Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2017 11:13:45 PM EDT
As title asks, also if you have taken classes there which ones and what was your take on instructors and benefits of having taken the class. thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#1]
MDFI is the gold standard of firearms training and learning.

My son and I have taken YSINTG, Handgun 1 and Carbine something, been a while.

YSINTG should be mandatory to get a CPL. You actually learn putting bullets into bullet holes vs PPITH putting holes in paper. Dot torture.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MDFI is the gold standard of firearms training and learning.

My son and I have taken YSINTG, Handgun 1 and Carbine something, been a while.

YSINTG should be mandatory to get a CPL. You actually learn putting bullets into bullet holes vs PPITH putting holes in paper. Dot torture.
View Quote

They offer great courses and curriculums, however, they are certainly not the gold standard.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
YSINTG sounds like a great course to me in reading about it. Just to go back through fundamentals and make sure you are refining the basic skills. Probably will take that and it should give me an idea exactly how good trining is with MDFI thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
YSINTG should be mandatory to get a CPL. You actually learn putting bullets into bullet holes vs PPITH putting holes in paper.
View Quote
While I do not doubt MDFI has good classes, the core idea of defensive shooting is to efficiently stop a threat.

And while bullseye quality shooting is nice for a range or easier to work on in a training class, defensively it is a liability, as causing trauma to vital body systems is the most efficient way to stop a threat.
Not every body is the same, and while organs are in about the same area, you still want the highest probability of striking one or more vital system of a target to stop it faster, thus small group shooting is inefficient in a defensive situation.
Also I'd bet their class doesn't work on your memorization of human anatomy for use in picking targets under stress, and making a nice little hole in the middle of the "A" zone is far from effective shot placement (if your first shot misses vitals, and all your others follow it...)

So I'll have to disagree on it being a good CPL class, though it's probably a wonderful fundamentals course.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems that your statement is a slight contradiction in that you need to be able to hit what your aiming at and where you would like to hit someone, as you state . So a reinforcement of fundamental shooting skills and exact bullet placement would be an asset to defensive shooting as well. To be able to"cause trauma to vital body systems" you need to be able to hit those vital body systems.   I think if you train to effectively be able to place all your shots into a small area, such as center mass, or in this case dots on a target, and can do so consistently then that is a plus no matter the situation. Obviously a defensive scenario will not always allow perfect stance, perfect grip perfect sight alignment perfect breathing etc, but through muscle memory of repetitive practice, in a stressful situation many of these things will be ingrained. Basketball players shoot thousands of free throws in practice, knowing that very seldom will they have the chance to win the national championship or an NBA title by sinking a free throw at the end of regulation. You cant really mimic that stress in practice, but you practice it anyway because then under stress you should perform better. Im not saying that YSINTG should be mandatory for a CPL but I personally think some CPL classes are absolutely a joke and really dont teach anything about carrying a handgun everyday for protection. I have had a CPL for over a decade, and have attended three of these classes, once for my certification, and twice for other family members as a watcher/bystander. One particular class was all .22 semi autos Ruger MK II's. Not a very popular choice for a carry handgun. There were no holsters present, no drawing from concealment no discussions, demonstrations or activities regarding malfunctions of any kind, so in my mind calling these a CPL class was a misnomer at best. There was discussion of legal ramifications after a shooting, and there was significant discussion on safety which is excellent, but in my opinion no one came away with any more knowledge of carrying a weapon then they had before going into it.  I do agree that a portion of the class on human anatomy and what vitals and where would be good, but honestly if you put multiple shots into center mass of a subject, as long as we are discounting armor, you are most definitely going to be changing the fight in your favor, whether you hit vitals or not.
Quoted:
While I do not doubt MDFI has good classes, the core idea of defensive shooting is to efficiently stop a threat.

And while bullseye quality shooting is nice for a range or easier to work on in a training class, defensively it is a liability, as " is the most efficient way to stop a threat.
Not every body is the same, and while organs are in about the same area, you still want the highest probability of striking one or more vital system of a target to stop it faster, thus small group shooting is inefficient in a defensive situation.
Also I'd bet their class doesn't work on your memorization of human anatomy for use in picking targets under stress, and making a nice little hole in the middle of the "A" zone is far from effective shot placement (if your first shot misses vitals, and all your others follow it...)

So I'll have to disagree on it being a good CPL class, though it's probably a wonderful fundamentals course.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YSINTG should be mandatory to get a CPL. You actually learn putting bullets into bullet holes vs PPITH putting holes in paper.

And while bullseye quality shooting is nice for a range or easier to work on in a training class, defensively it is a liability, as " is the most efficient way to stop a threat.

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
They were much better when still owned by Steve Fisher.

Now it seems to revolve too much around fanboys and swag.

But even under Steve, it wasn't the gold standard. It was a level/curriculum to take after CCW. Once done with MDFI, you move up higher. Even Trek (current owner) will tell you that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They were much better when still owned by Steve Fisher.

Now it seems to revolve too much around fanboys and swag.

But even under Steve, it wasn't the gold standard. It was a level/curriculum to take after CCW. Once done with MDFI, you move up higher. Even Trek (current owner) will tell you that.
View Quote
+1 Fisher was fun
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok so I guess next question is will these classes help out a veteran shooter? I think they will as long as the instructors are quality and serious about it. I have been shooting for a long time, have had a CPL for over a  decade, competed in IDPA, competed in Junior Olympics shooting sports when very young, and with a handgun shoot probably 10,000 rounds a year on average for the last decade. Thats not a ton but Im more then an occasional shooter you could say. I really want to refine and get better not just for IDPA but obviously cor concealed carry and the slim chance I will need to defend myself, family or area. If MDFI training is not going to help then Ill spend the money elsewhere. What ya guys think?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
MDFI is good people. I'm a long time shooter and have learned somwthing in every class I've taken with them. YSINTG will help no matter if you're new or familiar to shooting. The instructors will encourage you individually to learn.

Ive taken a lot of classes with them under both Fish and Trek, and have learned valuable things in each. Hoping to get a class in this year but dunno if time and finances will permit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And while bullseye quality shooting is nice for a range or easier to work on in a training class, defensively it is a liability, as causing trauma to vital body systems is the most efficient way to stop a threat.

View Quote
+ 1.... Stop threat as fast as possible. Hole in hole doesn't mean shit when the guy is climbing up your six! The best classes I have been in focused on reacting/firing under stress. Admittedly I have never attended any classes by MDFI...
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#11]
MDFI = GTG  I've taken Handgun , Carbine, and Shotgun classes with Trek and Co.  All phenomenal.

My .02
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm newer to the defensive shooting world, and plan on taking some courses with them this summer. I've heard nothing but good things about them from other shooters. They straight up tell you that they know all serious shooters should take training from a variety of different schools, and their goal is to provide a very solid foundation in defensive shooting skills to build off of when the shooter moves onto advanced shooting schools for pistol, carbine, etc. Yes, YSINTG is their pistol marksmanship type class, but they have a variety of other types of classes past that which they run as well, all the way up to a 2-day Force on Force simunition shoot house class.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
They are absolutely good to go and have been going to their classes for years.  I have 2 classes in my future this year and plan on signing up for more.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As title asks, also if you have taken classes there which ones and what was your take on instructors and benefits of having taken the class. thanks
View Quote

Sure hope so. I signed up for one of their classes this summer. Really looking forward to it as it will be my first class.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1 Fisher was fun
View Quote
He's still around. Sentinal Concepts or Dynamics or something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top