Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 12:40:15 AM EDT
Hey guys. My parents live between Alpena and Harrisville. My stepdad is on his death bed and will likely pass way by the end of the week. My mom (72 years old)does NOT want to move back down state. I'm luckily in the position that I can afford to have a whole house stand by genny installed at their house and would insist on doing it if she's gonna stay up there year round (they had a couple weeks with out power this last winter) and most of the houses near them are seasonal.

I tried googling for sales/installers in the area but only come up with real generic pages and nothing that really points me do any reputable sales/install guys.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on sales/install in the area?

Thanks in advance
J-
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you with any referrals out in that area, but how would the generator be fueled?  Propane tank?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't help you with any referrals out in that area, but how would the generator be fueled?  Propane tank?
View Quote
Yep propane. Depending on how efficient the genny is I might have its own tank installed too. Just don't know how much they use when running.

J-
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a 20KW Generac installed and it runs often.    We haven't noticed how much propane is used because it hasn't run more than 24 Hours at a time since we installed it.    We did upgrade our propane tank from 500 gallons to 1000 gallons and keep an eye on it.    I have never seen it below 700 gallons of propane.   Should last for a while in an extended outage.   Our installer really did a nice job but he is a few hours farther south then you are so I don't think it would even be worth a referral.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We had a 20KW Generac installed and it runs often.    We haven't noticed how much propane is used because it hasn't run more than 24 Hours at a time since we installed it.    We did upgrade our propane tank from 500 gallons to 1000 gallons and keep an eye on it.    I have never seen it below 700 gallons of propane.   Should last for a while in an extended outage.   Our installer really did a nice job but he is a few hours farther south then you are so I don't think it would even be worth a referral.
View Quote
Cool good info on the propane. Thanks.

J-
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I can't help with a person who can install but go with a Generac. I use a 35 kw Generac for my
server room and she has been a work horse.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry I can't help with a person who can install but go with a Generac. I use a 35 kw Generac for my
server room and she has been a work horse.
View Quote
Copy thanks, seems Generac is the "ONLY" way to go from when I have found.

J-
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Gaylord is probably the closest town with dealers.

A little Google-fu found Wolverine Power Systems in Gaylord (.   https://g.co/kgs/1MCFN5 ) was a Generac dealer. Haven't dealt with them.

Cummins Bridgeway in Gaylord ( https://g.co/kgs/4GwrTH)   service any make/model of generator, but they probably only sell Cummins. Might look at them to compare prices. I've dealt with their office just a little at work. They seem OK. They will drive north of the bridge, so Alpena is definitely in their range.

One thing to keep in mind with propane is to have enough vapor pressure/boil off in below zero temps to keep everything running. I've seen a 50kw generator choke out a commercial water heater when it revved up to handle an increased load on a really cold night. Once we added a second 1000 gallon tank we haven't had any more problems. Your propane supplier could probably help you calculate the tank size you need using your total BTU draw. 500 gallons might cover a homeowners needs. 1000 gallons would definitely be more than enough.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gaylord is probably the closest town with dealers.

A little Google-fu found Wolverine Power Systems in Gaylord (.   https://g.co/kgs/1MCFN5 ) was a Generac dealer. Haven't dealt with them.

Cummins Bridgeway in Gaylord ( https://g.co/kgs/4GwrTH)   service any make/model of generator, but they probably only sell Cummins. Might look at them to compare prices. I've dealt with their office just a little at work. They seem OK. They will drive north of the bridge, so Alpena is definitely in their range.

One thing to keep in mind with propane is to have enough vapor pressure/boil off in below zero temps to keep everything running. I've seen a 50kw generator choke out a commercial water heater when it revved up to handle an increased load on a really cold night. Once we added a second 1000 gallon tank we haven't had any more problems. Your propane supplier could probably help you calculate the tank size you need using your total BTU draw. 500 gallons might cover a homeowners needs. 1000 gallons would definitely be more than enough.
View Quote
copy thanks for the info, appreciate it.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top