Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I just read the senate passed it
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
About time, I'll be calling my rep tomorrow 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell yes. Keeping tabs on this. I have no use (maybe I'll get an infidel) but would love to be able to have a butterfly on me bored at work and not go to jail for it
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#4]
what and when is the next step for passing?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what and when is the next step for passing?
View Quote
When will the House vote? or has it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Wonder if the State Police will nix this as it did with pistol registration elimination that once passed, and the Governor didn't sign.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Any new info?  I'd love to see this ban repealed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a knife guy, but I'd buy 1, just because.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Ooops! Didn't know
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Still nothing but crickets
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Still nothing but crickets
View Quote
Latest from the House 
5/23/2017Expected in 
HJ 48
reported with recommendation without amendment
5/23/2017Expected in 
HJ 48
referred to second reading
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Latest from the House 
5/23/2017Expected in 
HJ 48
5/23/2017Expected in 
HJ 48
View Quote
Ok, what does that mean?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok, what does that mean?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Latest from the House 
5/23/2017Expected in 
HJ 48
5/23/2017Expected in 
HJ 48
Ok, what does that mean?
It's good. Means it has made it out of committee and is being presented to the whole House with a recommendation to pass it without any amendments.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Let's pray this is the time
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Can hardly wait for this to pass. Got a couple of different models picked out.

Protech  Emerson CQB-7

Protech Magic BR-1
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
If the bill passes and is signed by Gov Snyder, I guess that will moot the old saying, "I'd give my left arm to own a switchblade knife."
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Now if this passes will it automatically affect the laws concerning auto knives and having a CPL or will the CPL laws need to be adjusted as well?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Now if this passes will it automatically affect the laws concerning auto knives and having a CPL or will the CPL laws need to be adjusted as well?
View Quote
What laws are you referencing?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm curious about what laws, as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#21]
when you look at the application it  lists things disallowing you the ability of get or have a  CPL one of the things is possession or use of a switchblade. i dont remember the exact wording where i i saw it but here is one site listing something simulate to what i saw. http://michgunlaws.com/michigan-cpl-laws.htm

It lists 12. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application: which lists "Sale or possession of a switchblade, MCL 750.226a"

I guess in simple thought,  if the ruleing is changer making it no longer a illegal devise, it would just fall off the list of things that are considered a crime making the whole thing kind of mute, though i know in "LAW" simple rarely enters the picture..
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
when you look at the application it  lists things disallowing you the ability of get or have a  CPL one of the things is possession or use of a switchblade. i dont remember the exact wording where i i saw it but here is one site listing something simulate to what i saw. http://michgunlaws.com/michigan-cpl-laws.htm

It lists 12. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application: which lists "Sale or possession of a switchblade, MCL 750.226a"

I guess in simple thought,  if the ruleing is changer making it no longer a illegal devise, it would just fall off the list of things that are considered a crime making the whole thing kind of mute, though i know in "LAW" simple rarely enters the picture..
View Quote
The bill, MI SB0245 (2017) does not modify the CPL law, specifically MCL 28.425b section 7(h)(ix). An applicant will still be barred from being issued a CPL if they have been convicted of MCL 750.226a within the last 8 years. The reason that it is not being removed is that while MCL 750.226a is up for being repealed, it was still a law at one point that you could have been convicted of a misdemeanor for. Repealing MCL 750.226a does not mean anyone who's ever been convicted of it now has their records expunged, it simply makes it legal from that point forward into the future. Therefore, the proper thing to do is to leave the language in MCL 28.425b as it is until 8 years have passed from the date MCL 750.226a was repealed. At that point, it will no longer be possible for there to be anyone who has been convicted of MCL 750.226a within the last 8 years since it will have been repealed for all of those 8 years. Only then can you remove it from the MCL 28.425b.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Michigan Switchblade Ban Repeal Bill Passes House

The Michigan House passed Knife Rights' Switchblade Ban Repeal bill, SB 245, with a non-substantive amendment by a vote of 106-1.
The amendment simply provides for a 90-day delay in taking effect after enactment. The bill now goes back to the Senate, where it passed 36-1, for a perfunctory concurrence vote.
After that, it goes to Governor Rick Snyder.

SB 245 simply repeals Section 226a (switchblade ban) of the Michigan penal code.

Email Gov. Snyder using the link below. It's a from email developed by Knife Rights Foundation

http://www.congressweb.com/KnifeRights/10
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Michigan House passed Knife Rights' Switchblade Ban Repeal bill, SB 245, with a non-substantive amendment by a vote of 106-1.
The amendment simply provides for a 90-day delay in taking effect after enactment. The bill now goes back to the Senate, where it passed 36-1, for a perfunctory concurrence vote.

SB 245 simply repeals Section 226a (switchblade ban) of the Michigan penal code.

Email Gov. Snyder using the link below. It's a from email developed by Knife Rights Foundation

View Quote
I sent an email Thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Senate voted and passed the changes. 

Looks like the Senate doesn't meet again until 6/28.  Anyone know if it will get sent to Snyder before then? 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:42:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Senate voted and passed the changes. 

Looks like the Senate doesn't meet again until 6/28.  Anyone know if it will get sent to Snyder before then? 
View Quote
Fantastic!  Hopefully the asshole doesn't veto it like he has on previous gun bills that have passed, easing restrictions.

