Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2017 8:56:52 PM EDT
Update: 27JUN2017

Well, after a couple of long days driving, we're staying over a day in Cincinnati visiting with our families for a day.

We'll be heading out tomorrow for Detroit, and we're really looking forward to getting to the new house!

We'll be heading out for adult beverages and food at Pat O'Brien's in St. Clair Shores after we unload.* 

Looking forward to meeting up with y'all at some point. 

*if anyone wants to help unload a trailer...

-------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

My wife was just accepted into a Residency Program at St. John Medical Center in Detroit (It's a good program - it was her first choice).  We'll be moving at the end of June or so.

We're from southern Ohio originally, and have spent this past year in San Antonio, TX (which we haven't been terribly impressed with).  We're looking forward to being back up north and having four seasons and all that good stuff.

Our biggest problem is that we don't know much of anything about the area.  What areas should we look into?  What areas should we avoid like the plague (besides the "Detroit" comedy option)? 

Ideally we'd like to find something near the hospital.  She's going to be checking through the EM department to get some recommendations, but I thought I'd also check here with the Arfcom Welcome Wagon and Intelligence Network. While we were there for her interviews I drove through Grosse Point Shores, St. Clair Shores and those areas which seemed ok.

(Basic gist is we'd prefer to rent, we have three medium sized dogs she's a MD, I'm a retired LEO-type guy).

Thanks, and we'll see y'all in June/July!  Hopefully we can get together for some shooting/eating/drinking and so on.

Rules:

Wife:

Dogs:
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just helped a buddy move in St. Clair Shores. Nice area. Personally, I live out west of Ann Arbor and am thankful I don't have to drive through the city every day.  Those dogs look drunk.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to stay near the hospital, you're looking at St. Clair Shores and the Grosse Pointes (includes Farms, Park, Shores, Woods, and plain Grosse Pointe). That far south, you want to stay East of I-94. If she's willing to drive just a little farther, you could look at Clinton Twp near I-94. There's also Harrison Twp if you like being near water further north.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
St. Clair Shores is a good bet.  I have a coworker that lives up there and has no traffic issues from the middle of Detroit.  

I on the other hand,  live just south of Detroit.  Traffic coming home is absolutely terrible thanks to the I-75 construction.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#4]
IM sent should you have any questions.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IM sent should you have any questions.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

Are there any quirky firearms-related issues we should know about?  Besides the handgun registration thing, that is?  Who collects that and what do they do with the information?  If you have a MI carry permit, do they still do NICS checks when you make purchases? Any other tips or info we should know?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The FFL I use runs me through the system even though I have a CPL.

The Oil Change Shop and Hardware store don't though
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you.

Are there any quirky firearms-related issues we should know about?  Besides the handgun registration thing, that is?  Who collects that and what do they do with the information?  If you have a MI carry permit, do they still do NICS checks when you make purchases? Any other tips or info we should know?
View Quote
NICS is not required with a CPL, but some places still do it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you.

View Quote
The biggest quirky thing is bars and open glass consumed alcohol and also the whole "entertainment" complex bullshit things.  If a place says "Bar and Grill", it's probably a bar, if it says  "Grill and Bar", it's probably a grill and has a bar... and probably good to go.

The next biggest quirky thing is the under 26" shortest configuration law, regardless if it's a belt fed M249, shotgun, 1911, or an sbr..... it's a pistol under Michigan law if it can be fired in it's shortest configuration and it's under 26".  Under folder AK's fall under this too as the flash hider is removable.

The pistol registration is collected by your CLEO, if they don't do it then you they will tell you where to take it.   They hate working with the forms, they simply just send them off to the state police who in turn dumps them in a file cabinet basically.   No one wants to deal with them and the info isn't very useful but the law dictates that they still need to take them, so they do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The FFL I use runs me through the system even though I have a CPL.

The Oil Change Shop and Hardware store don't though
View Quote
I'm going to guess you're from central mi area?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Since you say St. John's Detroit I'm assuming you mean on Moross.

Just to be sure though, there are several St. Johns locations; St John' Providence Southfield, St John's Providence Park, St John's Riverview on Jefferson, St. John's Macomb/Oakland.  

All of which people not for the area may call Detroit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Since you say St. John's Detroit I'm assuming you mean on Moross.

Just to be sure though, there are several St. Johns locations; St John' Providence Southfield, St John's Providence Park, St John's Riverview on Jefferson, St. John's Macomb/Oakland.  

All of which people not for the area may call Detroit.
View Quote
Yes, the location on Moross.  

