Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2016 7:57:47 AM EDT
Planning a trip to Manitou Island next summer.  August some time, the date isn't nailed down yet.

Kinda curious though, anybody know what kind of crowds i should expect to be on the island with us?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#1]
"crowds" wouldn't be how I would describe it.

I'd guess less than 100 people on island at any one time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Planning a trip to Manitou Island next summer.  August some time, the date isn't nailed down yet.

Kinda curious though, anybody know what kind of crowds i should expect to be on the island with us?
View Quote

crowds no, but be wary of the black flies.

J-
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
100 aint too bad, theres pkenty of island.

how bad are the black flies?......worse than the mainland at the same lattitude?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My information on North Manitou is dated. I backpacked there years ago (when a young fellow) immediately after the NPS took possession from The Angell Foundation. Often, I would disappear into the "wilds" for weeks at a time. 

It used to be very much wilderness camping there. Never any crowds, even on Memorial Day holiday. 

My favorite hiking/camping was done on the West side in the woods adjacent to the beaches, and the Southern region of the island. Lake Manitou was also nice, but could at times have mosquitoes. 

At the time I was traveling there, raccoons were an issue, and would raid camp for food not well protected. I ALWAYS hung my food (think "bear bagging") at night to lessen the chance of nocturnal visitors.

I have some great memories of North Manitou, and hope the enjoyment I once had can be experienced by future generations.

One further comment: NMI is wilderness backpacking. Be self contained and self sufficient. If you run into trouble you will very likely be dependent upon your own skills and resources. Also, be prepared for an extended stay on the island in case bad weather prevents the ferry from arriving when you have scheduled departure.

--- I never encountered Black Flies, although Mosquito's could be a bother, at times. Good bug repellent, and a choice of campsite where there was a breeze to keep bugs at bay was my tendency.

ETA: NMI takes some time to enjoy. Plan a week at minimum to explore the island. Longer, if possible. Wilderness backpacking/camping is a unique experience. 
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
South Manitou is the one with the lighthouse, and where the tourists/campers usually go. I've been there many times, but not in 30 years.

It's a good time, but if you don't bring it with you, you ain't gonna get it. Primitive and remote is an understatement.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
South Manitou is the one with the lighthouse, and where the tourists/campers usually go. I've been there many times, but not in 30 years.

It's a good time, but if you don't bring it with you, you ain't gonna get it. Primitive and remote is an understatement.
View Quote

I've also been to South Manitou Island. A few years earlier than the timeframe of your visit. (At the time of my visit to South Manitou, North Manitou was still owned by The Angell Foundation, and visitors to the island were not allowed. Thus, I date myself: late 70's. Lol... )

I enjoyed my time there, however on South Manitou camping (was at the time) restricted to 2 designated campgrounds. 

With North Manitou, I could backpack and set up camp mostly wheresoever having preference. North Manitou is a wilderness type backpacking/camping experience. South Manitou, although worth a visit, is a whole different place.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Way worse.

J-
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Way worse.

J-
View Quote

Sir, perhaps elaborate and expand upon your experiences, and opinions.

Just curious. It's been decades since I've been to either, and would be interested.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just curious. It's been decades since I've been to either, and would be interested.
View Quote

Sure. Spent many days backpacking and camping on north and south manitou. The black flies can be terrible if the wind is not up. June-august they can be thick. Last time we were there we had one night we're if we weren't in our tent we were in the lake submerged to our noses lol.

Not sure why they are worse out there as opposed to the mainland but they are. If you have been to the UP specifically the Porcupine Mtns they can be like that.

These are the black flies that will bite through Carhartt lol.

J-
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sure. Spent many days backpacking and camping on north and south manitou. The black flies can be terrible if the wind is not up. June-august they can be thick. Last time we were there we had one night we're if we weren't in our tent we were in the lake submerged to our noses lol.

Not sure why they are worse out there as opposed to the mainland but they are. If you have been to the UP specifically the Porcupine Mtns they can be like that.

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-
I've spent some time years ago backpacking in the Porkies. Never recalled Blackflies. Nor on the Manitou's. Just Mosquitoes. I guess Blackflies are expanding their range. 

Of Blackflies. I was once sea kayaking in the Georgian Bay. The cockpit cover wasn't fully sealed while I loaded the boat, and dozens of Blackflies entered in the interim. I set off paddling across a 2 mile open water journey sealed in the kayak only to have Blackflies feast upon my lower regions. An open water crossing: no choice. By the time I reached landfall and could escape my tormentors, my legs looked like a shotgun loaded with birdshot had hit me, such were the number of Blackfly bites. 

I really dislike Blackflies. Perhaps, now besides no longer being a young fellow, a contributing factor why I now prefer good hotels as opposed to wilderness travel. And oh, once upon a time I lived for such. I have good memories though, gentlemen. ..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top