Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2016 5:47:11 PM EDT
Saw one guy in Tractor Sup[ly In Blackman Township Michigan carrying a 5 inch fixed blade and another guy carrying an open buck skinner in Brooklyn MI...??? Legal?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so. The way I read the law 3" is the limit for knife blades, concealed or otherwise. Some of the language is convoluted regarding hunting knifes "while hunting" if I remember correctly.

It boils down to intent, which boils down to the police officer is making the decision about you and your probable threat to the community. Since I have a CPL I don't carry any knife, not even a small one. I do own a multi-tool and keep it in my truck. I have never measured the blade length, but it's damn close to the limit. I think a LEO would be on thin ice charging someone for carrying a multi-tool, but my opinion would not be the one that matters.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the 3" rule mainly applies to those that have unlawful intent.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(tvc0rq0g1n5fwhxffb5r2niu))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-226

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
it is legal as long as you don't intend to use it for illicit purposes.  
Note: I am not a lawyer, this in my non professional interpretation of the law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
In any case it's not a good idea, If you have a steak knife sitting in the console of your vehicle it's illegal but if it's in your lunch box it's ok. Not something you won't to get mixed up in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top