Thanks again for the info.  Looks like we're going to focus our efforts on St Clair Shores and the Grosse Pointes (at least for now).
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I grew up in St. Clair Shores, I would move back there or Harrison Twp. if I was looking to move back to that area.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks again for the info.  Looks like we're going to focus our efforts on St Clair Shores and the Grosse Pointes (at least for now).
View Quote
Your wife will stay busy at Moross.  Hopefully she's not in the ER.  At first glance that little stretch by the hospital will not seem so bad.  It's on Mack and Grosse Pointe is on the other side.  Dont be fooled, it's still Detroit.  I can personally attest to some of the bad stuff that has happened within the proximity of the hospital.  There is a bus stop right in front of the hospital avoid that area and the riders like the plague.  Hospital security will be armed but still be cautious in the parking garage.

Buy your wife a car with good crash test ratings.  People drive like idiots, drunk/ high/ suspended and will flee the scene of an accident.  

There's really no reason to go riding around the suburbs of Detroit, especially if you don't blend in with the local population. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your wife will stay busy at Moross.  Hopefully she's not in the ER.  At first glance that little stretch by the hospital will not seem so bad.  It's on Mack and Grosse Pointe is on the other side.  Dont be fooled, it's still Detroit.  I can personally attest to some of the bad stuff that has happened within the proximity of the hospital.  There is a bus stop right in front of the hospital avoid that area and the riders like the plague.  Hospital security will be armed but still be cautious in the parking garage.

Buy your wife a car with good crash test ratings.  People drive like idiots, drunk/ high/ suspended and will flee the scene of an accident.  

There's really no reason to go riding around the suburbs of Detroit, especially if you don't blend in with the local population. 
View Quote
Sounds very much like the area around University Hospital in Cincinnati (except with less ghetto in the immediate vicinity).  We both worked there (she in the ER and I for the PD that covered the ER), so we're no strangers to GSW drive and dumps, psychotic naked guys fighting in the parking garage, the wonders of narcan and random patient family members getting struck by bullets that knuckleheads across the street are shooting at each other.

She'll be working in the ER. 

Having driven in both Detroit and San Antonio, we're both looking forward to being in the Detroit area. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#15]
FUUUUUUUUUU I forgot all about you, OP.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't agree with that statement. The suburbs are fine. You don't want to go riding around Detroit if you don't know the area.

Basically stay East of Mack until you're North of 8 Mile, and preferably North of 9 Mile. Don't go South of Cadieux on Mack.

Don't interact with the riff raff that will be outside the hospital. Don't leave valuables in the car.

Definitely have good underinsured/uninsured coverage for your insurance since anyone that hits you around there is not going to have insurance and will probably flee. Consider buying a dash cam for the car for about $100.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Some really rough area's...

You may have to wait for the Range Rover's, BMW's, Cadillac's and Yukon's to come to a full stop in Birmingham before you cross the street. The hipsters in Royal Oak and Ferndale may blow their vapor in your general direction.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Op. IM sent your way...
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any input on living areas, I'm just here to say welcome.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
My mom lives in Grosse Pte Shores, near Lakeshore (aka E Jefferson) & Vernier (aka 8 Mile). Beautiful area and not far from St. John's. The folks here have told you right when it comes to the immediate area around the hospital. Just don't fuck around in Detroit unless it's the downtown area.

I spent a lot of time hanging out in the hoods of Detroit in the mid to late 90's, but nowadays I don't like being in Detroit proper while I'm home visiting family. Just too much shit going on and I don't know people there like I used to.

As for driving around in the suburbs, whenever I visit I enjoy tooling around in southern Macomb and Oakland Counties (dad lives in Berkley) just as much as I did as a teenager. Most of the hole-in-the-wall/Mom & Pop food places I enjoyed back then are still around, and I enjoy seeing the changes that have taken place as well.

Hope you enjoy the area, good luck with the move.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My mom lives in Grosse Pte Shores, near Lakeshore (aka E Jefferson) & Vernier (aka 8 Mile). Beautiful area and not far from St. John's. The folks here have told you right when it comes to the immediate area around the hospital. Just don't fuck around in Detroit unless it's the downtown area.

I spent a lot of time hanging out in the hoods of Detroit in the mid to late 90's, but nowadays I don't like being in Detroit proper while I'm home visiting family. Just too much shit going on and I don't know people there like I used to.

As for driving around in the suburbs, whenever I visit I enjoy tooling around in southern Macomb and Oakland Counties (dad lives in Berkley) just as much as I did as a teenager. Most of the hole-in-the-wall/Mom & Pop food places I enjoyed back then are still around, and I enjoy seeing the changes that have taken place as well.

