Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2016 10:25:46 PM EDT
Hey all, does anyone know the laws on having a light bar on the roof of a Jeep here in Michigan?   Are they legal?  I assume you can't use them on highways or state roads, but what about rural roads and when there are no other cars around.  There are a lot of regs on the MSP site about lights, but they don't specify light bars, only headlights, fog and spot lights.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Auxiliary lights are legal. Kinda.

They can't be used on public roads. But there's no law that says they have to be covered up when on the road, like many other states require. So it's a don't get caught with the lights on kind of thing. I have a set of hella 4000s on my car and have one relay pole going to the high beam switch so they can be switched off quickly.

Edit: I don't think I'd want to put the lights on the roof, would get a lot of splash off of the hood. Headlamp height is better.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey all, does anyone know the laws on having a light bar on the roof of a Jeep here in Michigan?   Are they legal?  I assume you can't use them on highways or state roads, but what about rural roads and when there are no other cars around.  There are a lot of regs on the MSP site about lights, but they don't specify light bars, only headlights, fog and spot lights.
View Quote

Do you get caught speeding on a rural road when no one else is around?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a light bar on every other vehicle around here I swear. Like others said, they are fine just "illegal" to use on public roadways. That being said, I see people using them all the time. Treat them like highbeams and I don't think it would be an issue on rural roads. Deer suck.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
When you get th you will be amazed at how many deer are just off the shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thx guys, looks like it's a go.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference between being all alone and sharing a back road can change suddenly.  Someone can pull out of a driveway, drive over a crest, or come around a blind curve in the road.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The difference between being all alone and sharing a back road can change suddenly.  Someone can pull out of a driveway, drive over a crest, or come around a blind curve in the road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live on the back roads.  So I'm aware of the hazards.  I nearly took out two deer last night.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
As of late, I've seen more deer in the more populated areas than out in the boonies.  I think my brother's deer magnet of a truck has cleared out most of the local deer.  He's had at least 3 run into the side of his truck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:44:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw a semi with one being used for lights on 75 around Saganaw two days ago

Kinda annoying
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Thx guys, it's ok to have them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top