Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 9:37:12 PM EDT
I'm going to be in Alpena with a few friends the end of July for a few days to dive shipwrecks in Thunder Bay. Staying at the Days Inn. Want to keep the eats cheap. We'll be picking up groceries for lunches, but want a decent dinner or two.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive only been through there once, but the Black Sheep had a good lunch.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up there but I haven't been back in quite a while.

The Courtyard, John A Lau, The Owl, jjs, all used to be pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I knew where it is, but there is a nice Mexican joint in a strip mall type area that is worth looking into. Nowicki's sausage sells cooked sausage dogs and Bratsfrom their retail sales location, that would be cheap eats.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions! I was in Alpena 1991-1992 as a reporter for the Alpena News, but I've not been back since!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Drive twenty minutes south on 23 and hit Connies Cafe in Ossineke for breakfast (get a cinnamon roll, trust me). About ten minutes further hit The Mountain Inn in Blackriver for lunch/dinner or a cold one.

There are a couple other nice restaurants in that area too.

We have a place in Black River and Connies and the Mountain are frequent places to eat.

If we are in Alpena shopping and grap something to eat it's usually Mancinos grinders or just fast food.

Hope this helps.

J-
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions! Three weeks to trip!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately, my trip has been canceled due to the weather forecast. T'storms forecast for the days I'd be diving, with 4 ft waves. Friend of a friend was supposed to be diving a bit north of Alpena today and got blown out. Will be diving Lake Michigan instead. Hope to make it up to Alpena to dive next summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top