Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2016 9:27:50 AM EDT
I am a city worker in Michigan. I am very fortunate to have a defined benefit pension plan when I retire as well as healthcare. I recently learned that Governor Snyder may be trying to change that for myself and others like me. I have been informed by my union that he is wanting to substitute retiree healthcare with a stipend and "reform" defined benefit pensions to a 401k. The way I understand it, this will effect any municipal worker that has the same retirement benefits I do. My union has advised me the best thing that can be done is to email or call your state legislator and express your concern. I understand pensions and healthcare is expensive for municipalities to provide to employees and retirees, but I don't think it is right to take away the benefits that were agreed upon when the employee was hired. This causes some major unforeseen financial obligation to the employee and retiree. If you are in the same boat as me, I encourage you to speak with your union representative to learn more and send those emails and make phone calls to your legislator and express your concern.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Times change, I don't work in GOV, but my pension/ profit sharing / 401k has changed 4 times since I started 15 years ago.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Several State Supreme Courts have ruled against the pensioners when State governments decided to throw them under the bus. Health Insurance has been severely reduced and in some cases pensions paid at only pennies on the dollar.

It's not fair, just or moral but the courts have sided with Cities and States in dire financial distress. Social Security will probably meet with the same demise.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.poam.net/legislative/immediate-action-necessary-legislation-cut-retiree-healthcare-pension/

More information, please contact the politicians and let them know this is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,7-192-29701---,00.html

If link does not work go to Michigan.gov to find out who you need to contact.
Huck
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a fed.

I am PLANNING on my TSP to be seized one day, moved to Obamacare and my agency retirement to be canx'd.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Add more insult to injury, we are getting boned on the MI Catastrophic Ins. BS again and registration going up again GREAT.

We already have hands down the highest auto ins. in the nation.

I wrote both my guys for what that is worth on all counts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top