Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2017 9:58:51 PM EDT
I am from the Ann Arbor area but have lived in Texas for the past several years. Returning for a wedding and the groom wants to go shooting as the first stop of the bachelor party. Best man is also no longer in MI and is not a shooter, so I volunteered to try to make arrangements. Around 2 dozen guys invited, and those shooters in the group have enough equipment to spread around so we shouldn't need to rent anything. Trap shooting would be a great addition to rifle/pistol range, but not 100% necessary. Want to shoot handguns and rifles up to .308.

I used to belong to Washtenaw Sportsmens Club and Tri-County Sportsmens club, but unsure we know any members.

Ideally I'd like to find some state land with a shooting pit we can go out to, but if anyone online knows of a good spot in the vicinity, they're keeping it to themselves.

Fishing for suggestions. Might have to settle for the DNR range in Brighton, but I kinda hated that place last time I went. They put lumber right at muzzle height for a short guy like me, so I spent the whole time shooting on tip toes. I'm all for improvised shooting positions, but it got tiring after a while.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Good place to start would be DNR for public lands. I am not familiar with the East side of the state.

Regarding pistol possession by non-CPL holders if any of your group don't have a CPL  : http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31584--,00.html
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Lapeer shooting pit is what you are looking for, but the clay areal targets have been banned now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good place to start would be DNR for public lands. I am not familiar with the East side of the state.

Regarding pistol possession by non-CPL holders if any of your group don't have a CPL  : http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31584--,00.html
View Quote
This only applies when hunting or borrowing your gun to another person who is going out with it for the day.  

You can absolutely let a non CPL holder next to you shoot your handgun provided he's not a felon....
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Find someone with land and shoot at their place.

I shoot in my back yard and am setting up a 3 gun match with 24 steel targets.
I invite my friends over for shooting BBQ and bone fires
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lapeer shooting pit is what you are looking for, but the clay areal targets have been banned now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The round trip from Ann Arbor would eat up most of the scheduled shooting time I have to work with. Bookmarking for future range trips when I return home and have a bit more schedule flexibility, though.

Quoted:
Find someone with land and shoot at their place.

I shoot in my back yard and am setting up a 3 gun match with 24 steel targets.
I invite my friends over for shooting BBQ and bone fires
I envy your setup, sir. Unless that's an invitation, though, I'm unsure how to follow your advice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Two dozen?  That's a big group for shooting. I'd say reach out to BWSA to see if you could arrange to rent the special event bay, but you said travel to the Pit is too much so Port Huron has gotta be out.

Maybe Island Lake?  Do some sporting clays in groups of 4 and then hit the range for some pistol/rifle?  Rules kinda suck, and I would call ahead for such a large group.

Island Lake
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Sharon Hollow

About 30 minutes west of A2. I've shot my muzzle loader there before and its a decent range. It is a DNR range and thus there are range officers so there is no shenanigans allow, but it is a nice range and as I recall it was free last time I was there.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top