Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 4:09:01 PM EDT
Registered AK as a pistol a few years back, has a folding stock. Would this be legal to carry as a pistol say inside a vehicle and would it matter if the stock if open, closed or does it have to be completely off?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Registered AK as a pistol
View Quote

There you go........
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
i really wish mine was grandfathered. It was a nice loophole at the time
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i really wish mine was grandfathered. It was a nice loophole at the time
View Quote
What?

If it's under 26"  on its shortest operable configuration... it is a pistol per mi law....

Folder ak's are almost all pistols.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Registered AK as a pistol a few years back, has a folding stock. Would this be legal to carry as a pistol say inside a vehicle and would it matter if the stock if open, closed or does it have to be completely off?
View Quote

As long as the stock can fold you are gtg and he overall operatable length fully collapsed is under 26" you're good

Just expect that you may find some cops not familiar with the laws but that can be cleared up quickly.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I really need to get a Krinkov, so I can conceal carry it in my car.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What?

If it's under 26"  on its shortest operable configuration... it is a pistol per mi law....

Folder ak's are almost all pistols.
View Quote
I was under the impression it fell under the "Michigan pistol" deal they put a sunset on, like a pistol grip shotgun that's 26"... I believe they changed that.  

I'm off to do some research

Edit. This is what I'm talking about at the bottom of the thread Here

As I remember it, they changed it and you can't register folders as pistols anymore.

Edit 2. OP. If you already did this you're good to go. I didn't get in before the "fix"
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine had 4" cut off the barrel. It qualified for a MI pistol when I moved back.  

I carry it in the truck fairly often.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a question: how much drama would it cause if you walk in the woods with one and get stopped by the DNR?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
if its legal its legal
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would have to have been registered as a pistol prior to the end of 2013 to be grandfathered as a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It would have to have been registered as a pistol prior to the end of 2013 to be grandfathered as a pistol.
View Quote
Or be an SBR with some barrel missing.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was under the impression it fell under the "Michigan pistol" deal they put a sunset on, like a pistol grip shotgun that's 26"... I believe they changed that.  

I'm off to do some research

Edit. This is what I'm talking about at the bottom of the thread Here

As I remember it, they changed it and you can't register folders as pistols anymore.

Edit 2. OP. If you already did this you're good to go. I didn't get in before the "fix"
View Quote
This is incorrect.

These people are confused when the laws changed from 30" to the 26" rules.   Some folders that could fit under the 30" rules back in the day - they were eligible to be grandfathered, and you would forfeit the classification if you traded/sold it.

The new 26" rule is different....

If it's UNDER 26" fully collapsed and folded, AND functional... then it's a pistol and all MI pistol laws apply.  It may NOT be a pistol federally as they calculate OAL with fully extended.

Most under-folders today are under 26".  The 26" law made things really simple, where the old one was crap and complicated.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there any links you have to that? I haven't found any specifying that although I would love to... I asked a LEO friend/gunsmith (taking it as hearsay) but he also has a sig with a folder and was under the same impression I was. Not trying to call you out, but I would love to get to the bottom of it as I would like to do this to an Ak I have but under the impression its incorrect

its as clear as mud here
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is there any links you have to that? I haven't found any specifying that although I would love to... I asked a LEO friend/gunsmith (taking it as hearsay) but he also has a sig with a folder and was under the same impression I was. Not trying to call you out, but I would love to get to the bottom of it as I would like to do this to an Ak I have but under the impression its incorrect

its as clear as mud here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

its as clear as mud here
Read the second post

Guy says exactly what I have been saying, this was a law for the 30" rule that is no longer in effect.

Go to your local gun shop and ask them too while you're at it, there is a reason why they are doing RI060's on under folders that are under 26"

NFA SBR's require pistol registration too when under 26", including machine guns.  It's the law.

And yes, you CAN have a pistol configuration that is over 26", but then it's no longer a pistol per MI law, it becomes a FIREARM.

The old law on the between 26"-30" bullshit is where you're getting confused.

Here is an updated law showing the registration of a pistol required for any SBR/SBS under the length:
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSPLegalUpdate106_451985_7.pdf

Here is more, it's worth noting to look past 2013 posts as a lot of people are referencing pre 2013 laws.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4ks0apqi2x0qdnoctefue154))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-421

(i) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?299232-What-is-my-AR-Platform-(Federal-State-of-Michigan)

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?340854-AK-Folder

Keep in mind, a MICHIGAN pistol might not be a Federal pistol, so know your laws when traveling with that out of state.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:15:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

As long as you have a CPL you could carry it in your car otherwise you would have to carry it in compliance with transport rules.

J-
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a shit ton of really good info, I appreciate it and intend on passing some of it along to a few friends as well. Thanks again

Quoted:

Read the second post

Guy says exactly what I have been saying, this was a law for the 30" rule that is no longer in effect.

Go to your local gun shop and ask them too while you're at it, there is a reason why they are doing RI060's on under folders that are under 26"

NFA SBR's require pistol registration too when under 26", including machine guns.  It's the law.

And yes, you CAN have a pistol configuration that is over 26", but then it's no longer a pistol per MI law, it becomes a FIREARM.

The old law on the between 26"-30" bullshit is where you're getting confused.

