Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2017 6:30:07 PM EDT
Nice day for a ride today went to Madison Hts. about an hour away to buy a stripped lower from DA gunshop/range.

They were overrun with non shooters (many should not have been anywhere near a weapon) renting guns and waiting in line blocking the counters, most pushy and intrusive and this started with the parking lot.

I let that slide, then when finally I get waited on I get out my DL and CPL and get informed my CPL is no good to buy a long gun and get the indignant "what does CPL stand for?" and I am informed I can only buy a pistol with no background check but not a long gun or receiver as its a long gun.

I ask when did that change? Store policy?
Answer: "Been that way for ever always, ATF rules and when the ATF checks the FFL not doing this, is going to have problems."

I could not tell you how many long guns I bought with CPL and no check.

I did not go down the road of what if I build this to a pistol.

So what are the facts on this matter???????? Have I and everyone I know got this wrong????

I will never darken the door of this place again, haven't been there for years it was not this FUBAR.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Just another employee who doesn't know what he's talking about
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Ann Arbor Arms and some others stores will not honor CPLs for waiving the background check. I avoid those places.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Having a CPL means NICS is not required.  Some places still do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Double Action?

I always hated that place and stop going when they went all "cop shop" years ago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I believe that Dunhams requires the NICS check regardless of CPL or not.  Company policy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I know it is up to the store as far as company policy on background checks and not an issue, done it elsewhere no problem mostly big box/sporting goods type stores.

I did ask if it was company policy and was told in absolute terms it was not, it was ATF rules/law and everybody else was wrong and breaking the law.

A simple yes or no would have done.

It was the fact that the way he talked down to me and spouting it as the law like I was an idiot, then throw in the ASSHAT/idiots from the parking lot on in adds up to never a return for me.

My money will spend elsewhere, as I felt I was a being a burden even knowing exactly what I wanted, no tire kicking and cash in hand.

ADIOS ASSHAT.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Never had an issue with DA, that was 20 years ago though,and I'm 200 miles away now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I was at DA yesterday... renting a firearm. Sorry to disturb you with my presence. It was crazy busy when I went.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Last time I was at DA I was shooting my AR pistol, and some big family was in the lane next to me taking turns with their father shooting his 357 revolver.  They were being extremely unsafe, so I packed up to go.  When I brought my target back it was full of much bigger holes from them hitting my target.  
They were trying to count hits on their target and couldn't figure out what was going on, so I pointed to my target and said "here are your missing hits, you were hitting my target."  They all looked at dad and he just rolled his eyes and said "right buddy".  On my way out I watched them fire a few more shots and they were hitting the floor under the target.  
On the way out I told the guy at the counter that he should keep on eye on the big group on lane X, they had rounds going everywhere but he couldn't have been less interested.
Never again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was at DA yesterday... renting a firearm. Sorry to disturb you with my presence. It was crazy busy when I went.
View Quote

If you were one of the ding dongs acting out apology accepted .

If you are a seasoned shooter which I think and hope you are I feel sorry for you to have to deal with all that stupid to shoot and or purchase a firearm, I don't and won't.

Been to many a range around the country and have never seen such a clusterf**k as that one on that day, just been lucky I guess.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I was actually breaking the old man into the hobby he's brand new so that was definitly some challenge . By time we were done he was punching holes with the 1911 dead center. I on the other hand had an off day. Especially the self defense rounds with the sheild. Holy god I couldn't hit shit with it for some reason.  There was a trio 2 lanes over with an impressive amount of hardware. I was quite jealous of their supressor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It's been awhile since I bought there but Gander Mountain and MC Sports used to do NICS even with a cpl
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:24:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. I have a LE6920 in hock as I got delayed last night.
It looked and felt great as I was reading off the serial before closing up the box. Now I wait for my UPIN or the blessing of the Fed
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL.  It's too bad there is still so much ignorance involving this process.

Ask this clown what line item #21 is for on ATF 4473.  You know, the line that says no NICS check is required because the buyer has a CPL.

Stupid . . .
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I would avoid a business like that at all costs.

They are poorly informed, I wonder how many other mistakes they are making.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It looked and felt great as I was reading off the serial before closing up the box. Now I wait for my UPIN or the blessing of the Fed
View Quote

Still delayed, a FFL may release the transfer after 3 Business days.
So after Feb 1, he MAY transfer it,but doesn't have to
He could make me pay for shipping back to the buyer here on the EE
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still delayed as of 08:34  Saturday
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have bought several long guns with no BGC, CPL and 4473 and on my way.

I'm not a big fan of DA, they are too political. From what I remember they don't allow you to shoot any AK's there.  Doesn't matter if you use american without bi-metalic.  However you are go to go if you are shooting a AR chambered in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Sales guy was wrong, not in the law.
But, a lot of shops still do NICS check with CPL.  
Once overheard at The Firing Line they have seen fake CPL's.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a shotgun at Cabelas on Saturday that I ordered from their online site, they ran a NICS from what I can tell...took forever.

Had I not had several hundred dollars in Cabela's giftcards I would have dealt with my normal FFL.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Still delayed as of 08:34  Saturday
View Quote

Just got the LE 6920 a few minutes,after it was delivered to FFL on Wednesday 1-25-17
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, I believe that Dunhams requires the NICS check regardless of CPL or not.  Company policy.
View Quote

They do. The asst manager that was training me put out a lot of wtf stuff and said it was ATF rules. Big part of the reason why I only worked there for one day.

It's also their policy to do nothing about ncic delays. They simply wait 3 days, and if the feebs don't call back, they tell the buyer he was denied. I didn't need the job and actually have a few morals (low standards, but a few morals) so I quit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They do. The asst manager that was training me put out a lot of wtf stuff and said it was ATF rules. Big part of the reason why I only worked there for one day.

It's also their policy to do nothing about ncic delays. They simply wait 3 days, and if the feebs don't call back, they tell the buyer he was denied. I didn't need the job and actually have a few morals (low standards, but a few morals) so I quit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple years ago when I was buying a pistol from the local Dunhams and their NICS access was down, they took down my info and when the system went back up (about 2 hours later) they got the approval, called me and told me to come back and get my gun.  But that was then; I have no idea what the people who are there now would do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A couple years ago when I was buying a pistol from the local Dunhams and their NICS access was down, they took down my info and when the system went back up (about 2 hours later) they got the approval, called me and told me to come back and get my gun.  But that was then; I have no idea what the people who are there now would do.
View Quote

Last August the policy is to do that if the system is down. If the system is up, but the check is delayed by the feebs, Dunham's does nothing for 10 days. I was also told that they'd rather have an employee do nothing but checks on the phone rather than buy a 200 computer and use the online system. The store I was going to work at? Everything is run by a single computer at least 5 years old that's still using XP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
That's why I call them DumbHans
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top