Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2016 10:46:54 AM EDT
Moved to Howell MI, looking for opinions on any honest mechanics in the area. The kids have older vehicles ( 2002-2009) that need some work . All input appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about Howell, but on Old U.S.23 just north of Grand River there's a shop next to the ambulance company that services the State Police cars. Don't remember the name off hand.

I used to use Corky's just down from Belle Tire in Brighton, good guy. He retired and some new guy now has taken over there. I think it's called Brighton Auto Clinic, seems to pretty busy. I remember an article that said he was getting high tech gear to diagnose the new cars.
Haven't had to go to a repair shop in a couple years as I have newer vehicles still covered under warranty.

Buddy of mine will only buy his Fords from the Howell Ford dealer, hates the Brighton dealer. He used to be in charge of claims for the AAA area here before he retired so he got to know the dealership collision shops around the area. He leases every two years so he doesn't go to any shops either. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Moved to Howell MI, looking for opinions on any honest mechanics in the area. The kids have older vehicles ( 2002-2009) that need some work . All input appreciated.
View Quote

Howell Auto Center on Schroeder Park (off D-19 near I-96) is who everyone I know goes to.  Great guys, and very fair.  Done everything for me from fixing a rattle to swapping out my Ex's transmission.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent thanks guys !
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Another place nearby to consider is Kovach's in Brighton.  Honest as the day is long and have a great reputation.  For large repairs I do not want to do, or if I do not have time, I go there.  I got fed up with the stealerships and rip-off tire place service and I'm glad I found them.  Wish they had some hours on Saturday, but the prices are fair and the work is top-notch.  I've dropped a vehicle off and asked them to do a few other things.  They call me back telling me the few other things really don't need to be replaced.  My friends have had the same experience.  It's amazing what a following you get when you are honest and don't take people's heads off.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Murphy's Family Auto
Address: 6000 Pinckney Rd, Howell, MI 48843
Phone: (517) 552-3040

Rod and Dennis are seriously honest and smart fellows. I trained under and worked with Rod, and he (and Dennis) have absolutely no tolerance for BS of any kind. They do just about anything from putting modern ECU controlled engines into old hot-rods to fixing head gaskets on Cadillac Northstars (shudder!). Impeccably honest, and usually more than happy to get their go-fast geek on.

Look, I'm a professional mechanic...and if I was hurt or whatever and unable to work on my car, these guys would be the only ones I'd take it to.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all,  I appreciate it !
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Howell auto repair... just south of 96 on D19; owned by "Rick"; totally honest, impressively knowledgeable, (very much so)... I trust Rick (but maybe not so much his son, nevertheless the work is good), been in business in Howell for quite a while... a native.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top