Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2017 11:38:30 PM EDT
TITLE CHANGE

Hey all

Headed to Auburn Hills tomorrow for an interview Wednesday at Fiat Chrysler. Looking for some suggestions for where to grab dinner. I'm somewhat familiar with the area, I go up every year for Woodward Dream Cruise. Vinsetta Garage on Woodward is one of my favorites, but looking for something different

Prefer reasonably priced, pizza, hamburgers, etc

Thanks y'all

UPDATE: I didn't feel like making an entirely new thread and clogging up the HTF. I got the job at Fiat Chrysler and am now in the process of locating an apartment, but I don't have much time. Prefer to be in Royal Oak and north, commute doesn't bother me. Want to be in a decent/nice area. Hopefully there's room in the area for another conservative, gun owning, ARFCOMMER. Any suggestions that you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd travel to either Rochester or Lake Orion to try something new.

There's Kruse and Muer at Walton and Adams.

I like Lucky's Prime Time (steaks and burger) at Walton and Livernois.

If you hit downtown Rochester along Rochester Rd just north and south of University, there's Rochester Mills Beer Company, Kruse and Muer on Main, and Georgio's Pizza.

If you take Hwy 24 (Lapeer Rd) north a bit, you'll hit downtown Lake Orion around Hwy 24 and Broadway. Downtown stretches north from there along Broadway. I like Sagebrush Cantina and Lockhart's BBQ. A little bit south of downtown along Hwy 24, you can find Orion Sports Bar and Grill, Kruse and Muer Roadhouse, Forest Mexican Cantina, and Old Detroit Bar and Grill.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey all

Headed to Auburn Hills tomorrow for an interview Wednesday at Fiat Chrysler. Looking for some suggestions for where to grab dinner. I'm somewhat familiar with the area, I go up every year for Woodward Dream Cruise. Vinsetta Garage on Woodward is one of my favorites, but looking for something different

Prefer reasonably priced, pizza, hamburgers, etc

Thanks y'all
View Quote

I should have an arfcom dream cruise party, I'm literally a block east on a corner lot between 13&14
If members are coming from that far it would probably be cool to have a a place to sit/eat/party/take a break and hang out with other members
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Better idea yet, why not back track to Royal Oak and go to the Red Coat tavern.   Best burgers in the state (IIRC they won national awards).

You can also try Black Rock, Capital Grill, Ocean Prime, Mortons, Ruth Chris, Buddies Pizza

And you can always go to Nikola's in Southfield, which a fellow arfcommer owns.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Jo'Angela's, in Auburn RD, is one of my favs. But my taste buds may be biased. I used to eat there as a kid and now it's a nostalgia visit when I go back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I should have an arfcom dream cruise party, I'm literally a block east on a corner lot between 13&14
If members are coming from that far it would probably be cool to have a a place to sit/eat/party/take a break and hang out with other members
View Quote
With any luck, I'll get the job and be living up here
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Better idea yet, why not back track to Royal Oak and go to the Red Coat tavern.   Best burgers in the state (IIRC they won national awards).

You can also try Black Rock, Capital Grill, Ocean Prime, Mortons, Ruth Chris, Buddies Pizza

And you can always go to Nikola's in Southfield, which a fellow arfcommer owns.
View Quote
Love me a good burger. Looks like I'm gonna venture down Woodward and try Red Coat Tavern
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
In  case you weren't aware  75 from about big beaver to m59 is a clusterfuck of epic proportions currently
I've been taking Woodward to opdyke to featherstone the three times a week I have to go out that way
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In  case you weren't aware  75 from about big beaver to m59 is a clusterfuck of epic proportions currently
I've been taking Woodward to opdyke to featherstone the three times a week I have to go out that way
View Quote
Found that out, lol

It wasn't too bad, I'm a reasonably patient person
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Ended up at B Spot Burgers in Royal Oak, then took a drive to Ray's Ice Cream for dessert
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
You should have walked the extra couple feet and said hi,
If it was when you posted you probably saw my wife walking the dog with my kids riding their bikes
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ended up at B Spot Burgers in Royal Oak, then took a drive to Ray's Ice Cream for dessert
View Quote
You did yourself a disservice by not going to Red Coat which was a mile up the road.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Update in the OP, and thread title change.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm an hour away and don't have any suggestions, but congrats on the job
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in royal oak right now. Staying at my sister's. I'll probably be looking for an apartment in a month. Keep me posted and I'll do the same
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Best choice that isn't insane would be Royal Oak and clawson,
Next up, north Madison heights or s/w Troy

That's the best combination of affordable decent and convienent to the rest of the metro area,

Check smaller house rentals too, sometimes they're lower than apartments
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I75 is going to be under construction like that for the next 10+ years. It's a huge project. There is no way I would want to deal with that daily. Unless you want to be in Royal oak for the social and night life aspect, I would choose some where north of M59.