Here is an updated law showing the registration of a pistol required for any SBR/SBS under the length:
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSPLegalUpdate106_451985_7.pdf

Here is more, it's worth noting to look past 2013 posts as a lot of people are referencing pre 2013 laws.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4ks0apqi2x0qdnoctefue154))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-421

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?299232-What-is-my-AR-Platform-(Federal-State-of-Michigan)http://i.imgur.com/gAEdxdg.jpg

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?340854-AK-Folder

Keep in mind, a MICHIGAN pistol might not be a Federal pistol, so know your laws when traveling with that out of state.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is some info I posted a while back

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_39/609808_New--Michigan-Pistol--AKA--legal-loaded-rifle-in-vehicle-----.html

in essence, if it is 26" or less collapsed pistol or sbr Michigan requires it to be 'registered' as a pistol and can be concealed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#18]
The trick is if it has a stock, it is not a pistol by federal designation, so it has to have a 16" barrel or be SBR. If it has a 16" barrel, the rest of the firearm can only add 9". Hard to do.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The trick is if it has a stock, it is not a pistol by federal designation, so it has to have a 16" barrel or be SBR. If it has a 16" barrel, the rest of the firearm can only add 9". Hard to do.
View Quote
What relevance is this to the thread? This is a discussion regarding state law.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Because you have to please both "gods."  

And I guess I should've said 9.9" in my earlier post.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because you have to please both "gods."  

And I guess I should've said 9.9" in my earlier post.
View Quote

Federal law has no bearing on this discussion. Federal law and Michigan measure OAL differently. Federal law does not dictate our carry laws.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are confusing things here.   Regardless if it's in Michigan or any other state or federal, if it's a short barrel with a stock it has to be a registered by the NFA branch and stamped as an SBR.  

However, in MICHIGAN (which is what this topic is about), if it's under 26" OAL COLLAPSED functioning, it can be treated as a Pistol and needs to be registered with the state as a pistol.  It is BOTH an SBR and a MICHIGAN Pistol.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not confusing them, I'm trying to make sure that anyone reading through this doesn't do something dumb. I have 2 grandfathered MI pistols myself, one is a M70AB1 I built myself.

In the OP's case, I'm going to guess that he got his UF AK registered and grandfathered so he can carry it as any pistol.

Anyone else trying now to get a rifle registered as a pistol is going to have two options. One, go through the SBR process then register it as a pistol. The other is to have a 16" barrel and the rest of the firearm be only 9.9". This is difficult, but not impossible, with an AK and being an UF is the most likely to fit. The 16" is measured from where the bolt face hits the barrel, which is set into the receiver a couple inches so you actually have more like 11" to play with. I believe the standard AKM receiver is around 10 1/2". Depending on the pistol grip used, that may actually be the furthest rear part of an UF AK. A side folder will have some extra trunnion sticking out the back, which will eat up length. But I'm fairly confident that it is possible, even today, to have an underfolding AK be non-SBR, 16" barrel, and still sneak in under 26" OAL folded for MI measurement and over 26" extended for the Feds.

I could be wrong. I'd measure things out myself, but I happen to be down in TN and only brought a few regular pistols with me, as the MI pistols stop being pistols at the Ohio state line. Maybe I'll remember to bust out a tape measure when I get back and update.

Thank you for all your concern that I don't know what I'm talking about though!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not confusing them, I'm trying to make sure that anyone reading through this doesn't do something dumb. I have 2 grandfathered MI pistols myself, one is a M70AB1 I built myself.

In the OP's case, I'm going to guess that he got his UF AK registered and grandfathered so he can carry it as any pistol.

Anyone else trying now to get a rifle registered as a pistol is going to have two options. One, go through the SBR process then register it as a pistol. The other is to have a 16" barrel and the rest of the firearm be only 9.9". This is difficult, but not impossible, with an AK and being an UF is the most likely to fit. The 16" is measured from where the bolt face hits the barrel, which is set into the receiver a couple inches so you actually have more like 11" to play with. I believe the standard AKM receiver is around 10 1/2". Depending on the pistol grip used, that may actually be the furthest rear part of an UF AK. A side folder will have some extra trunnion sticking out the back, which will eat up length. But I'm fairly confident that it is possible, even today, to have an underfolding AK be non-SBR, 16" barrel, and still sneak in under 26" OAL folded for MI measurement and over 26" extended for the Feds.

I could be wrong. I'd measure things out myself, but I happen to be down in TN and only brought a few regular pistols with me, as the MI pistols stop being pistols at the Ohio state line. Maybe I'll remember to bust out a tape measure when I get back and update.

Thank you for all your concern that I don't know what I'm talking about though!
View Quote
Under folder ak's like the arsenals will fall under 26".  Pretty much 90% of the under folders will fall under the 26" oal with a 16" bbl.

Most people also don't know that if you attached a law folding bracket to your ar, it has to be registered as a MI pistol if it's folded oal is under 26".  Because you can still discharge a round with the stock folded.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought an RH-10 with the Magpul folding stock on it from a local here in Michigan last week.

I did not know that it was under 26" when the stock was folded until I read the thread and measured myself.

What do I need to do to make this thing legal?  Register it as a pistol?  Keep it as is?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just bought an RH-10 with the Magpul folding stock on it from a local here in Michigan last week.

I did not know that it was under 26" when the stock was folded until I read the thread and measured myself.

What do I need to do to make this thing legal?  Register it as a pistol?  Keep it as is?
View Quote
If you have a cpl then just fill out a ri-060 as the buyer and seller and hand it in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Any folding magpul guys want to step in?

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top