This and the bill repealing CPLs (if it passes) are steps forward.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Was presented to the Governor at 2:36pm today.

Has until 2:36pm on 7/25 to sign, veto, or do nothing on.   Signing, or doing nothing will work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
YES........
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Has until 2:36pm on 7/25. Signing, or doing nothing will work.
View Quote
Fk'n A
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Michigan Switchblade Ban Repeal Bill Signed by Governor  

Knife Rights' Michigan Switchblade Ban Repeal bill, SB 245, was signed yesterday by Governor Rick Snyder.

SB 245, sponsored by Senator Rick Jones, simply repeals Section 226a (switchblade ban) of the Michigan penal code originally enacted in 1952. SB245 is the culmination of years of effort by Knife Rights and our friends in Michigan including Senator Mike Green, the original sponsor of the bill.

SB245 becomes effective in 90 days on October 10, 2017. Switchblade (Automatic) knives remain illegal in Michigan until then.

Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter noted, "this is a great day for Michigan knife owners, but there is still plenty of work to be done to rid Michigan of its remaining archaic and vague knife restrictions.  Knife Rights will keep working until Michigan's law-abiding knife owners are free to carry any blade they want."

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Nope.

That's the history of the bill from start to finish, and what was sent to the Governor, which he signed into law yesterday.

Now, we wait until October 10th to legally carry and posses a auto knife in Michigan
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Now, we wait until October 10th to legally carry and posses a auto knife in Michigan
View Quote
From what I can tell it was given immediate effect, meaning the repeal became effective once signed.  Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#34]
In before every locality bans them (if they aren't already)

We NEED knife preemption. Its ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

From what I can tell it was given immediate effect, meaning the repeal became effective once signed.  Or am I missing something?
View Quote
A 90 day to effect amendment was added in the Senate, and a concurrence vote was passes by the House.

The law as amendment, is given immediate effect, starting the 90 day count down.

The current ban is still in effect until October 10th, but it's not enforced in all jurisdictions .
You can take you chances, but it will cost the loss of your CPL, if convicted in court

I'm not a lawyer, but this is how it was explained to me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#36]
You can read it here. The 90 delay is at the bottom

Link
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like the house didn't know what they wanted to to.  Voted to give it immediate effect, after 90 days.  Friggin' politicians.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#38]
so, this begs the obvious question..

what's a good auto knife i can get off amazon for around $50 and have delivered 10/10?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
what's a good auto knife i can get off amazon for around $50 and have delivered 10/10?
View Quote
There was a thread in the GD section a few weeks back regarding "What's a good auto blade knife?" or WTTE.

IIRC, none of the recommended ones were under $100.  Which was disappointing but not surprising to me based on the cost for a good quality manual, folding blade knife.  Due to the cost, I doubt that I'll buy one.  I'd do a search and post a link to the thread, but I'm not a Paying ARFCOM Member.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I've owned Camilous (misspelled badly), Microtech, and Benchmade. Camilous was a WW2 reproduction and was under $100. The last 2 were $150- $275.

Note: Before you buy an Auto be it from the Manufacturer or a dealer, check the makers repair policy. Benchmade won't touch a non LEO auto for repair if you are out of their State. Feds still have rules against Autos.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought three today Raven Crest RCT-1 , Kershaw Launch 4 and  Boker Mini Kalashnikov Tanto .    We carry the assisted opening Kershaws hoping their American made autos are just as good. The Boker knives are lower priced maybe still decent ?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#42]
i've had a couple cheap boker knives in the past, was pretty happy with them.

it sounds like my first automatic will be more than what i normally buy...  i have a terrible tendency to use mine as prybars, screw drivers, chisels.. etc   i'm really bad on using them, heh

thanks for the suggestions guys !
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm being told that Stiletto style knives are still prohibited ?

"We are not talking about double-edged stiletto knives. These are spring-assisted knives, such as utility knives commonly carried by police officers and members of the National Guard."

Stiletto knives would remain illegal.  
View Quote
Does this mean any OTF knife or refer to thin double edge blades ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm being told that Stiletto style knives are still prohibited ?

Does this mean any OTF knife or refer to thin double edge blades ?
View Quote
OTF's are OK, but all knifes are to be single edge only, as per current state knife laws on the books. Tanto blades are also OK.

What's strange is the MI State Police were OK with the bill as a result of inconsistent enforcement of the current law.
But, their blessing was to exclude double edge blades. Which I don't understand.

I almost bought a MicroTech side opening, but ended up getting a Protech / Emerson CQB 7
It will reside in Indiana in my Buddy's safe until October. I'm 5 miles from the state line.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone know what this does to a butterfly knife?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm kind of surprised that Snyder signed it. 
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what this does to a butterfly knife?
View Quote
Needs to have a single edge.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm kind of surprised that Snyder signed it. 
View Quote
I really don't think anyone knew what was being signed. I have people in the know tell me it's just the Kershaw knives and another tell me no OTF knives are legal.
From what I read and what I'm told the only no no is double edge blades.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm getting a Microtech ultratech and a Kershaw launch 6.  

Do we have to wait till Oct 10 to ship them if ordered online?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm getting a Microtech ultratech and a Kershaw launch 6.  

Do we have to wait till Oct 10 to ship them if ordered online?
View Quote
Hope not FedEx has been busy over here .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top