I'm not up on the apartment situation these days but there is Beacon Hill by Oakland University, which is nice. For starter homes or rentals, I would look in Waterford (low taxes but lower end schools). The lake Orion area or anywhere going north on lapeer road is nice and would be close to FCA.

What position/group did you get hired for? I don't work there but have friends that do. PM me if you don't want to post.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I75 is going to be under construction like that for the next 10+ years. It's a huge project. There is no way I would want to deal with that daily. Unless you want to be in Royal oak for the social and night life aspect, I would choose some where north of M59.

I'm not up on the apartment situation these days but there is Beacon Hill by Oakland University, which is nice. For starter homes or rentals, I would look in Waterford (low taxes but lower end schools). The lake Orion area or anywhere going north on lapeer road is nice and would be close to FCA.

What position/group did you get hired for? I don't work there but have friends that do. PM me if you don't want to post.
View Quote
Social/night life doesn't affect my living arrangement, I can drive anywhere. I picked Royal Oak as a starting point because everything I've seen suggests it to be a decent/nice community.  Commuting doesn't bother me, and I'm sure there are alternate ways to reach FCA's campus without traveling on I-75

To answer your question: I'll be working with the chassis mounts team. It's a contract position with an indefinite end date. Easier to get hired at FCA as a contract employee than direct, at least initially. After a period of time, when I prove myself, I can move off contract to direct.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to go out to across the street form the fca campus 3 times a week (all workdays) there are a serious number of alternatives, biggest being Woodward opdyke featherstone, but and route from Royal oak to M59 you can get off east of 75 and come in from the back way,
Overshooting and coming in from 75s works too
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Royal Oak is a nice community if you want to be overcharged for living there. Don't get me wrong, I think RO is a nice city, but would never pay the outrageous rent to live there.

I'd look at northern Madison Heights, Berkley, southern Troy, western Sterling Heights, Auburn Hills, and Rochester.

As for the apartments across from Oakland University, only live there if you still want to party like a college kid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Royal Oak is a nice community if you want to be overcharged for living there. Don't get me wrong, I think RO is a nice city, but would never pay the outrageous rent to live there.

I'd look at northern Madison Heights, Berkley, southern Troy, western Sterling Heights, Auburn Hills, and Rochester.

As for the apartments across from Oakland University, only live there if you still want to party like a college kid.
View Quote
Well, I'm 28, started college late. I didn't party like a college kid when I was in college. Don't intend to start now
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
You definitely forgot clawson, which is fine because everyone does.
Clawson still has a sense of community and some of the feel of a small town.
And it's just as nice as, but cheaper than Royal oak
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All good info so far. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm looking at a place at The Preserves in Sterling Heights.

Any insight to the area/surrounding area?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, I'm 28, started college late. I didn't party like a college kid when I was in college. Don't intend to start now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you definitely would not be interested in Beacon Hill apartments across from OU as another poster mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct. I always forget about Clawson. It's a very nice area. Much cheaper than Royal Oak/Berkley, and actually more of my style of city.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm looking at a place at The Preserves in Sterling Heights.

Any insight to the area/surrounding area?
View Quote
I don't know anything about that apartment complex, but I see it's on Ryan near M-59. That's a fine area. There's some good restaurants in and around that area. It's close to M-59 so the commute to work shouldn't be bad. Close Quarters Tactical at 23 Mile and Hayes is probably your closest indoor shooting range. River Bends park at Ryan and Hamlin is nice for shooting clays. Pontiac Lake shooting range is the closest DNR outdoor range straight down M-59 to Waterford.

A few years ago, I had a girlfriend that lived at 19 Mile and Ryan. I liked the area pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know anything about that apartment complex, but I see it's on Ryan near M-59. That's a fine area. There's some good restaurants in and around that area. It's close to M-59 so the commute to work shouldn't be bad. Close Quarters Tactical at 23 Mile and Hayes is probably your closest indoor shooting range. River Bends park at Ryan and Hamlin is nice for shooting clays. Pontiac Lake shooting range is the closest DNR outdoor range straight down M-59 to Waterford.

A few years ago, I had a girlfriend that lived at 19 Mile and Ryan. I liked the area pretty well.
View Quote
Thank you for your insight. Obviously, I don't know the area too well, and I trust the insight of ARFCOMMMERs.

My recruiter offered to assist me in locating an apartment, but I would rather have people that I know care about PERSEC and OPSEC give me some assistance
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Going to look at a place at The Oaks at Hampton in Rochester Hills tomorrow

Thoughts on the surrounding area?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Rochester hills is nice... It would be a short ride to work, but don't be afraid to look a bit north of the Chrysler tech center too. Brandon, Clarkston, parts of Waterford... (not sure about apartments though)

We should get some guys together and hit Pontiac Lake some time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Going to look at a place at The Oaks at Hampton in Rochester Hills tomorrow

Thoughts on the surrounding area?
View Quote
Like last time, I can't speak to that specific complex, but I can speak to the area. We have a family friend who lives just a mile over at Dequindre and Hamlin in Avon Lakes Village subdivision.

