Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 10:24:55 AM EDT
http://www.grandhaventribune.com/Law-Enforcement/2017/03/25/Michigan-Senate-votes-to-repeal-law-requiring-gun-records.html?ci=stream&lp=7&p=1

LANSING — The Republican-led Michigan Senate voted along party lines Thursday to repeal a law that makes it a misdemeanor for gun sellers to not keep a registry of their gun sales...
View Quote
...The bill also would let police officers carry concealed pistols in so-called gun-free zones. The exemption already applies for retired officers, private investigators, corrections officers and others.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Better than nothing, we can just keep chiseling away.   Its like the opposite of the Progressives
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Law Enforcement already carry in GFZ's concealed or open....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Funny thing is my CPL is not marked for exemption in pistol free zones. The county's argument is that LEOs don't "need" CPLs so they don't mark them exempt. It is quite silly.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of Michigan LEO's have had a cpl to purchase pistols personally. I believe the requirements for this was changed in February of last year that your MCOLES certification now counts the same as a CPL for the background check.

Some agencies may require a CPL for off duty carry if carrying a firearm that you didn't qualify with.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of Michigan LEO's have had a cpl to purchase pistols personally. I believe the requirements for this was changed in February of last year that your MCOLES certification now counts the same as a CPL for the background check.

Some agencies may require a CPL for off duty carry if carrying a firearm that you didn't qualify with.
View Quote
I'm federal so there is no MCOLES cert for me.  CPL just makes purchases easier. I've never run in to a issue carrying with my credentials. It seems the law, like many others, is poorly written.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
If I don't carry my issued weapon yet still carry under my fed cred's..my cred's just turn in to a CPL/CCW.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#8]
To clarify - I've been told was an agency policy type of thing through the grapevine, not law.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If I don't carry my issued weapon yet still carry under my fed cred's..my cred's just turn in to a CPL/CCW.
View Quote
Except the agency can still screw you for carrying a unauthorized weapon with your credentials.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Except the agency can still screw you for carrying a unauthorized weapon with your credentials.
View Quote
And since every manager wants a record of discipline box checked off for promotion reasons, I wouldn't put it past..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top