Hope you enjoy the area, good luck with the move.
View Quote
Berkeley and Ferndale have a lot more going on in/for them now then they did when we were teenagers

Op could live over here and get a little more mileage out of his money than in the pointes,
Having commuted to and from the moross location on multiple occasions while my daughter was having brain surgery I can say it's not that long of a drive at all, and if she has an off peak shift it's real quick
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome OP! I live about 50 miles south of Detroit just north of toledo. You're welcome to come down and shoot once you get settled
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all of the replies and advice via this thread and PMs and such.  This is one of the reasons I really love Arfcom, it's the best network around... well, unless I want to track down Shia LaBeouf's whereabouts.

We'll be getting into the area up there this coming Monday to look at some houses and hopefully find something we like.  I'll keep y'all posted.

So, now that the business stuff is mostly worked out - what are the good places to shoot?  What's the area around Detroit look like in terms of 3-Gun, USPSA and/or IDPA?  Any clubs/ranges have 200+ yard rifle ranges?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Update:

After looking at over 20 houses in two days, we found a nice one in St. Clair Shores and had our offer accepted.

Inspection in the morning and if all goes well, we should close in early May.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The next biggest quirky thing is the under 26" shortest configuration law, regardless if it's a belt fed M249, shotgun, 1911, or an sbr..... it's a pistol under Michigan law if it can be fired in it's shortest configuration and it's under 26".  Under folder AK's fall under this too as the flash hider is removable.
View Quote
I thought that was changed a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I thought that was changed a couple years ago.
View Quote
They changed the "Michigan" pistols that were between 26-30 inches and they are now considered just firearms unless they were grandfathered in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#27]
We're getting close to the move.  Just about a week and a half until we put San Antonio in the rear-view mirror.

Quick question - who do y'all use for ISP service?  XFinity?

Anyone using "Rocket Fiber"? Disregard.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We're getting close to the move.  Just about a week and a half until we put San Antonio in the rear-view mirror.

View Quote
Rocket Fiber and Lightspeed are fiber providers, but they haven't quite pushed out into the suburbs yet. They're mainly focusing on high density high rises where they can run one main line in and hit 50 apartments.

Comcast (XFinity) and WoW are the two primary cable providers. AT&T U-Verse provides DSL. It seems that WoW currently provides faster, cheaper Internet than Comcast in many areas in Metro Detroit.

I currently have AT&T U-Verse Internet and TV, but plan to switch to WoW once my roommate moves out and I lose the AT&T corporate discount.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cable and internet providers are slowly loosing their monopoly in the communities they service. It will be very specific to your neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Bump for update.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#31]
We often get a bunch or ER residents from different hospitals for a month in our PICU at Children's Hospital of Michigan, if she ends up there let her she has a friend there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We often get a bunch or ER residents from different hospitals for a month in our PICU at Children's Hospital of Michigan, if she ends up there let her she has a friend there.
View Quote
Thanks.  She says she will be over there at some point. 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Just checking up on everything,
I'm assuming y'all made it up here ok,
Give a holler if ya need a hand with anything or have any more questions as you get to know the area, I'm sure either myself or someone else local is willing to lend a hand.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Welcome to SE MI.

We're up in Shelby Twp area if you need a hand with anything!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks everyone!

We’re settled in and all is going well. Working on getting better employment, but having a good time so far.

We love being here! This is our favorite time of year and we are making the most of it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad to hear that its going well, welcome to Michigan.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#37]
You're a fellow East-sider now.    I'm in Mount Clemens when I'm not doing a long-term assignment for work somewhere else in the world, which I happen to be doing now.

Welcome!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Welcome.

If you happen to like shooting clays with a shotgun, the Grosse Pointe Yacht club holds Saturday and Sunday clays shooting off the dock during the non-boating (winter) season for members.

There's a new clubhouse to stay warm in and have snacks and beverages.

Might be worth looking into, especially if you're also a boater.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Welcome.

If you happen to like shooting clays with a shotgun, the Grosse Pointe Yacht club holds Saturday and Sunday clays shooting off the dock during the non-boating (winter) season for members.

There's a new clubhouse to stay warm in and have snacks and beverages.

Might be worth looking into, especially if you're also a boater.
View Quote
And if you're not a boater, you should be because boating is fun!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#40]
When I lived in Boat Town, the only pickup line I needed was " Wanna Go For A Boat Ride" ?

You can always be a "First Mate" on another's boat and pay for fuel and beer and.............

Captains always need someone to tend the lines or rode.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#41]
St. John's is actually outside Detroit in the eastside suburbs. There a many nice communities that are family friendly on the east side.

Much depends on how far you want to commute and of course budget for your home.

The eastside is close to summer lake and beach activity.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Grosse Pointe and St. Clair Shores are nice communities.
Clinton township is further north and is another place to consider. The Pointes and St. Clair Shores can get pricey. (Well for me it would be.)
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm going to guess you're from central mi area?
View Quote
Born in Grosse Pointe, since St Johns moved it main entrance to Mack, now in Newaygo.

Spent many a night at O'Briens
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top