Posted: 3/8/2017 2:53:17 PM EDT
It's just over 26 inches in length. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What would be the purpose?

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I figure it would be a nice car/truck gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You're correct. It is a firearm, even under MI law. It's too long to be registered as a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't there be better choices for a more powerful than average car/truck gun?    I have an AK pistol that can fill that role if necessary and I would consider it to be a bit more practical than a 12 Gauge pistol.   But you may have considered details that I have not considered.   I appreciate hearing what other people think so let me know.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
This thing has an AR buffer tube, right?

Seems to me that anyone with access to a lathe can make this under 26" if they are motivated to.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Downside to that is that it would be an unloaded gun.  Because it is classified as a "firearm" it is not covered by CPL.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Downside to that is that it would be an unloaded gun.  Because it is classified as a "firearm" it is not covered by CPL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe madmatthew was answering the first reply asking what the point of the Shockwave would be.

As in, it would have been nice to be able to register it as a pistol and use it as a truck gun, but since it's just over 26" OAL that means we're SOL.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I believe madmatthew was answering the first reply asking what the point of the Shockwave would be.

As in, it would have been nice to be able to register it as a pistol and use it as a truck gun, but since it's just over 26" OAL that means we're SOL.
View Quote
We need to get back to that under 30" is a pistol definition again. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This thing has an AR buffer tube, right?

Seems to me that anyone with access to a lathe can make this under 26" if they are motivated to.
View Quote
No it has a birdshead grip instead of a stock.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Why would you want this as a defensive or a truck gun?

You won't hit shit well, you have limited capacity, you have to pump it, it kicks like a horse, hard to control.

As apposed to a pistol AR15 or a good handgun?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why would you want this as a defensive or a truck gun?

You won't hit shit well, you have limited capacity, you have to pump it, it kicks like a horse, hard to control.

As apposed to a pistol AR15 or a good handgun?
View Quote
Being that we're posting on Arfcom I want all of them.  I like having options available to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Being that we're posting on Arfcom I want all of them.  I like having options available to me.
View Quote
Reminds me of a friend with a safe full of guns (over 15 rifles).   All chambered.   His logic is in case he needs it for home defense.

I told him by the time he chooses which rifle he wants to use (he's incredibly indecisive)... it would be already too late.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Reminds me of a friend with a safe full of guns (over 15 rifles).   All chambered.   His logic is in case he needs it for home defense.

I told him by the time he chooses which rifle he wants to use (he's incredibly indecisive)... it would be already too late.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I was eyeballing the shockwave before I moved here.
Has there been any change in opinion?
For the record I want to buy the shockwave because I should be able to.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a handful of friends here in Michigan who have bought them from dealers.

Seems to be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can buy the Shockwave, but it cannot be registered as a pistol. The thread title is misleading. OP meant we're SOL on registering them as pistols, not that we're completely SOL on owning them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting in that means it doesn't have to be registered. Which for me is fine, I don't know if I'll get used to registering a handgun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting in that means it doesn't have to be registered. Which for me is fine, I don't know if I'll get used to registering a handgun.
View Quote
Yeah, it also means you can't carry it concealed. I am glad i got a deal on two 590A1's $650 for both after stamp(wait was 4 months though). Also, if you don;t want to register handguns get an cpl from a different state also.
MCL 28.432(1)(f) is what you are looking for. 28.432  If you let the out of state cpl lapse you will have to register any handgun purchases that were not registered during the time of having said cpl.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I got to try out a friend's, and while it was a fun novelty....even shooting from the hip with those 'shorty' shells, I'm not sure what actual purpose it would serve well
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think I would use the shockwave for concealed carry but I think it should be allowed.  

As far as usefulness? I don't know. I do know I've always wanted a short shotgun. That's enough for me to justify the purchase.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, it also means you can't carry it concealed. I am glad i got a deal on two 590A1's $650 for both after stamp(wait was 4 months though). Also, if you don;t want to register handguns get an cpl from a different state also.
MCL 28.432(1)(f) is what you are looking for. 28.432  If you let the out of state cpl lapse you will have to register any handgun purchases that were not registered during the time of having said cpl.
View Quote
So it cannot be a truck gun?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless you have a firearm grandfathered in, there are no more Michigan pistols. The shockwave is over 26 inches.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It cannot be a truck gun because a truck gun would be a concealed pistol in MI. For a firearm to be a pistol in MI, it must either be grandfathered as a pistol under 30" (the law was amended on 1 Jan. 2013) or it must be under 26" by the current law. The Mossberg Shockwave is 26.37" OAL according to their website. Therefore, it is considered simply a firearm. It is not a pistol because it is too long and it is not a rifle because it doesn't have a stock.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unless you have a firearm grandfathered in, there are no more Michigan pistols. The shockwave is over 26 inches.
View Quote
This isn't exactly true.

You can shorten up the gun by replacing the grip and register it as a pistol.

Or you can go buy a real AOW and register it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This isn't exactly true.

View Quote
Yeah, good luck getting it perfectly 26" and letting the government measure it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, good luck getting it perfectly 26" and letting the government measure it.
View Quote

It doesn't have to be "perfectly"

It has to be 26" or less with a $5 stamp.

Government measure it?  lol
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This isn't exactly true.

You can shorten up the gun by form 1ing the gun, replacing the grip and register it as a pistol.

View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FIFY
View Quote
Yeah, I thought he was talking out of his ass about that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This isn't exactly true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This isn't exactly true.

Quoted:

It doesn't have to be "perfectly"

It has to be 26" or less with a $5 stamp.

Government measure it?  lol
Your first post just mentions cutting it down. Then in the second post you finally mention it makes it a aow. You will get someone in trouble with your bs advice in the first post. As for the government measuring a firearm, I was talking about any form of government. If some local police department thinks it's short do you think they won't measure it?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can buy the Shockwave, but it cannot be registered as a pistol. The thread title is misleading. OP meant we're SOL on registering them as pistols, not that we're completely SOL on owning them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are correct sir.  At least for me it's real usefulness is in being able to carry it. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are correct sir.  At least for me it's real usefulness is in being able to carry it. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with you. Even then, it's a little bit of a stretch as to how useful it would be in a defensive situation. Outside of that though, it's really just a novelty.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I agree with you. Even then, it's a little bit of a stretch as to how useful it would be in a defensive situation. Outside of that though, it's really just a novelty.
View Quote
At least for me even as a novelty I'm only interested if I can carry it. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top