Rochester Hills is a pretty nice place. It will likely be higher rent than Sterling Heights, or maybe just a smaller apartment for the same rent. Specifically, Hamlin and John R where that complex is puts you pretty close to a lot of things. River Bends shotgun range is 2 miles east at Hamlin and Ryan. Downtown Rochester with lots of shops and restaurants is 2 miles up the road at Rochester and University. Go one more mile up to Rochester and Tienken and you have more restaurants and shopping. The Hampton Village Center a mile south at Rochester and Auburn has an Emagine Theater (really nice movie theater), Kohl's, Meijer, Target, and Lowe's. Yate's Cider Mill (which is always super busy) is just a mile or two away at Avon and 23 Mile. There's a whole bunch more restaurants about 3 miles away at Walton and Livernois. I really like Lucky's Prime Time up at the intersection. There's like 6 or 7 golf courses within 5 miles of that apartment if you like to golf. If you're going to pursue a master's or PhD, Oakland University is about 6 miles away. Stony Creek Metropark with lots of hiking/mountain biking trails and about an 8 mile paved bike path is only about 6 miles away too.

Honestly, if it's a decent apartment for your budget, I'd probably take that over the Sterling Heights one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I agree with what the last poster (edit- rjbergen) said- i get to Sterling Heights a lot and have over the last 30+ years, and it's nowhere near as nice as Rochester Hills.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, took the apartment in Rochester Hills

I sincerely, sincerely appreciate the insight and information that you guys have provided
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, took the apartment in Rochester Hills

I sincerely, sincerely appreciate the insight and information that you guys have provided
View Quote
I think you will enjoy that area. Let us know if you need anything!
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think you will enjoy that area. Let us know if you need anything!
View Quote
I will tor sure
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Welcome neighbor! I'm just down the road near Auburn and Dequindre. I grew up in Sterling Heights and have lived in Rochester Hills for  13 years... You made a good choice

Rjbergen's post above is spot on - couldn't have said it better myself. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to shoot me a message.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Welcome neighbor! I'm just down the road near Auburn and Dequindre. I grew up in Sterling Heights and have lived in Rochester Hills for  13 years... You made a good choice

Rjbergen's post above is spot on - couldn't have said it better myself. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to shoot me a message.
View Quote
Thanks! And will do!

Just trying to find my way around now. Did some grocery shopping this morning. Breakfast at Rochester Brunch House

So far, I really like the ease of accessibility to everything, and the wide variety of everything
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Just saw this thread.  Welcome to Rochester Hills.

If you are interested in car shows, there is a big one in downtown Rochester on August 13.

http://www.rochesterlionsclub.org/index.php/fundraisers/rockin-rods
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you are interested in car shows, there is a big one in downtown Rochester on August 13.

View Quote
Oh hell yes! Definitely check that out!

Where at in Rochester? Right on Rochester Rd?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make sure you check out the Woodward Dream Cruise if you like cars.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Make sure you check out the Woodward Dream Cruise if you like cars.
View Quote
I've driven up from Ohio 6-7 of the last 10 years for Dream Cruise

I already have Roadkill Nights and Dream Cruise on my calendar
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One block west of Rochester Rd.

The entrance to the show is off of University on Walnut Blvd.  Cars will be parked on Walnut for about 3 blocks south of University and in the lots along Walnut.  The line to get in will start on Pine Street.  It heads north to University and then east on University to Walnut.

They open registration at about 7:00.  I am typically in line by about 6:45.  I never pre-register because you never know if it is going to rain.  It seems to be about 50/50 on the rain.  For breakfast we always go to the Krazy Greek which is on University east of Rochester.

My Charger is in storage this year since I bought a Rubicon in April.  I wanted to play with the Jeep this year.  This will be the first time it isn't going to Woodward since 1998.

Do you have a car you are going to enter?  What is it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

One block west of Rochester Rd.

The entrance to the show is off of University on Walnut Blvd.  Cars will be parked on Walnut for about 3 blocks south of University and in the lots along Walnut.  The line to get in will start on Pine Street.  It heads north to University and then east on University to Walnut.

They open registration at about 7:00.  I am typically in line by about 6:45.  I never pre-register because you never know if it is going to rain.  It seems to be about 50/50 on the rain.  For breakfast we always go to the Krazy Greek which is on University east of Rochester.

My Charger is in storage this year since I bought a Rubicon in April.  I wanted to play with the Jeep this year.  This will be the first time it isn't going to Woodward since 1998.

Do you have a car you are going to enter?  What is it?
View Quote
Wish I had a car to enter. I'm a recently employed, former broke ass college student.

I'm a Mopar guy, so I'll get something in the not too distant future. Whether it's a current Charger/Challenger or a classic Mopar B or E body with a modern drivetrain/suspension or a mid 60s Mopar with a Max Wedge, I'll have something

My current concern is paying my bills and trying to stash some money for a new truck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top