or needs to be categorically avoided.  Neighboring Ypsilanti, MI hosts Eastern Michigan University and is a bit more rich and vibrant, but both are mainly college towns with typical college town crime in student areas.

In addition to firearms, MI has restrictions on the carry of electro-mechanical devices and some types of chemical spray.

The only retail gun shop that i know of is Ann Arbor Arms, they have a decent selection and an indoor pistol range, but their prices are a bit high imo.  It's on the west side of the city, so not really super convenient to campus (again, not a big issue if you have transportation).  Back when i was in school (before the opening of Ann Arbor Arms) our Michigan Second Amendment club used to travel to Westland, MI and go shooting at the indoor range at The Firing Line.  I drove about 40 mins west and did my long gun shooting at the outdoor free state-supported Sharonville range operated by the Michigan DNR.

Ann Arbor is pretty cosmopolitan with a great downtown, and there are tons of great restaurants and whatnot, as well as the typical stores. When I lived in grad housing i bought my window unit from Best Buy, the housing office requires you get their wooden shelf to secure outdoor AC units on, it was a $20 refundable deposit iirc.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Ann arbor is a total lib city and the University of Michigan is facing off in court right now and won the first round about banning guns on their properties despite being tax funded.

I would tread very carefully in ann arbor, I wouldn't be surprised if much of it is anti.

As for the rest of Michigan, everything is good to go.   We have home depots and lowes at every corner.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
As the other 2 posters have said, Ann Arbor is a liberal city. I completed my undergrad at U of M and lived there for 4 years. I spent 2 years in the dorms and 2 years in off-campus housing. You didn't specify, which graduate housing is he in, Northwoods or Munger? I'm assuming Northwoods since you mentioned lack of A/C.

It's a weird situation regarding firearms on campus. Michigan has preemption for firearms laws meaning that local municipalities cannot enact stricter firearms laws than state laws. Yet the big 3 state-funded universities (U of M, MSU, and Wayne State) all prohibit firearms on campus and campus owned facilities. This was challenged in court, but has been upheld so far. At this point, he cannot possess a firearm in U of M-owned graduate housing, nor can he have one on campus. This will also apply to you visiting and moving him in.

Other than U of M, MI will recognize CCW permits from other states as long as you are a resident in the state which issued your permit.

The only local gun shop I know up there is Ann Arbor Arms.

There are plenty of great restaurants in downtown Ann Arbor, but not so much on North Campus. I enjoy Blue Tractor, Jolly Pumpkin, Zingerman's, Blimpy Burger, Tios Mexican, and many more. The best area for restaurants will be along E Liberty St from State St west to Main St and along Main St from E William St to E Huron St.

There are Home Depot and Lowes. There's a hardware store up near Plymouth Rd and Huron Pkwy that should have window units. Otherwise, there's a Home Depot a ways south at Carpenter Rd and Packard Rd.

As for hotels, if he's in the Northwoods apartments, you'll want to stay up at the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, or Residence Inn at Plymouth Rd and US-23. If he's down in Munger housing, you'll want to stay at the hotels near Briarwood Mall.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate everyone's information, very helpful,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top