Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2016 1:45:22 PM EDT
I work in MI and live in CO.  I am a CO resident with a valid CO CCW permit, which is honored in MI.

Question I have is this - since my handgun isn't registered, as required in MI, can I bring it with me when I come in from out of town?  Is there some kind of exemption for people visiting or passing through?

Obviously the law would be idiotic if it allowed CCW but you had to borrow a MI gun or something, but I've seen crazier stuff.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry as usual, but be wary, you have to follow MeatChicken rules
>02 for CC
>08 for Open Carry
No Church,hospital,carry etc.

Have fun
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Pistol registration only applies to MI residents. As long as you can legally possess the pistol in your state of residence and have a valid CCW license from your state of residence, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question I have is this - since my handgun isn't registered, as required in MI, can I bring it with me when I come in from out of town?  Is there some kind of exemption for people visiting or passing through?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your CO carry permit is your exemption.

Quoted:
No Church,hospital,carry etc.

Actually, he technically could... Maybe.  The no-carry provisions in the law are written to apply to someone "licensed under this act" or words to that effect. A CO resident is licensed under CO law. MI law just says an out-of-stater can carry with their home-state permit. The other particulars could be interpreted as not applying to them.

Not that I'd want to be the test case for that, though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it, thanks.  I have familiarized myself with the "you can't carry here" rules, just wanted to make sure flying to DTW with it, and transporting it was kosher.  It will mostly be in my hotel and office, I'll leave it locked up at work when I head home for the weekends, going to buy a small safe for that purpose and keep my office locked as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also, if you are a MI resident and possess an out of state CC permit, you are exempt from registration.
View Quote

Ummm, you may want to recheck that.  A MI resident would fall under the registration requirement regardless of having a non-resident permit as MI does not recognize non-resident permits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top