Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2017 10:18:14 PM EDT
I just recently purchased my 1st AR15 and was wondering if there is anywhere around Highland /Milford/Hartland area I cant shoot it?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just recently purchased my 1st AR15 and was wondering if there is anywhere around Highland /Milford/Hartland area I cant shoot it?  Thanks
View Quote

Can or can't?

Island Lake Shooting Range is nearby.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry can shoot it
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 4:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Pontiac Lake Range. I think Accurate Firearms on Dixie Hwy has an indoor rifle range. Same with Target Sports in West Bloomfield. You might check their web sites to be sure. They may make you use factory ammo they sell. No steel core stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot mine in the back yard some times sighting it in at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
It not legal to target shoot on the state land correct? for example all the state land on white lake rd across from Indian Springs...
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It not legal to target shoot on the state land correct? for example all the state land on white lake rd across from Indian Springs...
View Quote

It depends on what type of state land (Game area, recreation area, etc.) it is and what, if any, DNR land use orders apply to it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#7]
well they hunt it deer birds etc...
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I just realized you're talking about Pontiac Lake State Recreation Area. They have a DNR shooting range there. I can't find the land use order, but you aren't allowed to target shoot outside of the designated shooting range.

ETA: See this link.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just realized you're talking about Pontiac Lake State Recreation Area. They have a DNR shooting range there. I can't find the land use order, but you aren't allowed to target shoot outside of the designated shooting range.

ETA: See this link.
View Quote
well that's a drag   thank you
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty much all the state lands around us you can not shoot on unless if it's a designated shooting range.  It's kind of bullshit considering the hundreds to thousands of acres of tax payer land that can be hunted or horse ridden on, but never enjoyed by the target shooters.

If you want to have fun, travel to the Lapeer Pit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty much all the state lands around us you can not shoot on unless if it's a designated shooting range.  It's kind of bullshit considering the hundreds to thousands of acres of tax payer land that can be hunted or horse ridden on, but never enjoyed by the target shooters.

If you want to have fun, travel to the Lapeer Pit.
View Quote
I heard even the Pit is cracking down on shooters for certain things........ I have an abandoned gravel pit with around 800 acres by me... I know its PP but I hear shooting down there all the time plus an occasional full auto ......Might have to see if I can get permission, the company brings their trucks to me  to fix.......hmmmmmm??
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I heard even the Pit is cracking down on shooters for certain things........ I have an abandoned gravel pit with around 800 acres by me... I know its PP but I hear shooting down there all the time plus an occasional full auto ......Might have to see if I can get permission, the company brings their trucks to me  to fix.......hmmmmmm??
View Quote

The pit is incredibly busy, so they introduced a lot of new rules.  The rule changes can be made overnight, so people should always pay attention to the signage that is posted in small print.   There are a ton of rules but it's still very relaxed compared to any other public range out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top