Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2016 10:07:08 AM EDT
Was at a red light tonight and had two cars pull up from behind. A dirty white or tan minvan pulled in front to block and a guy with what I think was a baton smacked the side of my truck and came at my door until he saw me draw and chamber my pistol. Then they followed me for a while, knowing I was alert, armed and probably calling the cops (I was). Be careful out there.

I know that's not a lot of details, but this is Arfcom and I prefer to keep my business private and don't want to sort through 87 dumbass remarks from GD to find one good piece of constructive criticism. I made some mistakes in how I prepared and my actions during. and I've got some people already helping me unfuck my fuck ups. I just wanted to warn you guys. This was a fairly major road and the fact that they followed me (this was not a personal thing, no idea who they are , they just pulled up behind me at a red light) after seeing a weapon means there's some guys out there that aren't going to be easy to be scared off. Be prepared to shoot if you have to.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you a white male? This matters to the police in Flint.

Why did you stop at a red light in Flint at night?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm glad that this ended up with a decent outcome, and looking back for lessons learned is always a good thing.

It's not just the cops that need to keep their heads on a swivel inside the larger cities 
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The guy with the baton and his driver were white, I assume that cancels it out
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Why wasn't a round already chambered?

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I travel Flint. Thanks for the heads up. 

What was the "major" road where the incident transpired, so we might heighten awareness? 

Glad you you made it out of this very unpleasant situation unscathed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I travel Flint. Thanks for the heads up. 

What was the "major" road where the incident transpired, so we might heighten awareness? 

Glad you you made it out of this very unpleasant situation unscathed.
View Quote

A side road off Dort, Richfield I think (not familiar with the area), east of Dort. I was dropping off a gal and on my way home. They followed me onto Dort and south. Turned off around Davison and a few miles down the road I pulled into a gas station to wait for the cops and they came back. And not having a round chambered was not my biggest mistake, but I won't make that one again.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad you're safe.  It's sad to hear when people aren't that observant.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm glad you're safe.  It's sad to hear when people aren't that observant.
View Quote

I saw the cars coming and when the minivan pulled in front, I drew and chambered before he could reach my door. Was I supposed to use esp and set a counter ambush?

Sorry, I'm a bit snarky today.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I saw the cars coming and when the minivan pulled in front, I drew and chambered before he could reach my door. Was I supposed to use esp and set a counter ambush?

View Quote

I read that not as an insult to you, but others who aren't aware of their surroundings that have fallen victim to car jacking.

Maybe I am wrong? Dunno.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I read that not as an insult to you, but others who aren't aware of their surroundings that have fallen victim to car jacking.

Maybe I am wrong? Dunno.
View Quote

I misread what you were saying. And after 24 hours of getting sharpshooted (pun intended) by family and friends that have never fired a pistol before on what I should have done, I'm a little cranky.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Michael Moore and the fine citizens of Flint still don't get why GM left.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Must be something in the water.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not really. You clearly have a CPL since you were carrying in a vehicle. This implies to the police that you have a clean record. The perps that came up to your vehicle likely had priors, and probably multiple at that. There's a strong probability that they were meth or crack addicts and looking for money for their next hit. Had you shot them, I'm quite confident that the police would have been on your side the entire time as long as it was clean and justified. In my opinion, as soon as the baton tapped the vehicle, you may have legally been able to shoot. If it was only the side of the vehicle, maybe not, but you said you were boxed in so you may have been clear. If it was tapped on a window, I'd say you're definitely clear to shoot the baton-holder.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#15]
You're alive so you did well enough. Just use this experience to learn from the mistakes you made so you can be better prepared in the future. Shit like this never goes as planned and mistakes are always made. Seek out professional training & see if you can get training for in & around vehicles. We spend a lot of time in our vehicles, but never train with them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Glad you are OK OP.

J-
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you took this the wrong way.  I think you were observant and reacted accordingly.  It's when people get jacked because they were totally distracted or didn't process events correctly makes me feel sad.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad to hear you made it out of there that isn't the best area . I used to work down there and   saw some crazy stuff. That was 17 years ago I bet its worse now.
If you had a dash cam you would have caught the vehicle in front and had voice recording of your actions. I now live and work in a nice area but still plan to get one just in case. They are very reasonable now.
Other than not having a round chambered you did alright. You chambering a round may have help get the point across to the perps .
My sister was down at Henry Ford hospital for a long stretch. I went down there often and left many late nights . When stopped at lights the bums would walk out in front my vehicle begging. One night i was behind a police car and it ran every light just bumped the brakes and go. I did the same behind him and he never looked back. I mentioned this to a nurse and she said hun you don't stop at red lights down here. From then on I timed the lights and if the light was red bump and go.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Going into flint at night I'd want a rifle.... not a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a friend up off of Dort,  near the Machine Shop.  He has lived there for over a decade though and doesn't feel like moving yet.  

I treat parts of Flint and Detroit the same.  At night, I treat stop signs and red lights as yields.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top